Kimber Vamint Classic or other?

This is what we do.
Shandy

Kimber Vamint Classic or other?

Post by Shandy »

Hi guys,

Just wondering how people rate on stock on the classic varmint for offhand shooting? It's a beautiful looking rifle and really appeals to me so I was curious as to how it shouldered for silhoutte shooting? I don't mind the look of the SVT either, which I'm also interested in, but at this point I'm maybe more interested in the classic varmint.

I know a lot of people shoot the 1712FWT, and that's pretty much the recommended gun to go for, and with good reason, we have a few in the club that I have shot. Nice rifles, but I was just wondering how the Kimbers stack up in the ergonimics department?

I know I have read untold stories of the problems with the later model Kimbers, but it seems there are enough reports out there of nice, accurate, functional rifles that I think you'd have to be pretty unlucky to get a bad one. And surely by now they would be on top of any quality control issues etc as their reputation has been majorly damaged. The unhappy stories ring loud and clear and will continue to reverberate for many years regardless of whether the problems have been solved. Guess it'd be a punt you had to take.

I'd have to look closer into details to see if it would qualify for Hunter class (weighs ~6.9lbs unscoped), but that's not my major concern as long as it went under for heavy class.

So what are peoples opinions on this rifle as far as fit for offhand shooting and how much different would the stock be in ergonomics to a CZ American? I have a CZ and basically the stock drives me nuts. I have to sit the toe of the stock into my shoulder to get the rifle high enough to get a cheek weld. It's less than ideal. I'd like a rifle with a bit more drop in the stock.

Anyway, I was just thinking it might be nice to get something different on the line apart from the CZ's and 1712FWT's.

Keen to hear your thoughts.

Thanks, Shandy
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

it appears to have a straight line classic stock with no cheek piece or roll. perhaps what is looked for for bench or prone shooting but not particularly good for off-hand. if you really like the rifle you should buy it. but you should buy it knowing that you are, to some extent, handicapping yourself. all about goals. if your goal is to own a nice rifle that makes you tingle then you should, if your goal is to shoot the best silhouette scores you possibly can... you might want to reconsider.
dave
stsbuyer
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by stsbuyer »

dave imas wrote:it appears to have a straight line classic stock with no cheek piece or roll. perhaps what is looked for for bench or prone shooting but not particularly good for off-hand. if you really like the rifle you should buy it. but you should buy it knowing that you are, to some extent, handicapping yourself. all about goals. if your goal is to own a nice rifle that makes you tingle then you should, if your goal is to shoot the best silhouette scores you possibly can... you might want to reconsider.
dave
If you want a Kimber look at the HS it is designed better for a silhouette rifle than the classic. If you get the classic the stock design as Dave said is far from ideal for off hand shooting. And yes I think your right that the Kimber classics stock looks a lot like what is on the CZ American. The choice is up to you, but you need to get to a match and see what people are using and I know that if it is like our club everyone will let you try there equipment. You will save your self a lot of time and money if you do this and then buy what best suits you.
Later, Paul
Shandy

Post by Shandy »

Thanks guys, I suspected the stock was more bag/prone friendly rather than offhand, but I thought I would ask. I'm not really in the position to test the rifles out for fit as there are next to no Kimbers here (would have to be bought interstate).

I'm actually already shooting a fair bit of silhouette in both air and rim and have done for 12mths or more, and as stated already own a CZ american for my rimfire rifle. It shoots great but the stock isn't ideal for me when shooting offhand. I had considered restocking it into a 54MSR stock as a cheep fix, but in the not too distant future I'll be looking at a new rifle. I do far more target stuff than hunting so I don't mind buying a nice rifle next because I know it's not going to be knocked around.

I had thought about the HS but I liked the look of the varmint over the HS, but I can certainly see that it would be a bit illogical to choose the varmint over the HS when the specific purpose of the rifle is for silhoutte. I can see the HS has a very high pronounced cheek piece which is what your after. People at my range have 1712FWT. 14?? Annies, 54MS and MSR's and a lot of CZ. Just throwing the idea up there to get something different on the line.

Anyway, appreciate the feed back.
Thanks, Shandy