Tacoma's Easter Weekend Matches

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Tacoma's Easter Weekend Matches

Post by mordecai »

Tacoma Sportsman's Club - 16409 Canyon Rd. E
http://www.tacomassportsmensclub.com/

Sat. Smallbore Silhouette

MW - Dave Imas - 58/60.
1st Master - Steve W.
1st AAA - Rob L.
2nd AAA - Shawn Z.
1st AA - Mike C.
1st Lever (Side Bet - Marlin 39A) - Shawn beat me 28 to 27... (those buggers are small with open sights...)

Some of the gang...
A quick look down range...
My oldest giving it some more practice...
ImageImage
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Wow, sounds like Dave was on fire today. I wish I could have been there but both days this weeekend are full of family stuff. Oh well, I hope to see some of you next weekend up here at Machias and then at Pe Ell for the Conard Cup.
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Yea, It was Dave's third time out this year or so... He must have had two duds... sheesh. :wink:
ImageImage
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Tacoma Sportsman's Club - 16409 Canyon Rd. E
http://www.tacomassportsmensclub.com/
1st Sat & 2nd Sunday of each month.

Sun. NRA Smallbore Silhouette

MW & Master SR & HR - Dave Imas
1st AAA - pathetically, I can't read my notes... (if someone recalls, I'll update it)
1st AA SR & HR - Mike C.
1st A SR & HR - Matt H.

Some of the Sunday Gang
We finally got his super-light-weight 10/22 up and running... He doubled his average score.
Target Setters!!!
ImageImage
mav
B Poster
B Poster

target stands

Post by mav »

Mr. mordecai,
Your club appears to have a very nice facility. Are those pistol/cowboy rails in front of the smallbore stands? Are your smallbore rifle target stands moveable? If so, what are they made of? The club I belong to has had modest success recently attracting new silhouette shooters. Previously we had single rails. We have added targets, now we have some "width" issues. Your "high-rise" target stands might be the ticket! Thanks.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I'm not Mike (mordecai), but I can answer your questions. Yes, those are the pistol/cowboy silhouette rails in front of the smallbore rails. No, they are not moveable, that I know of. I haven't seen them moved in all the time I've shot down there. Yes, those tri-level target stands are the ticket and I'm currently trying to copy their design for my own home range. :lol: I just have to figure out how to make them moveable or at least fold down. :?:
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

As Jason reports, those are pistol/cowboy rails and they're permanent.

Our three-row stands are also permanent. I want to say they're made of 3/8" angle-iron all welded together with footings welded in as well. Also, the angles are open upwards and filled with poured lead to deaden vibration (and drilled with drain holes too). We hang swingers between the stands as well during sight-in or clinics.

The only problem with this setup is its placed inside surrounding berms and we never experience this "wind" phenomena every one else speaks of... :wink:
ImageImage
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

What I want to know is, how did you get the youngsters involved!?
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

I'm a very persuasive kinda guy. I use the "work or else" method. :lol:

Seriously though, our target setters have a tip jar. I've seen several sets of kids come and go as they grow up. As for getting them into shooting, they're often children of shooters. I've found it helps to get them their "own" equipment and get them setting targets - it becomes a single experience for them and they work with it. Also, it's not uncommon for us to have a kid or two shooting off the bench with a scoped Chipmunk rifle and some sandbags - they're tickled pink to hit 58/60. :wink:

My oldest fought with a slim Anschutz sporter and a CZ 452, but they're just too heavy in the end for kids. I slapped a $90 aluminum barrel on a stock 10/22, sprinkled in a few trigger parts and the thing is dangerous. I got one of my best scores with it, but he can hold it up all day long and he's thrilled.
ImageImage
mav
B Poster
B Poster

Post by mav »

Thanks for the responses. The thing I dislike the most about the wind is the sound of the rams falling off the rail when your half way back to the shooting line. ;-)