What sights for Marlins?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

What sights for Marlins?

Post by RBriscoe »

I am in the process of preparing a set of Marlins: 39A, 1894CB Cowboy (.44 Mag), and 336CB Cowboy (30-30).

Any thoughts on the height (low, medium, high) Lyman 17A front sight for various Marlins? Alternatives to the Lyman? (Your favorite insert for the front sight?)

What about rear sights? Williams receiver or...? What about a Shaver (or other) tang sight?

And then there is the matter of an adjustable iris for the rear sight and/or any lens to help see the front sight.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Rick
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: What sights for Marlins?

Post by 44 mag »

Rick
My wife and I shoot williams fp series on 3 guns and the other 2 guns i shoot lyman 57.I like them both.Cant see alot of difference in them.In the front it depends on if your dove tail is in a ramp or in the barrel.If it has a ramp like a 39a then you will want the short lyman 17a(.404 if i recall).If it is in the barrel like I think your 44 mag is then you will want a high 17a(.589 if i recall).For inserts for sb and pc i use a short post,alot of guys i know use the bead.In long range i use the bead.Hope this helps you.My wife is in the process of getting a merrit adjustable appeture.I use the lyman .040 on all 3 guns.
Finprof
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Finprof »

I use a Marbles tang sight for all my Marlins. I got an 1897 CB that came with one and a 17A front sight and liked the setup so much that I changed all of my Marlins to the tang sight. The Marbles sight is more expensive ($120 list, $85 FFL) but it gives about 2-3 inches more sight radius. The difference is at least as much as the difference between a Leupold and a cheaper scope with nowhere near as much increase in cost.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

Thanks.

Now to dig into the catalogs.
AMB
A Poster
A Poster

Post by AMB »

I like Redfields the best. Hard to find, but worth it. Although, I have an old Lyman on my 336A that is an awesome sight. I will say they aren't cheap. I did manage to get one here recently for $52 and change. But, have seen them going for over $100.00. I also put the target knobs on the elevation screws for all of them. For the front all 17A's, but I do have a redfield on one of them.