Camo Finish on Cowboy Rifle

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Camo Finish on Cowboy Rifle

Post by glen ring »

At a match recently my wife had a hard time determining which Marlin 39 was hers on a rack of many. A couple of a-holes poked fun at her when she asked me which gun was hers...it took me a minute to grab the right one! The a-hole thing aside, she wants her guns pink camo dipped. Does anyone think this violates any rule?
Just Be Nice **==
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Camo Finish on Cowboy Rifle

Post by Innocent »

Glen, There are no rules about colors, go for it, sounds good to me.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

Dont forget to post pictures!! :D
Steve Tapp
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Steve Tapp »

Hi Glen, Let me know how you get the fore end removed as I would like to improve the finish on mine. I use a sticker on mine to distinguish it from all the other Marlins on the rack. I've also seen a barrel sock used to protect the bore/identify the owners rifle made from flannel material. Anyone who would make fun of, instead of assisting a lady, is an a**hole. Steve
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I think they just dip the entire gun. I'll let you know how it goes and post pics. Pink camo on a lever gun isn't the traditional cowboy look, but a lot of us wear shorts and sandals at a match anyway. Jeanne has learned that 99 and 9/10% of all shooters will help you anyway they can, especially women and youngsters coming into the sport . I'll keep you posted Steve. We will have more free time after the 1st of the year and hope to start coming back to your range to shoot next summer.
Just Be Nice **==
dustinflint
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by dustinflint »

Glen,

You should definitely go with the pink camo paint job! Every lady need a properly personalized rifle and we just happen to have a rule at our cowboy matches that shooters with pink rifles shoot free. So get that pink rifle ready and come shoot with us!

Dustin
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Cool! That's where we're headed.
Just Be Nice **==
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Don't pink camo the whole gun. I haven't seen a dipped lever gun that didn't lose some finish somewhere due to the action and mechanical functionality that's much different from a bolt gun. The foreend and buttstock should be easy enough to remove and get dipped, though. :)
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Not my call Jason. My assignment is to get it done for her!
Just Be Nice **==
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Yes, but if it ends up ugly because of something you did or the way that you did it, even if not your choice, you'll still be held responsible. It's one of the rules of marriage. :))
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Giving a woman shooter crap or even any shooter crap is just plain rude and has no place on the range. As far as painting you're gun pink...does it violate any rules...? :ymsick: I would just buy a nice fancy piece of wood to make it stand out. A very dear friend who passed away a few years ago, Had a tradition of putting a flower in the end of his barrel. Nobody ever grabbed it by mistake! :D
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

AD9, back before the Pharr colored stocks we used to use the mini flags in the end of the barrel in FL to pick out a rifle in the rack. Some interesting flags would show up and become the center of jokes, so one thing about shooting silhouette is to remember we are not the NO TALK position/prone shooters and most of us are not wimpy enough to wear our feelings on our sleeves, and for the most part we are a polite group .
I think a pink camo on a lever gun will be pretty, not a new color for a rifle, but I have never seen the lever rifles done this way.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
44 mag
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by 44 mag »

I had my Win Classic flamed because I grabed the wrong rifle in the rack once. That wont happen again. Glen I say go for it. You go to A smallbore or High Power match and most of the guns look like space guns so there would be no issues. The only thing I can tell you is if you dip it you have to be real careful on the criticle parts because that stuff is really hard to get off. It is hard like auto finish it may be better to find some one to paint it. And for the people laughing and not helping. They are A bunch of MORONS and should not be aloud to shoot. My wife is also A shooter and we have not encountered anything ike this and a good thing with my temper. Good Luck Mike Haynes
Steelshooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Steelshooter »

The camo process goes like this, and agree I'd restrict it to teh foreend and butt stock.

First a background color compatible with the camo is applied, usually sprayed. The colors is advised by the film maker (camo).

The camo is a film that is floated over water, then a activator is sprayed on the film. The desired parts are dipped thru the film and it adheres and coats the surface. If you have large changes in area, like an emblem, the film may crack at sharp edges and expose the base coat color. The dipped item is then sprayed with a clear coat for durability.

The company I'm aware of doing this is, http://www.droptinehydrographics.com/camo.htm, but many others on line. Some of the films are propritary, like RealTree, so there is a premium for their films.

There is some build-up on the surface, and like others have said, I'd stick with the stocks and not the entire gun, but up to you of course :lol:

THe other major firm is Tarjak, they were featured on and Orange County Chopper eppisode: http://www.tarjac.com/news.htm
Their "Muddy Girl" camo may be waht you are looking for...