Front Sight Height Question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Front Sight Height Question

Post by RBriscoe »

I need a bit of advice on what height front sight to put on a couple of cowboy lever guns.

I will be mounting the Williams rear sight on them and intend to use 17As on the front, but what height? These are the rifles: for CLA: Marlin octagon barrel in 30/30 Win (load will be 148 gr cast bullet with velocity in the 1,100 - 1,200 fps range) ; for Pistol Cartridge: Marlin octagon barrel in .357 Mag. (loads will be more like .38 Spl +P cast bullets). I will be using a Marlin 39A for small bore with a low 17A mounted on the factory ramp unless someone has a better idea. I just want to get a front sight height that will give me a decent zero and adjustment range without having to do hold over/under to get a zero.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rick
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Front Sight Height Question

Post by cslcAl »

Rick, You will most likely need a .494 height for your CLA and PC rifles. The 39A will need a .404 and you might also have to change the elevation screw in the Williams to the longer one they have. I am a little courious about your 30-30 load. Have you shot any steel targets with them yet. I don't think you are going to knock down many rams at that velocity, and I would bet you may have trouble with pigs also. Been there and done that. It is frustrating when you ding a pig. Al Foust
Team Sierra Member
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

My 39A took the front ramp off and dovetailed the barrel for the 17A, Sitting on top of the ramp gave me rear sight height when zeroed too high for the rifles comb with little cheek suport. However thats individual to each shooter and somebody else may like the high front high rear set up better.

36A 30/30 still use the Factory ramp and bead, and it's not as good a solution as a 17A. I just hate to dovetail a nice old 36A. 39A was a beater to start with so no loss.

My pistol caliber rifle is an origional 1894 and uses a tang sight, zeros anything or any load, lot of up and down avalable.

If you drive the front bead out of the ramps dovetail you can make a tempory sight out of two zip ties one clockwise one counter clockwise wraped togehter with tape. Cut it down to zero like you want then use the measurement to set the correct front sight height

Like Al said cast 30/30 it's hard to get enough velocity out of a bullet that will feed through the action and still knock over Rams. I would prefer to use Cast but have not figured out any good way to do it with satisfactory Ram performance. I used to shoot a lot of CBA matches and found with Gas checked 30's about 1600 fps is all they are going to do without lot of bullet temper and lube tinkering . Faster the groups open up. Doubt if 1600 and 170 gr Cast will give adequate Ram Performance. CPT 170's ought to do fine if up around 1600 . You may be satisifed with a good 3 critter cast load and give up some rams.

Somebody else may have actual cast 30 Ram experence to offer. My reservation is based on 2000 fps 30/30 Jacketed performance. Just enough Ram K/D none to spare.

Boats
GTKF
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTKF »

I've been using GC 170s in my Winchester 94 before the ruling change setting back the Rams. Never had an issue with knocking them down. Not an issue with the Rams set to tipping point
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

Thanks for the input guys!