SB What do you use on Rams ?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

SB What do you use on Rams ?

Post by daisy »

Out of 30 rams I stood 5 or 6 with CCI standard velocity shot out of my 39a. At least 4 of those were full bullet hits, but the buggers just laugh at me.
I was not alone as there were a lot of sad faces on score cards.

TIA
Daisy
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Post by the ex pom »

that brings a tear to my eye.
i use lapua super club and dont have many problems
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Use SK Jagd and when hit only the edge hits cause me a problem
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Rams

Post by ppkny »

I also had some problems trying to use my Wolf ammo that I use for regular silhouette. I swithed to Federal 510 which gives about 50fps more in velocity. It problem is less accurate but the targets are big enough to allow for some error.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

I use SK Standard Plus; and have not lost too many rams. I think there are more rams lost due to how the animals are placed on the sets. A lot of the ranges I shoot at use railroad track for sets, and if the animals are not places on the back edge of the rails they will be hard to knock off. I know what you are thinking; there are supposed to be individual pads for each animal. However, like at our club the rails were originally set up for SB rifle with the individual pads; and it is not feasible to have pads for cowboy animals on the same rails. I really try to stress to everyone to set the animals on the back of the rails, but sometimes it goes in one ear and out the other. Partly because of this we have the shooters set the animals they are going to shoot next so they are setting the animals they are actually going to shoot. If they have any problems it's their own fault. Al
toad
B Poster
B Poster

Post by toad »

hi all
daisy you might as well throw rocks at them as you just cant shoot
any thing but chickens. and that because you are almost standing on them :roll: :twisted: . i have heard of a winging pom but never a yank ( ausie )

regards toad
the toad has croaked http://www.tedsmachinetool.com/
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

Who's winging, I was just telling it like it happen. I was also after some learned information on what works for other people, not snide remarks from the peanut galley.
I did mange to reach out a little bit beyond chickens for a run of 21 pigs.

Your Mainland Mate
Daisy :roll:
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I've tried Wolf and SK several times and haven't had a match that at least a couple rams didn't laugh at good hits. The Federal Automatch, not sure if you can get that on your side of the planet, is what I've been using. It's not as accurate, but only leaves a ram every once in a while. I'm not really a steady enough shot to sacrifice accuracy yet, but there are a few folks that use ammo like cheapo high velocity Federal Lightning or CCI Blazer and do well with it. As I said, though, they can hold center better than I do so they have more to spare in the accuracy department. I'm considering picking up some Eley high velocity or Super Silhouette (wasn't that the higher velocity version?) to try once I get my rifle tweaked after buying yet another one.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Have any of you ever tried the aguila 60 gr stuff, if it shoots out of your guns sounds like a promissing round.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

malinois wrote:Have any of you ever tried the aguila 60 gr stuff, if it shoots out of your guns sounds like a promissing round.
The problem with the aguila 60gr is that for one is not accurate enough and does not hit the targets any harder than the 40 gr. bullets. I bought several boxes to shoot the pistol cartridge targets with my .22 rifle and I was very disappointed with their performance. I hear people that want to use that 60 gr. ammo put rifles together with faster twist barrels but we can't replace barrels in cowboy.

I would recommend to try ammo that is a bit faster than slower standard velocity. I've had good results with Federal 900 the A kind which is faster than the B kind. You can try CCI mini-mags, I have also tested Fiocchi HV and Federal Champions HV for groups and they were pretty adequate for SB Cowboy rams.

The best ammo for Cowboy lever action is Lapua Scoremax with 48gr bullets but they discontinued that ammo several years ago. I bought several cases from Kengs and that is what I have been using myself with great success.

To minimize the possibility of ringing targets make sure they are set correctly on their stands because a lot of ranges use rails that are wider than the targets feet and if they are set towards the front rather than the back chances are you are going to ring some of them no matter what they are.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

lone ringer wrote:
malinois wrote:Have any of you ever tried the aguila 60 gr stuff, if it shoots out of your guns sounds like a promissing round.
The problem with the aguila 60gr is that for one is not accurate enough and does not hit the targets any harder than the 40 gr. bullets. I bought several boxes to shoot the pistol cartridge targets with my .22 rifle and I was very disappointed with their performance. I hear people that want to use that 60 gr. ammo put rifles together with faster twist barrels but we can't replace barrels in cowboy.

I would recommend to try ammo that is a bit faster than slower standard velocity. I've had good results with Federal 900 the A kind which is faster than the B kind. You can try CCI mini-mags, I have also tested Fiocchi HV and Federal Champions HV for groups and they were pretty adequate for SB Cowboy rams.

The best ammo for Cowboy lever action is Lapua Scoremax with 48gr bullets but they discontinued that ammo several years ago. I bought several cases from Kengs and that is what I have been using myself with great success.

To minimize the possibility of ringing targets make sure they are set correctly on their stands because a lot of ranges use rails that are wider than the targets feet and if they are set towards the front rather than the back chances are you are going to ring some of them no matter what they are.
Hey Tony... would you like to sell a few bricks of that Lapua :wink:

lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Hey Tony... would you like to sell a few bricks of that Lapua :wink:[/quote]

Sorry Bob, I am down to the last case of it and it can't be replaced at any price.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

lone ringer wrote:Sorry Bob, I am down to the last case of it and it can't be replaced at any price.
:lol: Thanks Tony, but I just had to ask.

Interesting weight (48 gr) on that bullet nothing like it out there now. I would think if we found a 40gr bullet with the optimal FPS at 100 yards we would have equally as good results. But finding that with the limited types out there now and one with good repeatability is going to be a difficult task I'm afraid. I still have some UM1 that works real well out there, but like you I'm down to my last brick. :cry:

All comes down to testing, testing and testing with your gun at the Rams and different ammo. Like Jason and the others SK doesn't seem to be the best for the Rams in my guns either.

Steve B. this would be a good article for you.

44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

My wife and i both shoot the cheap old cci blazer{$150.00/case}.We have never had a problem with any rams at any club we shot at.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I remenber the score max stuff. funny how stuff that works usally gets discontinued. too bad about the aguila stuff.