Silhouette scope requirements

This is what we do.
mutstng
Unclassified Poster

Silhouette scope requirements

Post by mutstng »

I shot in one event and got the bug. I have a CZ452 silhoutte to start shooting this regularly but need to get a scope. What are the needed features to be successful? Any help is appreciated.
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Silhouette scope requirements

Post by Trent »

Repeatability and durability.

Repeatability because you will be changing zeroes constantly. Some lesser quality scopes may not return to zero when you crank up 32 to 36 clicks and then back down a couple times a match day. We do a lot of knob turning. If its not repeatable then you are just going to be frustrated.

Durability because of all that cranking. Most scopes are designed to be cranked around during sight in and then they stay put for the most part. Not a lot of wear and tear in that regard. We need tough scopes (internally tough).

That is why you will see Leupold on 90% of the rifles in the racks at bigger matches. Weaver and Sightron make up the other 10% mostly.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Cheapest/quality/durability/power range you are going to find new.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-4044-652 ... 0682478702
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Other considerations are optical clarity, warranty and resale value. Leupold is the gold standard in all three categories, but Sightron and Weaver beat them out with some models.

Good glass is expensive, but look through a $200 Weaver and and a $500 Leupold and you'll begin to understand why people pay the extra if they can.

Leupold, Sightron and Weaver support their products the best. Once again, the more you pay for a a scope the happier the manufacturer is to support it later. Also consider that Leupold has a custom shop that will change your reticle for a reasonable charge if you want something else.

And yes, Leupold holds value best, and sells the quickest. People are always shopping for a Leupold, just like they're always shopping for an Anschutz.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

BCloninger wrote:Other considerations are optical clarity, warranty and resale value. Leupold is the gold standard in all three categories, but Sightron and Weaver beat them out with some models.

Good glass is expensive, but look through a $200 Weaver and and a $500 Leupold and you'll begin to understand why people pay the extra if they can.

Leupold, Sightron and Weaver support their products the best. Once again, the more you pay for a a scope the happier the manufacturer is to support it later. Also consider that Leupold has a custom shop that will change your reticle for a reasonable charge if you want something else.

And yes, Leupold holds value best, and sells the quickest. People are always shopping for a Leupold, just like they're always shopping for an Anschutz.

What he said.... ;) (I have a pair of FX3's for the reasons stated above...)

The Weavers I posted are made in the Phillipines and for the money are not bad at all. I own 4 of them.

Buy the Leupold once and be done though.
snaketail2
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by snaketail2 »

Look into Mueller Brand scopes. I have two and they are very clear, cost-effective and can easily focus at near targets. I've used Weaver, Leupold, Bushnell and others, but the Muller had all the various things I liked in one package. I shoot a 8.5-25x44 with mil-dots. It is less clear at 25 power, but I find 8.5 to be fine for SB Silhouette.
On my 10-22 I have a wonderful Mueller 1-4x24 with a lighted dot - it is my favorite.
US made. Check em out.

Michael
Overheard at the Dairy Queen "I live in Port Aransas,but I'm not from here...you can tell because I have all my own teeth."
Trent
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Trent »

Michael, not to disagree with you but the Mueller scopes generally can't stand up to the stress that silhouette dishes out. I've tried two (the APV and the Tactical), and a friend tried one of the bigger 8-32x I think. They just couldn't stand the test of accurate tracking up - down - up - up - down - up. Also. the indexing (clicks) are mushy and not well defined. On mine you could move the knobs back and forth with some slop without actually clicking to the next index.

Don't get me wrong, I think Muellers are fine budget scopes but they are better served on rifles that are mostly set for one distance and only changed a few clicks from time to time. I had my APV on a tree squirrel gun and thought it was pretty good.

In silhouette it is far better to shoot a $100 rifle with a $500 scope than it is to shoot a $500 rifle with a $100 scope. At least that is my opinion.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

IMHO.... tried Mueller scopes. They are fine if you are bench shooting or something like that. Silhouette, not so much.... warrantied 3 of them and finaly sold the warranty scopes with out mounting to get them out of the stable....

And I am 99% sure they are made in China.

bargain/budget, Swift = Korea, Weaver = Phillipines and Japan. If your going to spend $300+ then just bite the bullet and buy Leupold for this game. The resell is 75%+ as long as the scope is in good shape for the rest of the life of the scope. Look on RFC in the scopes. I believe frg22 has a nice older Leupold for a decent price.

Also I don't think anyone mentioned you are going to want 1/4" turrets, 1/8 is just too many clicks but if you like the scope there are worse things. Also make sure how much elevation is available. I know some of the older Burris scopes only had like 3 revolutions becuase the erector system is really large. That means to get the scope where all of your adjustments will be in the center of the turret travel
you'll need adjustable rings (like Burris signature rings that have offset inserts for that very reason).

The $100 rifle and $500 scope is true. It's fairly easy to get a rifle to shoot acceptable. Shooting it with a scope that is not repeatable is a exersize in frustration....

:-o

(notice I started off with IMHO....)
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

That's a great deal if you can handle the magnification!
- C.S. Lewis
mutstng
Unclassified Poster

Post by mutstng »

I have a leupold on my hunting rifle so i know they are great scopes. Would you recomend the competion series? Fixed power or variable? What power?
Thank you for your help, I want to geta good set up so the only real improvement is my ability.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Most shooters end up in the 20+ power range. Starting out it'll be harder but you'll settle into it fairly quickly. 6.5-20X40AO VX3 is a good scope that will let you start off lower and crank up the magnification as you hold gets steadier. The majority work in the mid 20X power fixed because they are lighter. The FX3 24X,BR 24X or the Weaver T24 are the most popular.

Go to the next match and ask the older and master shooters what they shoot and why. Look through the differnt powers and at the different reticles then go shoping....

:-bd
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

BCloninger wrote:That's a great deal if you can handle the magnification!
Ed goes by trkykllr on this board. He has nice equipment so I'd have no fear that it's as described. Plus it's a gold ring Leupold so worst case you send it back to get freshened up.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

I may be scope shopping this fall, and hope a deal like this turns up! That really is a good price on a great scope - hmm, I may have to go through my stash for stuff I can sell...
- C.S. Lewis