New Uninformed Member

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Sandman
Unclassified Poster

New Uninformed Member

Post by Sandman »

Hallo guys, how can I get more indepth info on topicks such as calibers, targets(specifications, like waight) , Scopes and the genaral practices of the sport and so on. I am sort off starting Silouett Shooting in my home town, to get gun owners more involved in shooting and get them to shoot their guns more often. The guys here have typical hunting rifles and calebers, that I want to introduce to Shooting Sillouettes in an informal atmosfhere. I have made some targets and I've been experimenting, With my first attemt at the Rams at 500yards I downed two , 2 turkys, 4 pigs and 5 chikens (40 shots). I use a Mauser .308 and 155gr SMKs @ around 2900fps, my one friend uses a Lee Enfield 303 Brit. one a 30-06 + 6mm Musgrave(100gr @ 2700fps) , one a 7x57 and 25-06, are these calibers good for shooting ?
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

All of those calibers are good for the sport, some better than others of course. The 7x57 used to be considered one of the classic silhouette calibers until the 7-08 came along and achieved the same performance with a little less powder in a short action. The idea is to get sufficient bullet momentum to take the ram with the lowest recoil possible. That ordinarily means lighter bullets for the three "close" animals and the heaviest available for the ram.
The 100 grain 6mm is going to leave a lot of rams standing.
Lots of interest in the sport in your country. The smallbore World Championships have been held there.
Good luck and good shooting.
yankee
A Poster
A Poster

Post by yankee »

If you search around on the internet for IMSSU "International Metallic Silhouette Shooters Union" it should have some links to the group shooting in South Africa. They should be able to give you some of the assistance you need and a bit closer to home. In the past they have had some very good shooters.
morerams
B Poster
B Poster

South Africa

Post by morerams »

In fact the World Championships are to be held in Bloemfontein SA from the 21rst of September this year, there is a link to SAMSSA from the IMSSU member countries page.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

new HP

Post by Jerry G »

the 6mm with a 100 gr bullet is good for the 3 close animals but you have to go the the 107 to take the rams, that requires a 1 in 7 twist berrel. It is still a little on the light side. I think the 6.5 Sweed or the 260 is the best choice. It has enough power to take them but doesn't pound your sholder to death while trying.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Do I know how to spell, or what?
wrm
Unclassified Poster

Re: South Africa

Post by wrm »

morerams wrote:In fact the World Championships are to be held in Bloemfontein SA from the 21rst of September this year, there is a link to SAMSSA from the IMSSU member countries page.
OK, it's a year later, and I just found this site :-)

Yes, the world champs were held, much fun was had, I spent most of my time playing RO on the big bore handgun side.

Did manage a silver medal for Sport Handgun :-) I shot some other events with borrowed guns but hey, I'm not quite good enough to compete internationally :-) Actually, who am I fooling, I struggle to get anywhere even in Provincials :-)

We had a 65 kilometer per hour crosswind on the range the one day. The big bore *pigs* were clamped!

It was a helluvalot of fun :-)

Sandman : if you're still around, lemme know in which part of the country you are?

Look at http://www.samssa.org.za and http://www.amakozi.co.za/wpmssa/index.htm if you're in my part of the world.

W
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Anyone give silhouette a try with .500 Nitro Express rounds? :lol: Seems like Africa should have a different set of animals to use, say and Elephant @ a mile :shock:

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!