New to HP silhouette & few questions

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
leomort
B Poster
B Poster

New to HP silhouette & few questions

Post by leomort »

Hello Everyone!

Just found this website via google. I'm a huntter who's interesting in shooting high power rifle, mainly as a way to improve my offhand shooting. Before getting into too much of an investment of $$$, I just want to use what I have right now and want some feedback on whether what I have will be adequate? First let me state that I am a southpaw so that limits some of my options in rifles. I have a left-handed Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 308Win with Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40mm scope with ballistic plex. It has reticles set-up out to 500yards w/ 150 gr loads. So I'm hoping that this will suffice for the time being? Feedback on this?

Second, what spotting scope(s), both brand and power/magnifcation range do you guys recommend? I was hoping to stay in the $300-$400 range if possible but open to suggestions as well. I've found in optics that you "get what you paid for" is a pretty fair assessment...lol!

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,

Leo

PS Im from the Pittsburgh, PA area so will be looking for matches near there.
bwilliams
B Poster
B Poster

Re: New to HP silhouette & few questions

Post by bwilliams »

Hey Leo, 308 works good for high power silhouette. If you have never shot silhouette before also look at small bore silhouette, (shot with .22rf). great way of honing skills and alot less $$$$$$$. High Power is shot in 2 X 40 shot matches and can get alittle expensive. However I am also new to High power and LOVE IT. Your equipment will do fine for starting and later on may want to change a few things. Most experienced silhouette shooters have a rifle scope that can be zeroed for each givin distance, again your scope will work OK. Most shooters hand load and use as light a load as needed to take down targets and still produce good accuacy and light recoil. As for spotting scopes, I recently picked up a Nikon Field scope 25x75 with 80 mm ed glass. A little more than $300 as was $1100 but love it. Very bright and clear.
Hope this helps,
Brett
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

there are a few companys that make lefty rifles. Check you local wal-mart for a remington 700 SPS. they run about $450 or less. you will toss everything but the action eventually but its a good gun to hot rod. :D
Its a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.
NRA Endowment Member
leomort
B Poster
B Poster

Post by leomort »

Hello Bret,

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, I figure what I had might not be ideal. I'm thinking the 308win might be a bit high on the recoil factor when shooting those many rounds for silhouette match. I knew that if i want to pursue HP that I would need to get into reloading which I wanted to do anyways but this give me a good excuse :)

I thought I might be a little low $$$ on my spotting scope. Unfortunately, a $1,000 is way out of my budget. From doing internet search, I thought I seen someone recommend a burris landmark20-60x80mm spotting scope as a decent intoductory spotter to getting started in silhouette. I realize that its a fairly cheap optics and may sacrifice some quality at the higher end of magnification but is it worthwhile to look at?

Yes, I seen the smallbore silhouette as well. Interested in that too. That's probably where I start just to keep my initial costs low.

Leo
leomort
B Poster
B Poster

Post by leomort »

Hello dang9,

Yes, I am aware that Remington make lefthand actions, not sure if they do it in the SPS line up, as almost every manufacturer only buts out southpaw versions in their upper end models. Also, most of the time, the southpaw actions are almost exclusively in long-action. I prefer short-action as the recoil on those long action calibers aren't conducive to good shooting. Heck, I'm kinda concerned about the cumulative recoil from the 308win for HP silhouette shooting. I'd think something along the lines of eithe 260 or 7mm-08 would be the two ideal caliber/cartridges for this competition. If I get into HP silhouette, who knows, I might just splurge one day and build custom rifle.... ;)

Regards,

Leo
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

lermort, you may want to look into the 6.5 X 47 also. I have seen a lefty CZ in 7-08 recently at a show, so look around there are some custom stuff that shows up once in a while. Smallbore is a less expensive way to get the basic down some, but be forwarned..they are all addicitive.

