Centered up

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Centered up

Post by boats »

Took a few of paper targets laying around my shop before they went out in the trash. Though I would show you how we come up with sight settings. Each Critter we have a stencil & paint on cardboard. After shooting a "Normal" group offhand box in majority of the shots with a framing square then X from the corners to show center of impact. Make sight adjustments and record settings from true center.

Here's one too low, all hits two could have been misses easy

Here is a chicken than needed some left wind cranked on the sight, Note the high shot ignored. First one fired with the wrong elevation not used, no sense using off shots to set zeros.

40 shot Ram target used for a club match on swingers at 75 yards it's scaled down, uses a 3/8 IMSA Ram. Note the two high and two right shots you can't see in the photo were ignored. Bulk of the shots nice and centered, little bit off any direction would have droped the score if fired in a regular match.

Lever Actions Iron sights, and spotting with binoculars it's very difficult to get accurate zeros on steel, Paper it's a cinch. Centered on target adds hits in matches

Boats
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Centered up

Post by Shandy »

Like the way you've done that Boats. :-bd
Boom........clang!
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I'm using the same system. At a match a couple of years ago I traced the animals on poster board, than cut them out a pasted them on carboard. Now I just use them like a stencil and either paint white or black on scrape cardboard. Works out great.
ppkny
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

boats&Pete,when doing this do you favor POA or 6 o'clock hold.Just curious
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

I'm using POA hold on all my guns including my lever guns. All SB/HP scopes have dots and lever guns have .029 fiber optics in a lollipop post.
ppkny
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

I use point of impact & the Pinhead insert on Lyman 17A's for everything except. Look at the Chicken, fired the group just after I switched sights to Redfield 75 and all the way down far as it will go with the hammer just clearing the Merit disk, throws high on Chickens. You can barely see a small X just above the foot indicating hold. Have to sort that out.

Also note the hit rate does not reflect what you can expect in a match, Shooting slow single target not going down the line target to target and spotting every strike through a scope scores are higher.

Am planing to alter the method for smallbore, Here is a photo of unfired targets I just painted up. Will shoot these match pace on the stopwatch. Smallbore smaller precise is required, like to see on paper result of 5 in a row same NPA

Boats