Used Scuba Tank Warning

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Used Scuba Tank Warning

Post by atomicbrh »

Just a reminder about used scuba tanks. The Luxfer tanks dated from 1972 through June 88("06-88" is the way it is stamped on the tank) will not be hydro-inspected, visual-inspected or filled by many scuba shops due to a manufacturer's recall because the 6351 aluminum alloy was not of high enough quality. USD and Dacor brand tanks were also made by Luxfer. The USD and Dacor tanks made during this time period also were recalled. For a time Luxfer had an exchange program in place but ended that program in 2005.

A reputable scuba shop can spot these tanks before you can walk to their front door with one and will not inspect or fill them. Our local scuba shop fills the recalled tanks with concrete and decorates their parking lot with them. They also said they make really nice lamps to give as gifts to divers. They also said you could sell them for scrap but mainly they should be rendered inoperable somehow. The Luxfer website has some conflicting information about these 6351 tanks. I personally did not take a chance with this model Luxfer tank.

Catalina brand tanks have never had a recall and all dates of manufacture are good for Catalina.

Bobby R. Huddleston
bkbishop
B Poster
B Poster

good info

Post by bkbishop »

this is good info Bobby - thanks for the heads up....I like the lamp idea
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Used Scuba Tank Warning

Post by atomicbrh »

As many a young person's Christmas wishes turn to the purchase of a PCP Air Rifle keep in mind the Scuba tank notice posted many moons ago. You do not want to spend your hard earned money on a "scuba lamp" as I did once.

Bobby R. Huddleston
ShooterP14
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Used Scuba Tank Warning

Post by ShooterP14 »

I purchased a used tank from a dive shop in Orlando. In talking to the owner, he told me that he (as well as most of the shops in town) won't hydro a tank (aluminium) that's over 20 years old. So, if you have a tank that was made in 1990 good luck getting it hydro.
The Wonderful White Winged Warrior - He's Everywhere! He's Everywhere!