No votes
Ruger 77/22
No votes

Total votes: 16

dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

Damn! I musta fell offn the truck cause this conversation's gone somewhere else and I'm standing on the side of the road. I thought LH2 wanted an affordable gun for a beginner!

Dont' listen to me, buy the Anshcutz. You'll skip wasting all that money buying stuff you'll replace later anyways, can't loose. I oughta know.

dwl
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Yep, through this conversation we've fast-forwarded him through about a year and a half of frustration and saved him many hundreds of dollars. Ain't the 'net grand?
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

You know the funny thing is these guys TYPICALY are the ones that not only skip 1-2 years worth of trials but seem to START at the top of A and make AA quickly.... I went through COUNTLESS set-ups and mutiple years before I purchased my annie and then went from A to AAA in hunter in just about 12 months or so...
Image Chicken George
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

But George, you know that's a direct result of all of the excellent coaching I've given you. LOL

GTS
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

For what it's worth...

Post by Jetmugg »

For what it's worth....

I saw a beautiful Anschutz 1416 at the local gun shop today. It was a very lightly used rifle which was traded in on something new. The rifle had a nice scope and rings setup. The shop was asking $625 for the whole setup.
CB
B Poster
B Poster

Post by CB »

Gotta be one oddball in every crowd, guess that'd be me, so pleased to meet ya.
Desiring an "American Made"? obvious $$ range in initial post, but quickly became interested in the 17xx's series at way over a grand new.
So here's my thoughts on the idea. First off if you're starting out and are unsure of future interest, resale of investment must be considered. However, too timid an approach in terms of equipment can cause a less than exciting beginning in the sport which could kill your interest (for some people: I started with pure junk, a Sears single shot, made by Marlin back in '62 or so that I hacked up the stock on and a .308ADL for HP). Year or so later picked up an Anshutz 54MS from a BR shooter, lasted a few years, and will soon have it up for sale to finance my current line of thinking. Think in terms of evolutionary development, you will change everything about everything if you stay on the learning curve long enough.
My vote is for none of the above. Since the CMP has put a few hundred 40Xs on the market prices have dropped from a grand to $750 or so for rifles. The action will fit in any SA 700 stock, will you have future plans to try HP? Training with the same gun has major benefits, Jewel triggers fit, rebarreling will probably be necessary unless you luck into one of the lighter contoured barreled versions, but even so, get burned out in a year or so barreled action will still sell for $750 or so, good Sil stock for 700 will always sell and you're out with min loss, and just when you though all the options were soooo clear!!! Enjoy the journey.
Carroll
LH2
B Poster
B Poster

Post by LH2 »

CB wrote:Gotta be one oddball in every crowd, guess that'd be me, so pleased to meet ya.
Desiring an "American Made"? obvious $$ range in initial post, but quickly became interested in the 17xx's series at way over a grand new.
A nice tax return changed my view a bit. :P
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Remington 40x

Post by stsbuyer »

Take a look at one of my 40x 22's. It has a Brown Precision. stock, Lilja barrel and Jewell trigger. I have shot some good scores with it but still end up using my Anschutz 1712 in a Mark Pharr stock. Just another option like CB was suggesting.

Remington 40x
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

Paul,

Always wondered who had the cool toys, now I know.
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
LH2
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Remington 40x

Post by LH2 »

stsbuyer wrote:Take a look at one of my 40x 22's. It has a Brown Precision. stock, Lilja barrel and Jewell trigger. I have shot some good scores with it but still end up using my Anschutz 1712 in a Mark Pharr stock. Just another option like CB was suggesting.
Is that something that must be built, or are these sold complete?

On another note, is there any reason to believe the Sako Quad, with .22lr barrel shouldn't be a very accurate rifle?
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

I would venture to say that is a brain child of Mr. Paul's, painstakingly built one piece at a time
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

40x

Post by stsbuyer »

My 40x was built by Butch Hongisto a BR gunsmith out of Missouri. I bought the action and barrel from him. I sent the stock to him for bedding. I installed the trigger and had it painted local. This project took the better of 9 months to complete. I am in the process of building another 40x in a Mark Pharr stock carved out of a nice piece of maple. I am right at 8 month along on this one. Here is a picture of the stock, can't wait until it is done.

Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Just curious

Post by Jetmugg »

STSbuyer:
Just curious - what is it about the 1712/Pharr rifle that you prefer over the 40X/Brown Precision rifle. Is the new Pharr maple stock a replacement for the Brown Precision stock, or is it for a different 40X action altogether? You must have some difficult decisions to make when it comes to selecting a rifle for a silhouette match. LOL.

SteveM.
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Just curious

Post by stsbuyer »

Jetmugg wrote:STSbuyer:
Just curious - what is it about the 1712/Pharr rifle that you prefer over the 40X/Brown Precision rifle. Is the new Pharr maple stock a replacement for the Brown Precision stock, or is it for a different 40X action altogether? You must have some difficult decisions to make when it comes to selecting a rifle for a silhouette match. LOL.

SteveM.
I like the Anchutz/Pharr combination because of the two stage trigger and the fact that it is a repeater. The repeater makes it possible to work the wind and to not have to break position for the next shot. The Pharr stock has a higher check and better palm swell.
The maple stock is for another 40x, I just wanted it. Nothingto do with need, and yes I have several smallbore sporters. But as I said the 1712 is old reliable. It holds zero and seems to be what I shoot the best scores with.

Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

40X versus 1712.

Post by Jetmugg »

I had either forgotten or didn't realize (the mind is a terrible thing to lose) that the Rem 40X were single shot actions. Did they ever make a 40X repeater?

I have seen pics of your red, white, and blue 1712/Pharr creation on other threads. Simply beautiful.

SteveM.