Half scale resettable targets

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Jeaux
A Poster
A Poster

Half scale resettable targets

Post by Jeaux »

From what I can tell on their website, Haltom City has some 1/2 scale resettable targets that look like they would be fairly uncomplicated to make. From the two pictures on their website that show the targets up close, I can get a fairly good idea on how they are made. Does anyone have any more pictures of these targets or any other 1/2 scale resettable targets around the country or world that they could share to give me other ideas. Our club has two sets of 1/5 scale and two sets of 1/10 scale airgun resettable targets that we use for monthly matches that are the Scioneaux design. I was wondering what other designs are out there to get some ideas before I decide if and what type of resettalbe targets I will make.

For those of you that have shot on half scale resettables, what is your opinion of them? I personally prefer to shoot free standing targets off of rails, but on the range we have access to for our matches there is no way we could build permanent stands of any kind (local Sheriffs department range). We used to hammer in individual stakes with a flat bar welded on top on which we set the animals prior to building our smallbore resettables. My feeling is that if I am going to build portable stands, it doesn't take that much more work to go ahead and make them resettable. The resettable targets do help to move matches along faster without the expense of having dedicated target setters.
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Half scale resettable targets

Post by nomad »

I will try to side-step the CRS syndrome this weekend and get you a series of photos of the Haltom City 1/2 scale stands. (We use them for the Cowboy matches, the Hunter Pistol matches and the 'Fun' [entry level shooter learning tool, experienced shooter practice and whatever] match each month.)
If they are properly maintained and balanced, they work well. I too would prefer to shoot free-standing targets but the resets improve the match from both the efficiency and -- FAR MORE IMPORTANT -- the safety standpoints. The one real problem is that they are a real pain to move unless you can tow them with something mechanical. The ram stands weigh several hundred pounds and, on soft ground, need at least 4 people to position. If it's really wet, they don't move at all.
In the old days -- before our resets -- I could set the range for 3 banks of everything, alone, in less than an hour without any major angst. Now, I don't even try to set up without assistance.
I'll speak with the fellow who built ours and see if he'd mind my passing his email to you so you can talk directly.
E Kuney
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

I'm just curious, how do resetable targets make the match safer?
nomad
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by nomad »

Once the range is set up, the practice period runs without interruption until we paint for the match.
After the match starts, no one goes downrange until we paint again -- generally at the midpoint. (And we only need a few people painting.) Most of the time, there is no need to worry about people on the line while shooters are traversing the range, no one is down there.
If there's a range alibi situation due to target problems, all you have to do is reset and shoot. (And, frankly, we have far fewer range alibis to begin with.)
In short, resettables keep everyone closer under the RO's control and limit confusion. In my experience, if you can keep more people behind the line more of the time and keep confusion to a minimum, the RO's job is much easier...and (if you have good, attentive -- and, if necessary, aggressive -- ROs) that radically reduces the probability of safety problems.
E Kuney
Jeaux
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jeaux »

Thanks Mr. Kuney, We have been shooting resettalbe 1/5 scale animals for the past year and it really helps move our matches along well. I had not thought about the additional safety aspect of using the resettables, but it really does reduce the number of people down range once a match has started, no doubt about that.

I have emailed back and forth today with a couple of the guys from the HC club, but I would sure like some more photos of the 1/2 scale targets if you wouldn't mind taking a few and emailing them. I will send you a PM with my email address.

Thanks.

Joe D.