Approved or Registered State Match

This is what we do.

Will you attend the Southern National Air and Smallbore Rifle Silhouette Championship if they are just "NRA APPROVED" and NOT "NRA REGISTERED" matches?

YES
94%
NO
6%

Total votes: 32

slowstdy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by slowstdy »

David
I will be there even if it snows...LOL. I could care less about the NRA at this point.
2 x 40 each day is my prefrance. I have to agree with dawg, with more Craw fish, there is only so much BS you can take in one day.
I am planing to attend all 3 events next year if I can.
Cheers Limey

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
chardonnay
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chardonnay »

Well I have discussed it with my traveling partner aka the varmit (my son) who will be shooting his first southern nationals next year. He seems to prefer 2-40 shot matches per day. I would be happy either way. It doesn't matter if it is registered or approved 40 or 60 shot matches barring any major circumstances beyond my control I will be there. I have always been impressed by the way the matches have been run and have no doubt that they will always be well run, fun and fair matches. I have looked forward to Winnie since the first year I attended. The food, the company, and yes the BS is unsurpassed. I am still something of a newbie to this, I have to make Winnsboro...I still have so much to left to learn. :D
genphideaux
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by genphideaux »

slowstdy,

As far as BS goes, you have given as much as you have taken :oops:

LMFAO
We have but one life to live, live it like you stole it, live it right up to the hilt.

God Bless the USA

Dawg
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

60 shots may not save as much time as we think. Wouldn't you have to use two target racks for each shooter, halving the number of shooters on the line, increasing the number of relays? I like 2x40 because I never do as well on the first match as I'd like so I have a whole second match to look forward to that day and when I don't so well on the second one I have two matches to look forward to on Sunday and when I tank the third one....ummm....I guess I'll be perfectly happy either way after all.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Approved or registered

Post by Innocent »

I'm game for either two 40's or a 60. Advantages and disadvantages to both. Duckgumbo, you've already got my answer on the NRA, even before this posting. It's time the NRA started supporting the source of money, both at the discipline directors level and all the way up the chain.

I'm prepaid for 2007 so I'll be there anyway the club decides to run it, just to watch the BS!!!

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
slowstdy
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by slowstdy »

genphideaux said
As far as BS goes, you have given as much as you have taken

And I've taken quite a lot... LMAO
Cheers Limey

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance
duckgumbo
Master Poster
Master Poster
Location: Winnsboro, Louisiana - Home of the Southern Nationals, the Greatest Show on Dirt!

Post by duckgumbo »

Thanks for the response guys. It looks like we will probably go with two 40-shot matches for smallbore as in the past and 60-shot per rifle in the air rifle. We do hope for more input from other shooters, but the approved match seems to be the way to go from the response that we have had. I do not want any person to make a decision regarding registered or approved championship for their club.

I am glad that the Limey is planning on making the Trifecta next year. We may have to come up with a Trifecta BS champion! I will get with Chuck and Frank and we should be able to come up with an appropriate LARGE award!

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone, but we really do need to hear any negative comments so that we can be able to please everyone if possible. We have always listened to criticism and responded in a positive manner. We did not invent this wheel, we actually stole every good idea from great matches that Jerry and I attended. Like Texas, Florida, Oklahoma and many others.

I would definitely like to hear from the shooters in the Northwest and the West coast (Left Coast for Dadian!) to get a better feel as to how most competitors feel.
Sgt. O'Ducky
Ftard Troop
TXCharlie
A Poster
A Poster

Post by TXCharlie »

David and All...

jneihouse... the beer teat problem (too much time to drink) is a personal decision.

My reasoning is simple for the 60 rounds:
1. 14+ hours shooting 80 shots is too long.
2. Championship is singular, what purpose is served shooting 2 matches for one championship.
3. Instead of setting up on the line 8 times per shooter, the shooter would setup and perform 4 times per day.

Shooting 60 rounds will alter the day with only one trophy presentation.

The shooter would shoot the first 10 targets have a reset then shoot 5, while the next shooter would shoot 5 have a rest then shoot 10... etc.

If 80 shots is the big factor, consider shooting 20 shots per animal. This would eliminate 2 of the 3 trophies, the time necessary for presentations, and substantial time reduction along with the safety improvement in the movement to the line for each shooter. As a side note
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Beer teat....I like that better than beer tent......Sorry, just couldn't pass it up. Boggles the mind.......Beer teat........wow......

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

Duckgumbo, you may want to consider either having a 60, 80 or two 40 round matches but if you want to save time the last day of competition the thing to do is have the Standard or Hunter rifle the first day and give the awards for that match and the next day do the other one. What usually happens other wise is that the second and last day of the competition you end up with double shoot offs for the individual and aggregate matches and same thing for awards which makes it for a very long day.

This is how they have been running the California State Championships the last few years. We have the Standard rifle match the first day two 40 round matches, shoot offs and awards for that match and then the following day we shoot Hunting rifle. For the guys that do not shoot Hunting rifle that works well because they only shoot one day and do not have to stay an extra day or wait for half a day doing nothing.

Last weekend we had the HP state Championships and because we did not have a large number of shooters and only two relays we were done with the two 40 round matches, shoot offs and awards before 2:00 PM for those people like me that had to drive 4 or 5 hours to get there was a relief from other times when I got home around midnight.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

DUCKGUMBO WRITES: After reading some of these posts here and elsewhere in the forum, we will have a match to make all the past Southern Nationals look like a popcorn fart! We are seriously considering hosting this match as an NRA "APPROVED" match and NOT a NRA "REGISTERED" state championship match. What will this mean? We will not have to pay ANY NRA fees and will be able to lower (THAT'S RIGHT ---- LOWER) the entry fees to $140 for two guns.

