22 auto loader legal?

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

22 auto loader legal?

Post by glen ring »

I bought a 22 auto loader from an estate sale , a model 241. This 22 loads from the butt stock and has a tubular magazine in the stock. Is this legal for smallbore cowboy rifle? The only thing I could find in the rules was a tubular magazine. This one is in the stock, like the browning 22.
Just Be Nice **==
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: 22 auto loader legal?

Post by Jason »

For smallbore cowboy, anything with a tubular magazine that's not a bolt action is legal, I think. I've thought about getting my 9-year-old daughter a little Marlin autoloader to shoot the match with, as none of the normal production lever guns are small enough for her and I don't really want to hack a nice lever gun up.
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I thought the same thing Jason. I wanted to get my wife a browning auto loader, but was unsure about the rules. This is a copy of the browning and has a tubular magazine in the stock. I guess I'll e-mail the silhouette department and get an opinion.
Just Be Nice **==
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Section 3.1.3(c) of the NRA silhouette rifle rulebook:

Code: Select all

(c) Smallbore Cowboy Rifle Silhouette -
A. Any lever action, pump, or semi-auto rimfire rifle with a tubular magazine. .22 long rifle ammunition only.
Hyper velocity ammunition prohibited.
There ya go. It's legal, as long as you keep the sights legal, too. :)
edgehit
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by edgehit »

Hell ya an auto loader is legal. the only thing you have to watch on the Browning take-down auto is the bottom eject spews the hot gas and case out the bottom.
- Joe