17A height, guess??

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Bill the Lurker
A Poster
A Poster

17A height, guess??

Post by Bill the Lurker »

Absolute CLA Noob here looking to glean from those more experienced.
As stated on other thread, there are various heights of Lyman 17a front sights.
I have no clue as to which height is most useful.
If I have a Marlin 1895 44mag/spl, and want to use Williams FP/TK rear sight, any guesses on what height Lyman 17a front sight to use?

I hate to use the process of elimination.

Thanks much,
Bill
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: 17A height, guess??

Post by glen ring »

Bill

If you can measure the front sight that might help. I had to go to the .494 lyman sight for my 357 and 32-20 cowboy marlins.
Just Be Nice **==
dgslyr
B Poster
B Poster

Post by dgslyr »

If your rifle has a ramp front sight ,use the .404 tall one.If it has a dovetail front sight,put the Williams FP on and shoot it. If you can zero at 100 get one as close to the same height as that one.If the elevation won't go quite low enough get the next taller 17A.Some times when putting the .404 17A in the ramp you will not be able to go high enough for 200 because the elevation screw is too short.So you have to get the long elevation screw.I've had to cut the long elevation screw because it was too long.If the receiver and barrel threads were perfectly concentric to the bore you wouldn't have jump through all these hoops sometimes.Some guns you just put the sights on and shoot and some you can't.I have 10 Marlins and one Browning with williams FP TK and Lyman 17a's.2 have long elevation screws that had to be cut.2 others have .584 tall 17A's because the .494 was to short.The others I just put the sights on and zeroed them.You won't know untill you shoot.
Last edited by dgslyr on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill the Lurker
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Bill the Lurker »

thanks guys, now I have a direction to go.
Much appreciated.
Bill