New Marlin 1894 44 Mag

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
RickK
Unclassified Poster

New Marlin 1894 44 Mag

Post by RickK »

Since I volunteered to help run the NRA / IMHSA silhouette shoots at our club next year ( Wilkes-Barre Rifle & Pistol Club, North East PA. ) I took a few pistols that I haven't shot in a few years , to the local Gun Shop to trade on a suitable
rifle for NRA CLA & CLAPC silhouette shoots that will most definitely be part of our Match Schedule. I came home with a brand new Marlin 1894, 44 Mag with a 20" Barrel and Beautiful Walnut Stock. I was quite surprised by the quality of the rifle. I read quite a few post's about how Marlin's Quality Control has taken a nose dive, so I looked it over really good before taking it, the fit and finish is excellent, no buggered screw, no gaps between metal and wood, and the action was acceptable, not super slick but I'm sure it will smooth out after a few hundred rounds. I went on line and ordered a Skinner Express Rear Apeture Sight which mounts to the existing pre-drilled and tapped holes on the top of the receiver, and a taller front sight insert. The only thing to do now is start working up loads for it. I have quite a few Missouri Cast Bullets in 240gr. Elmer Kieth style and also in 300gr. I want to use Lead Bullets exclusively to keep reloading cost at a minimum. I have read that the most accurate bullets for the Marlin 44 Mag are between 200 and 240 gr. I would really appreciate any advise for suitable CLAPC and CLA silhouette loads. I most likely will be shooting CLAPC up to 100 yards so I don't need anything excessive, even a 44 special should take down the Rams.

Thanks
Rick
dgslyr
B Poster
B Poster

Re: New Marlin 1894 44 Mag

Post by dgslyr »

I load mine like it was a 44/40.200 gr RNFP from Dardas cast bullets, .432 in diameter,with 10 grs of Unique.Anything smaller in diameter leads up quick.I also tumble lube them in Lee liquid alox.That blue stuff that so many commercial casters like doesn't do well,for me at least,not by it self anyway.This load is 1398 FPS.20 clicks on the williams FP TK from pigs @50 to rams @100.I have used 180 gr RNF from the same caster with 231Those worked well too.The last time I used the 44 I shot the full size targets with 200 gr. bullets @ 1398 FPS.77 clicks from the pigs @100 to the rams @200.I rang 2 rams but 7 fell.The felow that was spotting for me said he could see the bullets going down range thru his spotting scope.
litig8or
B Poster
B Poster

Post by litig8or »

Rick,
I'm originally from NEPA and get back every now and again. Where is your club located and could you let me know the schedule for next year's silhouette matches?
Thanks.
RickK
Unclassified Poster

Post by RickK »

Litig8or
Nothing is definite as of yet, but I will post when we have our schedule worked out.
Wilkes-Barre Rifle & Pistol is located in Hunlocks Creek, PA

Rick
RickK
Unclassified Poster

Post by RickK »

dgslyr
Thanks for the info, I just placed an order for Dardas,s 200gr RNFP sized for .432. I have plenty of Unique and WW 231 on hand.
As soon as my Skinner sight comes in and the bullets I'll load some up and head to the range.
I have plenty of 44 Mag reloads I've been using in my Contender's but the bullets are sized at .430 I'll still give them a try though.

Thanks
Rick
RickK
Unclassified Poster

Post by RickK »

Attended our Club's Monthly Meeting this evening ( Wilkes-Barre Rifle and Pistol Club in NE PA.). We will have Monthly Silhouette Matches in 2012 ,the Fourth Sunday of every Month running March thru Oct. We will be shooting CLA, CLAPC, and CLA Small Bore also NRA Small Bore Rifle Silhouette, will post more info as to exactly what else we will be shooting soon.
:-bd :-bd
Rick
Cimarron Red
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Cimarron Red »

Rickk,

Although not CLA, the Mainville Sportsmens Club east of Bloomsburg and just south of I-80 has a monthly buffalo shoot for leverguns and single-shot rifles, April through October. It's a great little shoot. Here's the web site:

http://www.mscrange.org/
Last edited by Cimarron Red on Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

RickK, Great news. I just checked the map and your inly 82 miles from NY. Hope to see you in 2012 when you get going.
ppkny