Classification Update

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Classification Update

Post by OldRanger »

I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Hotrodrockets wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy0n_0500Vg

Here is video link! Check out all this persons stuff.
That particular link is one of our Texas juniors, and if you select it, will be followed by some other random videos that YouTube somehow decides you'd be interested in.

If you want to see all the videos for the 2015 Cowboy Nationals, here is the link for that playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9FiXhZOw2f

Here's the playlist from the 2015 TSRA State Cowboy Rifle Centerfire match:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... DY3VZTTScJ

Here's the playlist from the 2015 TSRA State Cowboy Rifle (Smallbore and Pistol Cartridge) match:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ToSffSJEld

Playlist from the 2014 Smallbore Rifle Southern Nationals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-o9J-U ... GRJwL37XUt

-Tim
Hotrodrockets
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Hotrodrockets »

Thank you "Tlee"

Great links! I hate the way Google tube makes thing hard to find.

Since Saturday I've been trying hard to explain our sport to folks I know. Videos are worth a million words!

Maybe time to start a new thread on Promotion of Silhouette?
Tennessee Sports Foundation President / Metallic Silhouette Society
Tlee
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Tlee »

Hotrodrockets wrote:Thank you "Tlee"

Great links! I hate the way Google tube makes thing hard to find.

Since Saturday I've been trying hard to explain our sport to folks I know. Videos are worth a million words!

Maybe time to start a new thread on Promotion of Silhouette?
Here's a video clip that one of our local TV stations did about 10 years ago at one of our state Hunter Pistol matches that I still send out as a teaser to folks that ask "what is silhouette?". I usually explain that, in addition to pistols, we also shoot the same course of fire using Cowboy rifles. I also invite them to a match and encourage them to shoot one of our loaner guns (a couple Marlin model 60s in 22LR, along with another tube fed semi-auto one of our regulars here on SteelChickens graciously donated to the cause).

The TV station's video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipQPvUyHvao

- Tim
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Has anyone at Nationals asked Greg or any other folks if there was an update on this? Just curious. I was thinking today this would be great to root out some of the sandbaggers. I see multiple shooters that shot 2 or 3 of their scores at the level above them. Which means they will now be moving up, but of course they won their class first. I'm sure they will find a way to cheat the new system too, but maybe this will at least make them work for it....
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Old Stranger, you are not going to get rid of sandbagging. The only way they leave is if everyone shuns them.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Replace 'shuns' with 'shoots'
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

This is a good question. Was Greg able to simplify the issue or did he complicate it? Was anyone able to determine he how much additional money the new names for each classification is going to cost the competitors?
Ferret Master
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Ferret Master »

I attended the competitor's meeting at nationals this past week. This new system was not proposed by the silhouette committee. It is an effort to make more money for the NRA. Instead of paying a one time fee for the book there will be a charge for each match just like all of the rest of the disciplines. They already know how many folks buy the books, they need to know how many matches you shoot to figure out how much money they could make off the number of matches you shoot. One of the previous posters did a good mark up of how much it could cost an active shooter. Al has it wrong on this one. If I'm wrong I'll buy him a tall cool one. I did not see Al at the meeting.
Our sport is in trouble already and this will cause more folks to shoot un sanctioned matches. This was the consensus off most of the shooters at the meeting. There are a lot out there now and looks like there will be more. The NRA looks at our sport and fees like the democrats look at the American people when it comes to taxes. They don't realize there are unintended consequences. "Show me the money"
If the new plan is implemented we will end up like the Hunters Pistol Discipline.
Ferret Master
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Ferret, No I did not attend the meeting at HP. I did attend the meeting at Raton which had three committe members present. This meeting was attended by maybe 50 shooters, and the main topic of discussion was the changes to the classification system.
I did not feel it was pertinent to report here on the meeting because as I had stated months ago nothing has been finalized and no fees have been set. From the conversation I had with Barry last week that is still the case.
I will stand by my opinion that there won't be huge fees attached to these changes. IF I am wrong our sport will be in trouble.
Both Keith Hill and myself have suggested just keeping the $13.00 fee we have now with this new system. The fees imposed on the paper shooters now go toward NRA personnel submitting the scores into the computerized system they have now after the match directors submit them by mail. If our match directors submit scores electronically with the new system this will eliminate NRA personel doing that work.
A lot of shooters at the Raton meeting bitched about the extra work being placed on the match directors. I personally would like to see the current books go away. They are a big pain to do at the matches. I wouldn't mind at all going home sitting in my reclining chair ( where I am right now ) with a nice cold drink, and submitting competitor numbers and their score on the new web site. I know some of these folks hold maybe seven or eight matches a year, I ran 28 this year.

If they decide to charge some extra fees to this new system, I'm sure some clubs will stop having NRA sanctioned matches. That would not be good. I could see maybe sanctioning the matches and giving the shooters an option of shooting the NRA match or just shooting non competitive at a lower fee. Really in my case there is no benefit in my scores being sent in as I am Master in most of the guns I shoot, and I have several of my grand slam pins. I would not be able to shoot long runs however.

My advice is to write letters of your opinion to the committe. I think these decisions are ultimately being made at a level above our committe, but they can make suggestions bases on shooter input.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

What a bunch of BS. They should know how many books they sold every year. They should know how many many matches they approve every year. If they would read the jury report they would know how many shooters were at the match. I believe they are trying to fix a money problem which may or may not exist. They have been aggravating us with this situation far too long. They need to tell us WTF is going on. I think the comp division is FUBAR.
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Jerry, how is the number of books sold useful? Some folks might shoot every silhouette game in the book. Some might shoot only one or two? Lots of other things cannot be deduced from the books.
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

One thing I think we can all agree on is they definitely put the cart before the horse. What was the point in announcing a change when they have no idea of what they are going to change. All that has done is gotten folks shorts all knotted up.
The indecision on this really messes me up as I have to submit our schedule and programs to our club by the first of November so they can get our schedule printed for the next year.

Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

cslcAl wrote:One thing I think we can all agree on is they definitely put the cart before the horse. What was the point in announcing a change when they have no idea of what they are going to change. All that has done is gotten folks shorts all knotted up.
The indecision on this really messes me up as I have to submit our schedule and programs to our club by the first of November so they can get our schedule printed for the next year.

Al Foust
Al, just do as we did, submit your match dates for your matches as usual. Then after the NRA finally makes a decision you can decide if you will hold sactioned matches or non-sanctioned (fun) matches. If they do tack on additional fees we will only sanction our State match.

I also hear Greg is retiring and Barry is taking over by year end.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
BrentD
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by BrentD »

Bob259 wrote:I also hear Greg is retiring and Barry is taking over by year end.
No THAT would certainly be big news if true. Where did you hear this?

Brent