86 gr Rem load question

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
thskeer
A Poster
A Poster

86 gr Rem load question

Post by thskeer »

I have a like-new Marlin 1894CL, Thanks AlF, and the only projectiles I could get are the 86 gr Rem SP's. I'm on back order for the Speer 75gr at about 4 places.

At a match last weekend I was told that 9.6 grains of H4227 was a good laod for this rifle by 2 shooters who have the same set up. The hodgdon's on-line load list shows 8.6 as max load.

I know that the SAAMI specs are WAY low for this caliber due to the number of very old guns still in use that have steel from an era where it may have been of questionable strength, and my modern gun should be able to take higher pressure, but thought I'd ask about this here.

Does 9.6 gr H4227 sound like a 'normal' load for a modern Marlin PC silhouette gun? If not, what do others actually use?

Tom
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: 86 gr Rem load question

Post by cslcAl »

Tom,

Check out the link below. It has a wealth of info for the 25-20. Don't get nervous if you read the posts I put on there about splitting cases. I had that problem with another gun, not the one I sold you. Al

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 881.0.html
Team Sierra Member
thskeer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by thskeer »

Al, I'm not worried about that gun! Last week I shot 2 40 shot matches and had a 35 and a 38, running 10 in a row on all but Turkeys. (they were 9's both times) This gun flat shoots. The problem is I only have 11 of the rounds left from the lot you sold me, and no 75's ANYWHERE!

Thanks, Tom
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

Tom,

I don't know why you coudn't work up a load for 86 gr. bullets with Lil' Gun. Lil' Gun is what is in the 75 gr. Speer load you got from me. I bet your fellow shooters are hoping you don't find any bullets. Nice shooting. I replaced that Marlin with a 24" 92 Winchester. I really need the extra sight radius to see the front sight clearly.
I was hesitant to let a gun go that shoots as good as that Marlin, but the 92 I got is a real good shooter also. I also shot two matches last week and shot 2 35's with it.
Keep looking for the Speer's, they'll show up sometime. We are in the same boat for cases. Can't find them either.

Al
Team Sierra Member
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I tried the speer bullets, and cast bullets, but the best load in my Marlin is with the 86 grain Remington slug and H322.
Just Be Nice **==
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

My new 25-20 Marlin shoots great! It likes the Remington 86 grain bullet pushed by H-322. Does anyone have a source for these bullets? Midway doesn't have them and I'm at a loss where to find them.
Just Be Nice **==
coppertop
A Poster
A Poster

Post by coppertop »

I have done some testing with my 1892 rifle 25-20 built in 1906. I could not make a cast bullet without a gas check shoot any sort of group with any load. This rifle has a fairly nice bore. I tried a 75gr. with a check cast from wheel weights with good results. Myself and a colleague are using 11gr H4198 under them. I have also used 4.5 gr. Unique with some luck, but I feel the 4198 is better. As for the 86 Jacketed Remington, I have fired several hundred over 8gr. H110. This is an accurate load, but it is not subject to experimentation. I am of the opinion that the 25-20 in a full length rifle is THE choice for Cowboy Pistol Cartridge.
Admit it, it's never the guns fault. M Sickel
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

Coppertop

I have ordered some cast gas checked slugs and I'll try your unique load. Unique is one of my favorite powders and the 25-20 is my new favorite cartridge.
Just Be Nice **==
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day All
I've found that 11grns of imr4198 with a 86grn cast (RCBS Cowboy mold) works well in my marlin. Also tried the 65grngc Lyman with 10.5 of 4227 under it, shot good and we killed a few wallabies with it. All loads were lit up with a Federal small pistol primer, makes a diffference believe me!!
Juddy
The Chairman has spoken!!
glen ring
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by glen ring »

I have tried several different loads in my 25-20 and so far the 86 grain Remington bullet over a minimum load of H-322 , listed on the Hodgon web site, is the most accurate in my 1894cl.
Just Be Nice **==