Mako legal?

This is what we do.
Chief
Unclassified Poster

Mako legal?

Post by Chief »

I tried the search but it didn't come up with anything.

Can anyone tell me if the Savage Mark II Mako is legal for smallbore silhouette?

I bought one a while back and would like to give silhouette a try. The Mako may not be as accurate as an Anschutz, but with decent ammo the bullets go where I tell them to (off a rest anyways).

Thanks
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

The thumbhole restricts it to standard rifle class, but as long as total weight is under the 10lb, 2 oz limit - you are good to go!

I might add....you WILL get asked about this rifle! I personally like the shark!

Chicken
Image Chicken George
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I haven't seen one in a while, but doesn't the cheekpiece on those come up really high in the back? I'm not sure it would meet standard class rules, but no way to know without one in front of me.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Jason wrote:I haven't seen one in a while, but doesn't the cheekpiece on those come up really high in the back? I'm not sure it would meet standard class rules, but no way to know without one in front of me.
Jason,

Go here to the 4th picture down, you can see that the centerline (guessing) is aprox the same as the height at the rear
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/r4270.htm

The bigger problem may be on the 2nd picture down... the forearm extends 2"+ below centerline of bore.... Don't think that would pass...

Like Jason mentioned would have to have one in front of me to measure, BUT with a saw and sand paper I imagine it could be legal for NRA SBSR silhouette...
Image Chicken George
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

It would be a mighty hard-hearted match director who would turn away a new guy on a rifle technicality. I suggest you shoot some matches for the experience and if anybody gripes, which is most unlikely before you start winning, tell them you're shooting "exhibition."
Chief
Unclassified Poster

Post by Chief »

I think the cheak piece is OK, it looks to be about at the center of the bore, but it is close.
Also, I measured the depth of the forearm and it is almost exactly 2 1/4". That could go either way.

There's a shoot in my area a week from this Sunday. I think I'll check it out. I have a Mark II-G that my wife shoots. Can two people use the same rifle?

Thanks for the responses
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

Yes, we frequestly share equipment...

A few sugestions that you might find helpfull...

* Let the match Dir know any squading request (such as 2 people sharing a rifle)

* Show up to the match a MIN of 1 hour early, this will give you a lau of the land and be a little "old hat" by the first "fire" command.

* Have a great time and know before you get there that's it's the challange that brings us back!
Image Chicken George