Help with correct neck size bushing size needed

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Seamus O'Grady
B Poster
B Poster

Help with correct neck size bushing size needed

Post by Seamus O'Grady »

I'm well on my way with ordering components (brass not in stock but back ordered, maybe I'll see it by summer) and I have hit a confusing decision about neck size bushings for the 6.5x47. I will be using Lapua brass (duh) and Sierra Match Kings moly coated in 107 and 142.

The guy at Sinclair says .289 or .288 other people say .286. I will be using the Redding Type S FL die set. Any suggestions appreciated and advice how to best sort this out.

Rifle is in the build stage, Remington action. Pac-Nor barrel and Wooster stock.
Citius, Altius, Fortius
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Help with correct neck size bushing size needed

Post by Bob259 »

I got and use .288. I also got one size to either side of it was well.
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
pigdog72
B Poster
B Poster

Post by pigdog72 »

i use .288 to works for me with lapua brass.
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

If you really want the correct one for a spacific case lot...take your calipers measure your neck thickness..multiply times two and add your bullet diameter in your case..264 then subtract .002-.003 to arrive at the correct bushing size. That will give you the correct size for the lot of brass or make you are working with. if you have loaded rounds just measure then subtract the .002-.003 measure the thickness of the brass for un-loaded cases. hope this helps you.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

Page 49 in the Sinclair 2010-A Catalog, Determining Redding Bushing Size: The proper bushing size can be easily determined by measuring the outside neck diameter of your loaded cartridges with a precision micrometer or a dial caliper. Then, simply subtract .001 from the cartridge that had the smallest average neck diameter. This diameter bushing will generally size case necks just enough to create the proper press fit for the bullet.

If you are using a Type "S" style die and not turning the outside of your case necks, we suggest using a bushing .002" smaller than your smallest average neck diameter, and using the expander ball included with your Type "S" die. This size bushing will still give you minimal sizing (maximizing the life of your brass) and the expander ball will insure that each cartridge has the same bullet grip.

Redding has found that when you have cases with neck wall thicknesses on the thin side of the SAAMI tolerance, your fired case will measure considerably larger (.oo6" to .010" larger) than your loaded rounds. In these circumstances, Redding's tests have shown that a bushing .001" larger (than the loaded round) may give you the desired bullet grip.
U.S. Army-Donating blood since 1775.
bwilliams
B Poster
B Poster

Post by bwilliams »

i am using a .290 bushing in my redding s dies in my 6.5 x08 (260) using Lapua brass necked up from 243 and also neck turning. works well for me.
Brett
metalhead
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by metalhead »

If I may, all this talk about the appropriate size of your neck die bushings needs to be directly related to your gunsmith and specifically what is the neck diameter of the reamer he is using to fabricate your project.

When I was actively doing custom rifle work, for like 15 years, I always purchased my custom made reamers with as small a neck diameter as possible. So let's say for example, were going to make a .260 or even now a 6.5 x 47.

The outside diameter of the bullet is .264 in 6.5 mm. The nominal bore diameter of your barrel should be .2565 Quite frankly, none of them are. Even from the best of barrel makers. How do I know ? Years of doing it has told me so.

Now, lets assume that the nominal wall thickness on a 6.5mm case neck is like .0155, perhaps .016 on tthe cheap stuff.

So, most of the custom reamers I have ever purchased to build a custom rifle for target shooting, the neck dia. on the reamer is always .2910 in 6.5mm calibre. That leaves just about .0015 maybe .0013 clearance on each side of the neck. Just enough to create a tight fit for even the most picky shooters you will ever see at a National Shilhouette Tournament winning these events with the rifles I have made. Don't believe me? That's OK. Check it out for yourself.

This neck diameter requires no neck turning, a real plus when you are trying to assemble several hundred rounds at one time.

So, neck bushing dies are ok, just make sure you axe you gun maker what the neck diameter on his reamer is before you go spend a bunch of your hard earned coin on a neck bushing die that is not matched to the reamer that chambered up your new fancy custom rifle.

Just my 2 cents worth

M.