Lever Action Big Bore Silhouette

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Lever Action Big Bore Silhouette

Post by glen ring »

Have any of you used your Iron Sighted Cowboy Lever action on the big bore rifle targets, at big bore rifle range ? I know my 30-30 or 38-55 it's far from being a great choice at 500 yards, but it should provide some good practice and entertainment for a shooter and spotter.
Just Be Nice **==
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Lever Action Big Bore Silhouette

Post by cslcAl »

Glen, Yes, I shot my 94 Win. .32 spl 1914 vintage at the Sierra Classic about 12 years ago. I didn't have a HP hunting rifle so I thought I would just have some fun with my Granddad's old rifle. The gun had been tapped for a side mount scope, so I decided to strap on a 24 Leupold. For reasons I still don't understand, it would not shoot with that scope on it. So after getting throughly torqued during sight in, I took the scope off and shot the match with the tang sight. I shot a 12 and a 14. I can't remember if I hit any rams, but in the one match I hit 4 turkeys. I also shot one of our club matches with this gun. There is just something about doing this that seems to be humorus to other shooters. In that match I shot 9, 300 meter pigs in a row, and I had the last laugh. Al
Team Sierra Member
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I think something was telling you to get that darn scope off of that fine rifle!! My model 94 has a tang sight and I also have a Marlin 38-55 cowboy. I think that a Cowboy Class, iron sights only, in high power rifle might get a few folks shooting that match. I'm going to give it a whirl. I know some folks with the fancy silhouette rifles might think I'm crazy, but I think it will be a hoot. I'll bet some of the shooters were very impressed with the pigs you hit !
Just Be Nice **==
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day
We have a shoot every Jan for open sighted lever OPERATED rifles on the big bore range . Look at this post http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/vie ... f=7&t=5183

Juddy
The Chairman has spoken!!