Innocent Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

If you have any thoughts of using this rifle as the foundation for a custom build, go with a Remington 700. If you're building one up, just start with something from Stiller or one of the other custom builders for an action that is true before a gunsmith chucks it into a lathe. I just got a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 Swede, but if and when I'm ready for something better it will semi-retire to occasional hunting - I might have it tuned, if Evelio thought there were anything worth doing, but that's all.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

This is not a sport for the cheep thats for sure. good equipment costs big bucks. I'm lucky in that I'm single and can spend what I want. starting out in SB is cheeper than HP but gets expensive too when you start shopping for some of the annies. $1500 for a RF rifle!?!?! Even my girl friend gets mad when she hears that one and then screams when I buy hamburger and PBJ's for two months. CZ has a few lefty SB guns out there and the prices are in the $450 range. I don't own one but have heard good things about them. Remington most deffinatly makes a lefty SPS, get one in .243 to start. You will lose a few rams but its a good starter gun and ammo is everywhere.
NRA Endowment Member
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

Leo, you are sooo lucky to live in Pa. I didn't even notice that on your post. Check the shooting sports web site you will find there are alot of clubs in Pa. I spent my summer vacation there and could have shot every day of the week if I wanted to. Ridgeway hosts the nationals every other year too. :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Member
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

One of the finest values in rimfire is the Weatherby XXII - an Anschutz 64 action action in a Weatherby stock. Trigger needs help, but then a CZ 452 improves with a Timney trigger, so everything has manufacturing compromises.

Allegedy Remington has several grades of 700 receiver, so more expensive rifles get better actions. If true, spending a little more to get a better trigger and action is easily justified provided they have a starter caliber and stock you like. I went with a Tikka to get a 6.5mm without jumping into another big project just now.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

BB, whats the going price on the weatherby XXII
NRA Endowment Member
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Another Dang 9 wrote:BB, whats the going price on the weatherby XXII
It looks like they want $800 or so on GunBroker and they show up in the Marketplace sometimes. Gun Broker lists them at $999 and on Stock Watch, but I'd talk to one of the local dealers and see what they can do first. Like everything else, they've gone up.
leomort
B Poster
B Poster

Post by leomort »

Dang9,

I have a left handed CZ 452 American .22lr that is very accurate. From the bench I was able to get a 4" group at 200yards with Federal Gold Medal which was seen by a witness. I have since but a McMillan stock on it, change the scope to Leupie 3-9x33mm EFR scopre. This scope probably isn't ideal for silhouette matches either. I hate twisting turrent to change my zeroes and prefer ballistic-plexes for such things. I always seem to forget where Im at when twistig turrets.....grrr! lol!

I'm not sure what kind of matches are available in the Pittsburgh area? IMSHA only had one club that was close to Pittsburgh.

Regards,

Leo
Another Dang 9
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Another Dang 9 »

I drive 8 -10 hours each way, once a month just to shoot HP in Pa. so whats your definition of close! Check the only real silhouette site NRA's Shooting Sports USA. It will list all the registered and approved matches.
NRA Endowment Member
coppertop
A Poster
A Poster

Post by coppertop »

Welcome! Your 308 will work just fine for now, but let me recommend a scope of higher magnification. You may decide the 308 is not what you want to continue to use, but you can always use the scope on your next gun. I like a 24x and they ere very common in silhouette. I like Leupolds and Weavers. The latter is a bit less expensive, yet still excellent quality. Look on Ebay for a spotting scope, 3-400 will get you something decent. 80mm objective for its light gathering capability is a must. You will rarely use any magnification over 30x on a silhouette spotting scope, anything more narrows the field of view too much. Steer clear of brands you havn't heard shooters talk about as they are probably junk. You are correct in the assumption "you get what you pay for". In the long run you can spend extra for a good one, and it will retain resale value. A cheap one is virtually worthless as soon as it is opened. Every silhouette rifle, scope spotting scope, tripod, and most of my other stuff was purchased used. When I bought, I went first class, yet I saved alot buying used equipment. I have yet to be dissappointed. ALL silhouette shooters that I have seen take excellent care of their equipment, so buy our used stuff if it is reasonable and in your budget. Back to the 308. Try a lighter bullet of around 125-150 for the 3 short animals. The light bullet may take the ram down, but I would go with a 150 or more. Moderate velocity+not too heavy bullet=shoulder that is not black and blue. In closing, If you get the high-power bug you better start putting back money now. As the hi power forum heading says "more money but worth it".

Happy Shooting

Mason
Admit it, it's never the guns fault. M Sickel