Sight installation question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Sight installation question

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

A friend asked me to install Marbles sights on his two lever guns. Drilling location for the Win.94 is standard , but the Henry .22 mag. has plenty of room for sliding it further up the long tang. It came with three screws....a long one for using the existing rear most tang hole and two short ones. One short one would be used with the long screw, or if moving the sight location further up the tang two short ones would be used. Both these rifles have about the same LOP. Would it be better to position the sight further up the tang to better match up with the Win.94's location?

update:

Got them done today after work. Customer said to use the rear existing hole, so that is where they will stay. Thanks for the input guys.
Last edited by Bob Mc Alice on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
russ4570
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Sight installation question

Post by russ4570 »

Id say try to keep the eye relief the same on both guns, that way sight picture is same. Just make sure the bolt doesn't fowl on the sight.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Consider that you will probably have to change the front sight.

If you mount the tang sight too far back you will need a higher 'elevation' adjustment to properly sight the target. I'd mount the sight just far enough back to clear the bolt's throw. I have a similar tang sight on my .454- recoil is not a problem and 'sight picture' is no different than the receiver sight I have on a .22 lever gun.

Plan to change the front sight if you are shooting at targets 100 yards and beyond (a lower one will raise the point of impact).

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

General rule of thumb is mount the rifle like you plan to shoot it. Comfortable cheek weld good butt plate position. Then mount the rear sight to suit your eye. Set the front sight to zero with the rear in a suitable spot for adjustment. Small bore prone rifles only fired at 50 & 100 narrow range of adjustment. Silhouette rifle more. Long Range gun may have to accept less than optimal for short ranges to get what you need for long.

File, drill, riser blocks, do whatever needed to make the sights suit the shooter,

Boats