Most unique gun that has done well in smallbore cowboy?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Most unique gun that has done well in smallbore cowboy?

Post by Jason »

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking for a new gun to use in the smallbore cowboy matches. The Marlin 57 that I'm using now has gotten me into master class and finished up my grand slam, and I'm starting to get a little bored with it. I'm looking for something that I'm virtually guaranteed to not see in anyone else's hands at a match. That instantly rules out the standard winchester 9422, Marlin 39, Marlin 57, Henry (few models), and the other usual fare. I want something that's absolutely legal to use in NRA-sanctioned matches, so that includes tube-fed lever, auto, and pump action rifles in 22lr. I also don't want it to totally suck for the game, although I realize that anything other than something like a Marlin 39 design is going to be a bit of a handicap. It will need to shoot a five-shot group around 2.5 inches at 100 meters with whatever ammo it likes best, and I'm willing to try a lot of different kinds if the gun is unique enough. It will also need to have some way of attaching a receiver or tang sight, which anything with a rimfire rail will also qualify for.

So... any wild ideas? :) :ymalien:
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Re: Most unique gun that has done well in smallbore cowboy?

Post by silhouette13 »

i have a buddy shooting a 1890 winchester pump, does real well with it. hard to find though, the rossi pump is a knock off , there is a marbles tang knock off for it as well made by taurus.

cool and different.

dave
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Jason, I have been shooting a '61 Winchester pump for my entire Cowboy career. You will not find a better made or more accurate cowboy legal gun of todays manufacture. They tend to be a bit pricey for really nice ones,but I have seen a few that needed a little work go for reasonable prices on GB. Hey, so what if they are a little rough around the edges; just so they shoot. Al
Team Sierra Member
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've added them to my list. Those pumps sure look like they'd be hard to hold steady while shooting. I like those long octagon barrels, though.
w30wcf
B Poster
B Poster

Post by w30wcf »

Jason,
The most unique .22 lever action rifle ever made was the WInchester 1873. Back in the 1980's reproductions were made in .22 LR. Unfortunately I had no interest at the time. If you could find a used one that would surely be unique! They probably weighed a minimum of 8#.

w30wcf
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Keep the ideas coming. I have heard of or seen most the guns mentioned here so far at matches. How about some ideas for autoloaders. I might pick up some old "junker" autoloaders if I can find some with decently long barrels with a front sight ramp that I can shove a Lyman 17A into and clamp a Williams dovetail receiver sight on. :)
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Jason

I bought a Remington 241 auto loader at an estate sale very cheap. I think the gun was made in the early 40's. It has a 24 inch barrel, a good trigger and shoots about 1 1/2 inches at 50 yards. The bottom ejection might not be compatible with some styles. but the gun is fun to shoot. Peep sights are at a premium for this style gun and the tubular magazine is in the stock. The Remington model 12 pumps with Octagon barrels also look very cool. Both types are common on gunbroker.

I don't seem to be able to get past a score of 29 with any of my rifles, but I know that it's me and not the guns. Just buying a rusty pawn shop gun, or one that has been in the family for years, and taking it to the competition is just plain fun. You could probably shoot master with just about any .22 , so why not get something cheap , unusual and fun? Style points should be considered at any competition!!!
Just Be Nice **==
Finprof
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Finprof »

High Standard used to make a .22 pump that was reputed to be more accurate than most of the bolt action rifles of the day. The forearm also went all the way back and overlapped the receiver, so a standard offhand hold is easy. The gun is also relatively hefty - at least equal to a Marlin 39 or 57 in weight. I think it was a model 33. You don't see many anywhere and never did even when they were made. It never caught on except with really dedicated squirrel hunters.

Personally, I always wanted a Rossi clone of the Winchester 61. I can't explain why.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I saw a Browning pump on Gunbroker that looked very cool. I also stopped by a local store and they had 3 or 4 of the model 61 pumps. One was in great condition and the sticker shock wasn't too bad. It didn't feel very comfortable to hold, though. I haven't seen or heard of this High Standard pump anywhere else. I also had someone mentioned one of the old tube-fed Weatherby Mark XXII rifles, but haven't been able to actually put my hands on one of those to see how it would feel either. Supposedly, someone else made them in either Japan or Italy for Weatherby and they're hit-or-miss for accuracy, with some being very accurate and some just a rattle-trap autoloader in a shiny stock.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I've decided that I'm just going to drop this whole idea. As the saying goes, "only accurate rifles are interesting rifles." In this case, instead of bouncing through several toys for the matches, I'm going to just get an older Marlin 39a that I can put a Marbles tang sight on (without hiding the serial number) and Lyman globe front sight. Then I'll do a trigger job and actually practice with it. I don't mind losing if it's me that's not shooting well. I really get annoyed by inaccurate or unreliable equipment, though. :)
Jeaux
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jeaux »

I just finished putting together an older 39A just like you referenced. It is a 1946 model and looks great with the Marbles and the Lyman on it. Now I have to wait till February for a cowboy match.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Which Lyman sight did you put on there? Was it one of the 17A sights or the 20? If 17A, which height?
Jeaux
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Jeaux »

It is the 17A. The lowest one they offer. I am just able to get zero'd at 35 yards. Not sure if the next higher model would be better. I just ordered some of the Shaver inserts for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.