In your last post you ask for any negative feedback. This is just such a inquiry and please don't take it personnel. Most of the post discussed the 40 vs 60 match and not the Reg vs App aspect you suggest. Is the Reg vs App strictly based on entry fee cost? Did a lot of people complain about the cost of the tourament? Someone also implied that the State Champioship was only won or of interest to few shooters. What about that next champion lurking in the field? They are now denied that chance. Any comments?
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Register or Approved

Post by Innocent »

The 2003 rule book I have with me on the road has a page the describes the differences between Registered or approved.
Noticable differences: Registered pays NRA fee per competitor, competitor must be NRA member, scores can be used in National Over the Course records, tournament directors may not compete in National Championships, competition sponsor is required to furnish each competitor with Official Bulletin.
There is no restrictions for 'approved' as described on any of the above mentioned items.

In other words the primary difference that the comppetitor might notice is that a competitor may not set or break a national record.

Personally I have not seen a lot of records fall at Winnie, usually too windy, or hot for some of the competitors.

I hope this answers some of the questions for those that do not understand the differences.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
duckgumbo
Master Poster
Master Poster
Location: Winnsboro, Louisiana - Home of the Southern Nationals, the Greatest Show on Dirt!

Post by duckgumbo »

Thanks ppkny for the post regarding the true cruxt of the matter - approved or registered match. We will not make a decision regarding a 40 or 60 shot match until after we make a decision on either an approved or registered match.

We do host one gun on one day and the other on the second day to help speed up awards, etc. Aftger a vote of the competitors last year, it was decided to only hold shoot-off spots for FIRST PLACE ONLY in the daily matches and use reverse animal count for the other places in the daily matches; however, we WILL hold shoot-off spots for ALL other places in each class for the aggegrate awards as this is where the serious awards and prizes are.

After talking to Don Strickland last night, we will have a definitive answer regarding a NRA Air Rifle National Silhouette Championship soon after November 1. Jerry and I will meet with the entire membership of Winnsboro Gun Club and then make a decision as to run an approved or registered match. We aill NOT cut out the Louisiana Shooting Association membership requirement as it is only $10/year per out-of-state competitor and $20/year per in-state competitor. Don was confused regarding which match would be approved or registered and let me set the record straight. We are considering holding an "APPROVED" AND NOT A "RERGISTERED" LOUISIANA STATE CHAMPIONSHIP IN BOTH AIR AND SMALLBORE RIFLE. These matches will be the SOUTHERN NATIONALS and will have awards and prizes in both matches. The air rifle will be a 60-shot format and the smallbore will be (based on input at this time) the same as in the past.

We do not need to hear anymore regarding the number of shots to be fired as our primary concern now is whether or not to register these matches. We have not and will not consider registering either of these matches as a NRA Regional match.

Charlie, I respect your feelings as well as others regarding the 60-shot format and we will run a poll after we make the first important decision. You will not need to be there as long as in the past as we are eliminating shoot-offs for four matches! Just sit back, relax and enjoy the refreshments!

Ed and Gene,

There has been some interest in having a rematch in the slingshot shoot-off from last year. It seems that Gene wanted to file a formal protest due to the fact that Kessey had shot squirrels in his back yard with a slingshot! Therefore, we are going to allow Gene the opportunity to bring his own slingshot that he has practiced with. Ed, you are allowed the same priviledge.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Sgt. O'Ducky
Ftard Troop
CB
B Poster
B Poster

registered vs approved

Post by CB »

One in every crowd, Barber signing in.

I can't help but think perhaps we're "cutting our noses off to spite our face". I can agree with some of the reasonings but like it or not the NRA is ALL we have! Unless someone has the clout to start and manage our own sanctioning body, then our next issue of importance must be to address whatever seems to be behind the rift that's causing the divide in the competitive shooters towards the NRA. Not addressing that issue will eventually be the demise of the National Championships, High Power will be the first to go.
Looking at the survey results puts me to mind of a presidential election, about the same percentages participating as well.
As far as "Would I attend if'n it was or wasn't approved?" Seriously,, I could care less... I'm looking for a game, a chance to test myself against others of "known ability".(got that in there Mclemore!!!). Less shots for the weary??? More time to socialize? Get real,,I drive several hundred miles to a match, I want to SHOOT!!! The Southern hospitality is just a bonus. For what it's worth, that's why all National and World Championships take place over the course of days, sometimes weeks, no matter what the sport. Anyone can get "hot" for one match, keeping the heat on for multiple matchs on the other hand takes a little something extra.
Break em in the center,
Carroll
jebsr
B Poster
B Poster

Southern Nationals

Post by jebsr »

Thanks to all you shooters for replying. I would like to emphasize that Winnsboro Gun Club host the Southern Nationals for one reason, and that is to give shooters a match that is responsive to their desires. We have always tried to listen to the competitors and do whatever satsifies the majority of shooters. I don't shoot anymore, but I certainly enjoy the sport and the people who do participate.

All of our members take great pride in the shoot and look forward each year to being a part of what we feel is the greatest match in the sport. We are not trying to cut out any organization, we are simply trying to accomodate the shooters who have supported us all of these years and to encourage new shooters and show them what the sport can be like.

Thanks for coming and for helping make this match the greatest ever.

jebsr
Gun control is hitting what you shoot at