Grip on Rifle

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Grip on Rifle

Post by glen ring »

Next month I plan on shooting my first real match and I've really been doing research and practicing.

I'm old and not very flexible and although I know I need to make my left elbow touch my hip bone( I'm right handed) I just can't get that done. I know the hip bone is in there someplace, but I can't make them touch.

I've found a stance and grip that seems to be as stable as I can get, but I don't want to get DQ'D on my first match for doing something wrong.

My right hand is where it should be, and my left hand is open and gripping the rifle around the action area and my middle fingers split at the rear scope mount. I looked in the rule book to see if this was an acceptable grip and I couldn't find the section that would forbid this grip and stance.

This grip is as stable as it gets with me. I would appreciate any input.
nanaimoman
B Poster
B Poster

Post by nanaimoman »

You should be fine with this grip, however like everyone who starts out in this great sport as you go through growing pains you will change and tweak your stance, grip, etc... till you find what works for you.
Hope this helps :)
steel_ram
B Poster
B Poster

Post by steel_ram »

I don't know anyone that actually shoots or can shoot with their elbow on their hip bone. Females maybe.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

position

Post by GeoNLR »

Simple and clear... to be legal you must...

Feet only thing touching the ground/ no other support
butt of stock must touch one shoulder - held in place by hands
one hand forward of the pistol grip
the chin can not rest on top the comb

section 5 = "Positions" in your rule book

rough translation...but legal and accurate...
Image Chicken George
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

That "elbow on the hip bone" always sounded good to me but I've never been able to do it. I'm old and stiff, too and, uhhh, a little heavier than I used to be. Just concentrate on getting that left arm relaxed so the rifle is not being supported or "steered" by muscle tension and you'll have accomplished what you need to do.
As others have said, you'll never stop trying little refinements in the position and that's a good thing.
Your present position is completly within the rules.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

grip

Post by glen ring »

Thanks guys. I'm starting a little later in life than I should, but this is a FUN sport and being the practical person that I am, I can already see a direct benefit to my hunting. This is the most helpful group of guys and gals I've ran across in a shooting sport.
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

steel_ram wrote:I don't know anyone that actually shoots or can shoot with their elbow on their hip bone. Females maybe.
Maybe I should tell my wife I'm a chick :wink:

Fortunately I can do the elbow hip thing........and last I checked I was of the xy chromosone type (that reminds me I should go put the seat down.....
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Elbow on Hip

Post by K Danz »

With a few exceptions, guys can't get their elbow to rest on their hip and have a comfortable, useable stance. The reason women can do it is simple physical anatomy and I don't just mean the hips. Typically, a womans upper body is shorter than a man's which places the elbow closer to the hips. As far as I'm concerned, it's an unfair advantage. (Just kidding ladies.)
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

I got to spot for a young woman this weekend that could manage the elbow-attaches-to-the-hipbone trick and even though she was a beginner, managed to build up a pretty good stance from that. Given practice and a lighter rifle she's gonna make a really good shooter.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

glenring;

As you have gathered from everyone else, getting the elbow on the hip is difficult. I used to shoot from a very straight torso and got very little support for the left arm. I learned that if I put some arch to my lower back it did two good things for me. First it seemed to make my upper body more stable which I attribute to tightening of the lower back musles through stretching them verses contracting them. Second, it lowered my left arm and gave me more support along the back of the left upper arm. Just remember to get the left elbow under the gun so you form a more vertical brace.

Of course, I'm not a long time shooter so take my remarks with a grain of salt. I suggest the cow lick size.

dwl
Team Oaf - Shoot Like An Oaf
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Glen,

Missed you at OFGC Saturday. Had 22 shooters in spite of 101 degree temps plus who knows how much humidity. Don't forget we have your book. Let me know If I need to mail it to you.

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

missed match

Post by glen ring »

John,
I wished I could have came. My mother-in-law's surprise birthday party was sat afternoon and I didn't think I could get back in time so I played it safe. I plan on being at your match the 25th, If it's still gonna be held that Sat.
Thanks for holding onto my book. I'll buy you a coke in lieu of charging me a holding fee.
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

No holding fee, I'll drink whatever you bring......As far as my comment on how to hold the rifle, my approach is the same with my highpower (bear in mind, limited experience here) as with my smallbore. Take the pisto grip and grip it as you would an old freind's handshake. Lay your cheek on the comb until it feels like you cold rest there forever.....execute the shot...Good luck

John
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I appreciate any advice on shooting a precision sport like this one. I've always been a run and gun shooter and this sport MAKES me execute a more accurate shot than has been required of me in the past. I've only been in this sport a short while and I've learned so much about how to place a better shot and I've learned better technique. I've watched you at a couple of matches and the teenager that you shoot with. Just watching that young man shoot the last match, I learned better hand palcement on the rifle. I always have diet coke and water, but if you prfer another beverage just let me know and I'll bring it next match.
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

25 year old Glenallen....But Gatorade will do....The kid is good, isn't he?...Very coachable, very good kid. This past year and a half have been a great run with him.

Kitty