.22LR Shortage

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

.22LR Shortage

Post by teetertotter »

Two weeks ago, 1 fellow picked up his case case of Aquila Subsonic and another fellow picked up his case of Aquila SV from the same dealer. They ended up paying $400.00 each case. Then I got my call last Friday that I could p/u my case of Aquila Match Rifle for $440.00 from same local dealer that I had on order since January. I received special pricing as paid 1/2 down, which back in January case price was $375.00 for the Match Rifle. Case price now is running $500.00 delivered. After January, should be interesting what case price will be then. Then to check in March next year.

I checked Zanders Sporting Goods who is an Aquila Distributor and where our local dealer works with. Zanders distributes numerous brands of ammo. Have the distributors jacked up the pricing based on demand and will come down next year?
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
chuckjordan2
A Poster
A Poster

Re: .22LR Shortage

Post by chuckjordan2 »

Visited the local gun show this weekend, federal auto match everywhere for $40/325 box. Sitting on the tables, along with other federal cartridges (from WM, of course).

Interesting item was Eley Match was available for $10/50 (normal price) and Eley Club for$7/50. Everybody was walking by it.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

chuckjordan2 wrote:Visited the local gun show this weekend, federal auto match everywhere for $40/325 box. Sitting on the tables, along with other federal cartridges (from WM, of course).

Interesting item was Eley Match was available for $10/50 (normal price) and Eley Club for$7/50. Everybody was walking by it.
That is a reasonable price for the Eley. People are funny.... :-@
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

If you are an NRA member and get American Rifleman, January 2014, issue, it tries to explain. That is all I can say. Be patient as Ammo factories expand to meet ALL consumer demands. Where does .22LR on the list of manufactures priority to produce vs the other calibers......is anybody's guess.
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

I keep telling everyone that Eley is bad stuff and to buy American! :p

The last thing we need is to wake up the USA general market to Eley, only to watch those prices soar
- Joe
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I will be ordering another case of Aquila Match Rifle @$500.00/cs, current price, next month from my LGS. If it arrives around July 2014, I'll be just fine. August 2013 paid $440.00 from ordering in January. 2012, I paid $380.00/case. Plan ahead and there will be no shortage for you.

When we go indoor paper practice next month for the next 4 months, I will sell ammo at my cost if someone says they are short. Did that last summer.
paper
B Poster
B Poster

Post by paper »

teetertotter wrote: When we go indoor paper practice next month for the next 4 months,
What night and what time?

Scratch that.. Found it on the calendar. :D
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pistolero45 »

I had an interesting talk with the owner of our local gun shop concerning the .22 ammo shortage. He tells me that what little ammo he receives was ordered in 2013. And his suppliers are saying that current .22 ammo orders will not be filled until 2015.

Also, rumor has it that Remington may build a new .22 ammo plant to meet the demand. Startup cost is $90 million.

The shop owner thinks part of the ammo shortage is due the explosion of people taking CCW courses. Many of them are new to gun ownership. And once they discover how much fun shooting really is, they want to shoot more. And that means buying a .22.

Personally, I think the problem is due to panic buying and hoarding.

But I do not think this ammo shortage bodes well for our sport. It will be incredibly difficult to attract/retain new shooters if .22 ammunition remains unavailable at the local level.
Mark
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

There will be a new silhouette class soon. SLINGSHOT! Ball bearings are good for a lot of shots!

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Remington is expanding their plant in Lonoke, AR. Now if they can just get the raw material they need!
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

teetertotter wrote:I will be ordering another case of Aquila Match Rifle @$500.00/cs, current price, next month from my LGS. If it arrives around July 2014, I'll be just fine. August 2013 paid $440.00 from ordering in January. 2012, I paid $380.00/case. Plan ahead and there will be no shortage for you.

When we go indoor paper practice next month for the next 4 months, I will sell ammo at my cost if someone says they are short. Did that last summer.
I gave my lgs $450.00 net delivered for a case of Aquila Match Rifle, today. I am locked into that price paid. The price for Aquila SV, or 1080fps was $350.00 net delivered. I will have to wait until it is delivered, just like last year, as his distributor is out of stock.
ter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ter »

The biggest gun shop in PA had their annual reloading/ammo sale Friday - Sunday. I went for some Varget, and I was amazed they had 22s on sunday. They also had primers. 22s were limited to a brick, but stuff like rem/eley yellow box was available for 750 a case. This year's inventory was much better than last season. Hopefully things will settle down.
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

I got on Aquila's Mexican factory website to ask them,AGAIN, when they have their .22LR Match Rifle scheduled for production to send to our new US Importer Texas Armament and Technologies. For whatever it's worth. I am not expecting any reply, just as Texas Armament has not said anything either. I guess the factory is not saying anything, not even to the US importer. I wonder if all this has to do with raw material shortages trying to meet ammo producers demands. Don't remember reading that in American Rifleman's latest follow-up issue. I am one that just likes to know and will keep at it with Aquila.....anyway....whether worth anything or not. :ymdevil:
pistolero45
A Poster
A Poster

Post by pistolero45 »

My local guns store says he gets about 300 phone calls per week inquiring about .22 shells. Last week the store received a shipment of 80,000 rounds. In the pre-hoarding days, that amount of ammunition would have lasted about 2.5 months. But now.... That ammo was sold out by the end of the day. They even limited purchases to four boxes per customer.

The store owner's recommendation to to buy a gun chambered in something other than .22 Maybe it is time for .17 rimfire Silhouette. Wish I was kidding.
Mark
paper
B Poster
B Poster

Post by paper »

I've been having fun with my .22 Mag and my 5mm Mag... I've got plenty of .22, but the other two are available, so I'm backing off on shooting my .22LR as much..
Where I used to think nothing of shooting a brick in a day, I now plink a bit here and there with different rounds.. Even .223 is more available, and between a couple AR's and my trusty old Winchester 70 Westerner in .223, I'm spreading things out a bit. :ymhug: