Re: 107 mk in a 260

Post by yankee »

all done with a piloted reamer
cslcAl
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by cslcAl »

One other observation I have made is that my gunsmith has built several rifles using Douglas barrels; and none of them would shoot 107's. All the Kreiger barrels he has chambered for me shoot 107's very well. The only difference I can se in these barrels is the Douglas has 5 gooves and the Kreigers have 4. Maybe some of the engineering types can comment here, this difference must be a factor. Al
Team Sierra Member
Evelio Mc Donald
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Evelio Mc Donald »

OK guys
I did all the Smith work on Malinois rifle, and I used a PTG match reamer with a floating pilot, the same one I used on over 20 rifles, I do have a roughing reamer which I use up till the last .060" before I use the finish reamer. I also did the inleting and pillar bedding. I have been in touch with him, and hopefully we will get it to settle down.
My biggest regret, is that I don't own a 260 or any components to reload for that caliber, I normally fire test every rifle that I build for function and accuracy, and if it don't shoot less than 1/2 a minute, it will not leave the shop.
I never heard from a customer having problems with any of the 260 that I build in the past.
I have several more to build in that caliber, so I will buy some dies, and brass so I can test them before I let them go.
I will continue working with Ahmed, until we get the problem resolve.
Evelio.
Evelio
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

I have not had any issues with any of the work evelio has done nor any of my friends that have had evelio do work for them ....thats why I am not suspect on the rifle...However I am suspect on the scope. I am going to swap out the scope on the rifle with the one on my 22 and re-test. If it persist I will then check out diffrent bullet powder primer case options and put more rounds on the barrel...and see if she seats in. I am also going to try a diffrent base, rings if needed...some scopes do not seem to hold well when the adjustment are not in the center of the scopes range as this ring base set up is so I am suspect about that item too. which is too bad since I really like the talley ring base all in one set. If all fails then I will have evelio check the barrel for me some time the manufacturers let one get away from them...it can happen.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

malinois wrote:I have not had any issues with any of the work evelio has done nor any of my friends that have had evelio do work for them ....thats why I am not suspect on the rifle...However I am suspect on the scope. I am going to swap out the scope on the rifle with the one on my 22 and re-test. If it persist I will then check out diffrent bullet powder primer case options and put more rounds on the barrel...and see if she seats in. I am also going to try a diffrent base, rings if needed...some scopes do not seem to hold well when the adjustment are not in the center of the scopes range as this ring base set up is so I am suspect about that item too. which is too bad since I really like the talley ring base all in one set. If all fails then I will have evelio check the barrel for me some time the manufacturers let one get away from them...it can happen.
Save yourself the time Ahmed. I'll give you $50 for it, so pack her up and ship her to me :D
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Bob, you have an enlarged heart. How could you possibly be so good? I wouldn't give him much over $45 for a rifle like that.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Jerry G wrote:Bob, you have an enlarged heart. How could you possibly be so good? I wouldn't give him much over $45 for a rifle like that.

Well Jerry... I know he has a little one on the way and could use the extra cash ;) Besides he knows it would be going to a good home too.

RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

I have not shot the 107s in several years now and so it is possible that they have changed...but I doubt it. They have been a very "fussy" bullet in my experience and that of several people I know. I think the 123 is a much better bullet in that it is not so fussy and will tolerate a wider range of loads without much effort.

If you are ever in doubt about whether a barrel and/or chamber is any good, put some 120 gr SMKs over 36 to 36.5 grains of either H4895 or Varget. If that does not shoot well there is something wrong with the rifle. The 120s are not my favorite bullet because of the wind drift at the turkey line...but I am shooting up a bunch of them I have left right now.
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

cslcAl wrote: The only difference I can see in these barrels is the Douglas has 5 gooves and the Kreigers have 4. Maybe some of the engineering types can comment here, this difference must be a factor. Al
I think Lilja makes a 3 grove barrel, I wonder how it would compare in this experiment :-\

Evelio, My humble apologys. I should have read the origional posters post better. My bad. :oops: My reply was to yankee who made a comment about break in. I have never layed my hands on one of your guns but the photos look like works of art. The personal pride is obvious in the workmanship.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by shakes »

AD9, up here in the great wet north alot of use the Pac-Nor 3 groove barrels with great success. We've found the the Pac-Nor's hold there true really well. What we do is order a unturned blank and have one of our guys true the barrel and then conture to what ever we want. Really really accurate barrel's, now its just up to me to hold her steady =))
"The bench proves the rifle, standing proves the man" Harry Pope. 6.5's for LIFE
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

The smith I've been using is partial to Harts. They seem to shoot well for me, haven't shot one enough to shoot it out yet but summer is coming...I hope.
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Just got back from the range and looks like I have found the bugaboo.....I remenbered that a few years back I had the same issue and as it turns out the issue was in the ring base set up. it seems that when scope reticles are push to the near maximum of thier range they have a hard time maintaining zero. I had 5 shots left so I cranked on a full foot right and presto finally a group. The rifle would not print any shot touching or any where near before but these last 5 shots went into a single ragged hole...so I will change the mounts and return with more ammo to confirm...I think we got this one finally. :ymapplause:
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

If not the offer still stands :D

RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

malinois wrote:Just got back from the range and looks like I have found the bugaboo.....I remenbered that a few years back I had the same issue and as it turns out the issue was in the ring base set up. it seems that when scope reticles are push to the near maximum of thier range they have a hard time maintaining zero. I had 5 shots left so I cranked on a full foot right and presto finally a group. The rifle would not print any shot touching or any where near before but these last 5 shots went into a single ragged hole...so I will change the mounts and return with more ammo to confirm...I think we got this one finally. :ymapplause:
That is a very definite possibility. The scopes do not like being anywhere near the end of their elevation adjustment range either. Some of them do not even move the reticle for most of the last revolution of (up) elevation if you look at it through a bore sighter.

Good Luck!
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Yes...I sure think so......Oh Bob what are you gonna do with another 6.5mm