rifle recommendation wanted

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: rifle recommendation wanted

Post by lone ringer »

RBriscoe wrote:I have been doing some looking around for 25/20 rifles and, apparently, only the (22" round barrel) Marlin 1894 CL and the original Win 92s are available in the 25/20. The importer of the repro 92 says there is not sufficient interest to warrant.... The Uberti 1873 rifles (Cimarron and Taylor) offer the 32/20, but not the 25/20. Too bad.
Hello Rick, relining to other calibers is permitted in cowboy, if you find one in 32-20 you can convert it to 25-20 if you want one bad enough.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

lone ringer wrote:
RBriscoe wrote:I have been doing some looking around for 25/20 rifles and, apparently, only the (22" round barrel) Marlin 1894 CL and the original Win 92s are available in the 25/20. The importer of the repro 92 says there is not sufficient interest to warrant.... The Uberti 1873 rifles (Cimarron and Taylor) offer the 32/20, but not the 25/20. Too bad.
Hello Rick, relining to other calibers is permitted in cowboy, if you find one in 32-20 you can convert it to 25-20 if you want one bad enough.
Thanks, Tony.

That is good to know, but I would be a little hesitant to take a brand new Cimarron 32/20 and do that. On the other hand, you never know when the spirit will move you.

Have a good turkey day,

Rick
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

RBriscoe wrote:
lone ringer wrote:
Thanks, Tony.

That is good to know, but I would be a little hesitant to take a brand new Cimarron 32/20 and do that. On the other hand, you never know when the spirit will move you.

Have a good turkey day,

Rick
I did not mean for you to buy a new rifle and reline it right away without shooting it, the 32-20 is a wonderful cartridge I understand.
The reason I mentioned the liners is because I found a very old Marlin in 32-20 with a 26" octagon barrel and a bad bore that I am contemplating relining to 25-20 if the old barrel is not accurate enough. I have not shot it enough to know and I have not even bought dies and brass for it but have lots of bullets and brass for the 25-20 and that way I would not have to load for two different cartridges.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

Tony,

That sounds like a plan.

Take a rifle that has a questionable bore and make it into a 25/20!

Cheers!
GTS
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by GTS »

Rick,

Don't forget about the original Marlin 1894. There are usually several on Gunbroker, and if you take your time and shop around, you can usually find one for a decent price. Mine is a 1901 manf. takedown with a 28" barrel. It shoots lights out with several different loads. The best is probably the 75 gr Speer and H4227.