Help with scope for FWB300s

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
12Shot
B Poster
B Poster

Help with scope for FWB300s

Post by 12Shot »

Hello -- I use to shoot smallbore silhouette had to give it up and now I would like to covert my 300s to shoot on a small backyard range. I use to shoot 24x with target dot. I'm thinking now of 4-16x but I mostly see MIL-Dot. Can you guys give me some advice on what works best for you on a gun like mine. I don't want to go to the expensive Leupole, what other good options exist? Are there lower cost target dot scopes? Joe
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Help with scope for FWB300s

Post by Joaquin B »

I use an old Lyman 10X scope on my FWB 300 and it works great, since it will focus all the way down to 10 meters. I practice shooting at reduced paper targets, counting only holes where at least half of pellet went into the "body" of the animal as a hit. I previously used a little Weaver KT 15, which I now regret selling. None of these scopes have a dot reticle, and in my very humble opinion, I don't think they are necessary. You may be able to find some of these scopes in the internet. Just make sure they are capable of focusing down to 10 meters (33 feet).
Joaquin B
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

Tried a normal sized scope but it was too hard to load the pellets. A Clearidge worked ok and I have heard of people using Bugbuster scopes.
Some examples here http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/th ... tch+rifles
Shandy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Shandy »

I'm not sure how you go with loading port clearance as Daisy has mentioned, but Bushnell offer a few nice options.

The Bushnell Legend 5-15X is highly regarded and an affordable option (I think they are still being made, about the $150), then of course you can go up to the 4200 6-24X or even 8-32. Half the price of the Leupold. The 8-32 is LOOOONG so might go right over the port leaving plenty of clearance for fat fingers but I'm only guessing. See if you can work backwards from photos to see what works. These scopes focus down to 10m.

Hard to find many with a dot. Weaver I think offer dot options. Bushnell 4200's can be had I think if I remember right.

Well, hope it helps somewhat. Beautiful little rifles the 300's, I've got my eye on a Tyrolean stocked version but just trying to fight the urge.

Cheers.
Boom........clang!
12Shot
B Poster
B Poster

Post by 12Shot »

All -- Thanks for your advice. I ended up with a 4X16 40AO leaper scope and a beeman 1 piece adjustable mount. After getting it sighted in it really works great so far. The settings seem repeatable and the optics are pretty good for the price. I'm getting use to the Mil-dot since I was use to the 1/8 target dots on my Leupold scopes. The 300s has quite a bit of drop so the adjustable mount is a must. Most important, I'm not having any problem with loading pellets with the high mount. I'm really impressed with shooting the knock-down targets I'm using on my range, feels just like smallbore. I'll get some pictures out of both the rifle and my new backyard range next week. Joe