How long did it take?

This is what we do.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

How long did it take?

Post by kevinpagano »

Some of you Master shooters out there, how long did it take you to get to master. Were any of you the young shooting naturals you see from time to time or were you all dry firing and shooting 5 -6 days a week to obtain the skills. I know that practice is important and I dry fire about 5 days a week and shoot live ammo about 2-3 days a month. I am just wondering if ill be 70 before i get there. I can be an impatient man but as long as i see progress like I have seen so far I will be happy.

Kevin
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

That information is classified. I can tell you this: Scores are up and down, for everybody, always, up and down. The idea is to raise the average and then, in the match, just shoot your average.
We, or at least some of us, tend to shoot a new PR and it feels like: "OK, THAT'S what I'm capable of when I do things right." Then, when we slip down to the old average, or below, in the next match we feel as if we screwed up. Try to hang on to that first feeling and don't indulge in the second. As ever higher scores feel "normal" we bring up the average. Slowly but surely. It comes up quicker if we don't beat ourselves up on the "bad" days.
TXCharlie
A Poster
A Poster

Post by TXCharlie »

Having shot this game and others for 26 years, my observation has been the individuals that quickly advance to the upper classifications will as quickly find something else to do. If someone does not have to work hard to achieve a goal, then it appears that the goal was not important enough to continue. A couple of shooters I have known were able to achieve a Masters card in 6 months, but all of these quit shooting competitively and moved into some other sport that challenged them. I was able to work from the B class to holding some Master cards in a couple of years, but rarely am I able to shoot into class these days. My goals are to shoot to a level that I deem acceptable on that given day. My motivation for competitive shooting is to enjoy shooting and the many individuals that I call friends. Enjoy the sport, try hard to improve your skills, learn from others, have a good time at the shooting matches and you will improve to your capabilities and scores.
C-Ya,
Charlie Mc
CB
B Poster
B Poster

How long?

Post by CB »

I'll go out on a limb a bit and crack open the door (sorry Alston). First off I can do this because I, like you, am not there yet either! "master" scores consistently enough to make class have eluded me. I got hooked on these games about 6 years ago, had done bit of pistol shooting prior but not in competition. It was returning from Raton '04 that I decided I wanted more and that it was possible. Based on years in other pursuits I'd venture to say a person in good health putting in quality training, with a good mental attitude, and good coachs around him should be able to make "master" level of performance in 3-6years? (Your mileage may vary,I was a mite older before I started) IF he's dedicated, and diciplined enough to not let stuff get in his way. "How bad do you want it?" I am here referring to scoring level in a class called "master class". If you're referring to a "maestro" or "master of an art" it is an entirely different thing, requiring a lifetime of pursuit to realize it was not possible in the first place.
Almost without exception, every top athelete in every sport imaginable got there because they got a great deal of fun and enjoyment out of that particular game. To quote one of the finest 9-ball players of all time, Luther "Wimpy" Lassitor: "learning to play is not fun,,,having learned!!!! is FUN!! and my alltime favorite from him as to the "secret" to pool, especially applicable to this sport,,,,,"Don't Miss! you'll win every time".
Lest I seem to contradict myself,, "some assembly is required"
See yall in PA,
Carroll
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

I remember it took me 3 years trapshooting to move back to the 27 yard line. 1st year was a learning curve and years 2 and 3 were perfecting years. When I reached that place it took just as much dedication and practice to remain there.

Kevin
CB
B Poster
B Poster

Post by CB »

When I reached that place it took just as much dedication and practice to remain there.

Kevin

Now why did you have to go and throw that in there? :lol:
Carroll
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

well I should know better I suppose. I wish there was more participation here in colorado. I keep inviting people out and no one seems to show. I guess the so called shooters out there really just like to think they are Mel Gibson or Chavez the sniper in the "Clear and Present Danger movie". Why are so many gun people not shooters. The lack of dedication must be abundant out there. Everyone is too busy sitting in front of a video game instead of on a range.