Stock additions legal?

This is what we do.
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

As long as you don't run into problems with some OTHER section of the rules, you can legally do anything to a hunter stock that you feel is needed -- EXCEPT add or attach anything!

FWIW, I have a very nice Krico hunter that I don't shoot all that well for 2 reasons:

1. I seem to be a lousy shot. (I don't shoot anything all that well!) lol

2. The grip is so 'open' that trigger control is difficult at best. (It would be a fine stock for snap-shooting deer in the woods. That, however, isn't what we're doing here.)

My solution is simple -- I'm fitting it into a nice wood blank that I got from Mark Pharr. (Once that's done, I'll have to find another reason why I'm still not hitting anything!)

Guys, at some point you have to go with the rules. Even if you don't like them. Even if NOBODY likes them! They don't allow you to add a motor to your boat in a canoe race and there are some things that you can't do in this game. One of those is 'attach' things to your hunter stock!
E Kuney
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I guess I'm just stock on the difference between "reshape" and "attach" as it applies to a stock. In deciding how high and what angle I wanted the cheekpiece on the Varmint stock I'm reshaping, I taped layers of rubber mousepad material onto my Silhouette stock. I also shaped and taped blocks of styrofoam to the butt of the stock. I can see where these are attachments and that spacers like the styrofoam blocks would have to be an exception to the "no attachments" rule for them to be allowed to be used. Whether attached with black electrical tape (temporary), screws, or epoxy (permanent), they'd still be attachments, as they are obviously separate pieces. You could walk up to any shooter at the range that had never even seen a silhouette match and ask him if he saw any attachments to the stock. He'd take one glance and say "Yes, of course." A reshaped grip and raised comb of a stock that have been shaped, sanded smooth, and painted doesn't seem to be attachments to me. That same random shooter at the range would say "No, why?" if asked the same question about the reshaped stock. I think we're getting too deep into this and are losing perspective on what attachments are. Would the situation be different if the stock had come with a comb that high, but had been sanded down to try different heights to see what height the shooter like best before it were built back up to the original height? What if the shooter had bought the rifle "in a custom stock" and had no idea the stock were a different shape when it was originally purchased? This is getting way too deep into a gray area for me. I'm glad I'm not doing tech. :lol:

As I said earlier, Ernie, you are the tech officer at the only match I'll shoot this year that anyone will even care what I'm shooting. I'm not one for deceiving anyone or pushing rules. It's just not in my personality and either would ruin the fun of silhouette shooting for me. If your interpretation of the rule is that the reshaping I'm doing to that stock, which in no dimension or feature will be pushed farther than dimensions of currently accepted stocks like Pharr or Wooster stocks, is not legal according to the rules that we all agree to abide by, then I won't use it and won't have any resentment toward anyone involved. I won't be winning anything this year, anyway, so I'm not going to get uptight over it. Of course, I realize you'd have to visually verify that it doesn't push anything farther than the stocks I mentioned. As there's no way I could have it done, sent to a duplicator, have them go through the process of making a copy, and have a copy back and bedded by the Pe Ell shoot, so that really isn't an option here either.

I think Marvin owes you a beer or three... :lol:
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Hmm..

Could someone tell me whether such a "Disqualification" would preclude me from shooting the match? If not, would it preclude me from registering my scores in my book? Or would it only preclude me from contending in the match?

Since I put my money into the rifle and the fee's, perhaps it's wiser to withdraw and put the fee's toward a stock that's legal and fits...
ImageImage
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

dun bee seely. i'm pretty sure you are going to be fine. not only is Ernie extremely attractive, he is also a very intelligent an reasonable man. i'm doubting you are going to have any problems. lets check it out before the cup out at Tacoma. and... if it doesn't work, then Bob's your Uncle, you will shoot my rifle.
easy enough.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

Damn it! now that i've read all the other posts i take back everything i said about Ernie! there was no need to say any of it! Mordy, forget everything i said except the part where you can shoot my rifle.
dave
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Too funny!

Thanks a ton for the momentary offer though! HAHAHA

But I'll be buggin' you about 6.5 ammo soon enough. :P
ImageImage