NO MORE FIBER OPTIC FRONT SIGHTS FOR COWBOY

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
toad
B Poster
B Poster

Re: NO MORE FIBER OPTIC FRONT SIGHTS FOR COWBOY

Post by toad »

hi all
nice mary that,s is what is needed lean on them some. it would stuff me up as with out the fiber optic front sight its all a blur looks like i wont
make 2012 after all shame as i love it there this year.

regards toad
the toad has croaked http://www.tedsmachinetool.com/
TXCharlie
A Poster
A Poster

Post by TXCharlie »

Our official statement regarding fiber optics in Cowboy Lever Action Silhouette:

At the meeting of the 2010 NRA Silhouette Committee the subject of fiber optic front sights for use in cowboy lever-action rifles was addressed. The fiber optic front sight made by a manufacturer will be allowed. The fiber optic material should be no longer than the sight itself. This is a clarification of Rifle Silhouette Rule 3.1.3.1. This subject will be brought before the 2011 NRA Silhouette Committee for review.

Feel free to post this online,

Jonathan Leighton, Program Coordinator
Silhouette Department, NRA Competition Division
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

I sent this yesterday.

Mary we are on the same page, as I suspect is everyone on this board.

Letter to the NRA

Gregg,

I am an active NRA member but currently traveling in CA and imagine my surprise when I received and urgent e-mail stating that the NRA was going to outlaw fiber optic sites at the next Nationals. Let me first say this, did anyone look at how many people use fiber optic sites? Just about everyone does. Why, because most of the shooters are over 50 and cannot see anymore, I am one of these people.

Let me first say, I think the CLA nationals is the best competition out there. With that said, all my rifles have fiber optic front sight so I can see the contrast between the animal and the site. Without fiber optic sites, my shooting will no longer be about skill, but, my lack of vision to see where the sight is on the target.

This topic never came up at the nationals so why is it such a concern now?

Please advise status of the nationals, so I can make my plans accordingly. Without fibre optic sites, I will not be attending the nationals as this would place me in an unfair position versus those who can see well.

Please feel free to call and discuss this with me.

regards,

Tim Finley
tim
the ex pom
A Poster
A Poster

Post by the ex pom »

Hi Folks, it looks like you all have a few issues with whats going on over there. From Jon's response it looks like you will be able to use fibre optic sights that are The use of the home made versions in my opinion was always dubious according to your rules, that being said they were permitted so that was the end of the argument. To quote the NRA officials response when I asked for clarification about Olympic sights "we are keeping the rules simple and sights need to be in the spirit of the match" Some of the fibre optic home made sights I saw being used at both the 2010 and the 2009 nationals are far from what I would call "in the spirit of the match".
There would appear to be an out clause if Jon is correct but I would of thought that the issue of loosing the sight in the target would be easily cured by changing the colour of the targets that are shot, eg shoot white targets.
I will be monitoring this situation carefully as I'm sure alot of the people over here in Australia will. Please keep this forum up to date with any new developments.

Dave McCarthy
348 winchester,teach them chickens a lesson, when a girls gun will not do. Man up with a steel buttplate!!!!!
toad
B Poster
B Poster

Post by toad »

hi all
dave as you know i use fiber optic front sight,s they are made from standard 1/16 gold bead drilled out and 30 thou fiber optic rod inserted
now they are only the length of the sight but they are home made.
i don,t see that i have any advantage over anyone using a shop bought one .they talk about the spirit of the event well i don,t recall any old cowboys riding
around with a spray can of black in there saddle bags.i do recall that they used lead projectile,s . not like most of the shooters .
if they are going to make changes then open buckhorn sighs only, lead only and no guns that are not at least 100 years old now that is in the spirit.

regards toad
the toad has croaked http://www.tedsmachinetool.com/
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day All
As I see it based on the information that the shooters from Australia have told me, that some competitors use long lengths of fibre optic and even wrap them around the barrel. I think the statement about the fibre being no longer than the sight is probably not a unrealistic requirement. I think that (and be aware I missed the Nationals so this is speculation) seeing long lenghts of optic on guns may have prompted a ban. Some times we all, myself included will stretch things until they break and if we had a more moderate approach the rules would be left alone.
Saying all that I use fibre optic sights myself and as I intend to one day finally get over there I'd hate to see them banned.
I'll be following this as it will impact on shooters who may travel to the USofA to compete. It will certainly be a topic for our next Sub committee meeting here in Australia. Which (for our American friends) is run by mostly a active shooter appointed from each state/territory and chaired by a shooter elected by those shooters. This way any rule changes are hopefully always in the best interests of the sport.
Juddy
The Chairman has spoken!!
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

See that Dave
The little amphibian buys a 101 year old rifle and wants to get us all kicked out!!! Good on you TOAD.
Juddy
The Chairman has spoken!!
daisy
A Poster
A Poster

Post by daisy »

Ramslammer wrote:See that Dave
The little amphibian buys a 101 year old rifle and wants to get us all kicked out!!! Good on you TOAD.
Juddy
TOAD you Dawg x_x
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Juddy,
Yes there were some fiber optic sights in which long stretches of fiber were wrapped around the barrel at the nationals. In looking at the intent of stopping this practice, it would be reasonable to say that there is a "x.x" inch limit on the length of the fiber, rather than ban them all together. That being said, I for one do not believe that the fiber wrapped around the barrel gave that person any advantage, as there is a limit to how much 'light gathering' will help in the conditions, and at some point that amount is not going to be seen by the human eye.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Mary you are getting way to technical, but bigger has always been better.
ppkny
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Paul, I could answer that but it would have to be BTB...Considering I spend a large part of my time calibrating an instrument for precise measurement of sunlight, I could get much more technical also. But in re-reading Jonahtans official remark from the NRA I would say that it is not an issue with regard to using a fiber optic sight as long as the fiber is not longer than the sight itself. I have no problem with that modification to the rule.
It does not say that you can not add a fiber optic sight to a firearm, it states that the fiber optic material can not be longer than the sight itself.
Anyone Interoperate this differently? Is this truly going to be a problem?

Mary

ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Mary, No disrecpect just making a funny. How about these sights, Factory made, fiber is not any longer than the sight.
ppkny
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

ppkny wrote:Mary, No disrecpect just making a funny. How about these sights, Factory made, fiber is not any longer than the sight.......
ppkny
Illegal..... As usual... you're the poster child for ILLEGAL modifications =))
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

259...well at least I know there is one East of the Mississippi that will try to push the intent of the rules. The one west of the Mississippi doesn't post here but he is aware of the discussion and has posted via proxy.

Innocent Mary

ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

bob259 They fit this rule:

At the meeting of the 2010 NRA Silhouette Committee the subject of fiber optic front sights for use in cowboy lever-action rifles was addressed. The fiber optic front sight made by a manufacturer will be allowed. The fiber optic material should be no longer than the sight itself. This is a clarification of Rifle Silhouette Rule 3.1.3.1. This subject will be brought before the 2011 NRA Silhouette Committee for review.

ppkny