Weatherby & Leupold scope problem?

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Whiskeyralph
Unclassified Poster

Weatherby & Leupold scope problem?

Post by Whiskeyralph »

Just took my new Mark XXII out for a test run and is it a tack driver!! The problem I ran in to was that I almost don't have enough "up" clicks in my Leupold 6.5x20 to get out to 100 meters, plus I can't get the scope far enough away from my eye to be comfortable. I am using Leupold medium rings? I know an offset type setup would solve one problem but how do I get more height out of my scope. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Whiskeyralph
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Burris

Post by Jetmugg »

Burris signature zee rings with the offset inserts. You can get them in several heights, and with the inserts, you can keep your scope in the center of its range. Please don't "shim" a high dollar scope.

SteveM
Whiskeyralph
Unclassified Poster

Post by Whiskeyralph »

Jetmugg,

I understand the Burris rings with offset inserts, but what can one do about getting the scope a little farther away from my eye. Using the grooves in the weatherby, I have the rings all the way forward and with my long neck it's still too close? Have any suggestions for bases for a weatherby that I could use with the offset burris rings to solve this problem?

Thanks,
Whiskyralph
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Weatherby & Leupold scope problem?

Post by BlauBear »

Whiskeyralph wrote:Just took my new Mark XXII out for a test run and is it a tack driver!! The problem I ran in to was that I almost don't have enough "up" clicks in my Leupold 6.5x20 to get out to 100 meters, plus I can't get the scope far enough away from my eye to be comfortable. I am using Leupold medium rings? I know an offset type setup would solve one problem but how do I get more height out of my scope. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Whiskeyralph
Let's see - two problems, right?
  1. Insufficient elevation.
  2. Eye relief
Without knowing you it's hard to make recommendations, but first please check your length of pull (LOP). This could change the problems in some fundamental, unpredictable ways. For instance, my ideal LOP is 14.5" and the distance between the first joint of my relaxed index finger and the inside of my elbow is 15.5". Your mileage will vary.

Drop compensated rings are always good, and I agree with Jetmugg about shimming unless you plan to lap the rings thoroughly before tightening the scope. That's a very nice Leupold and it would be a shame to bend it.
Last edited by BlauBear on Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

im not sure about bases or things like that, but you could try one of those slip-on recoil pads from limbsaver or comparable company, those will move you LOP about and inch depending on the model you get, so in theory thatll move the whole rifle forward 1", which moves the scope 1" away from you also,

+1 Burris signature zee rings...
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

just a thought but i have found that a highr ring brings my face off the stock a bit and off also means(atleast for me )back not a lot but a smidge may mak all the difference,

i use burris xtra high rings and tall 11mm to weaver adapters, with the XXII and weatherby high comb it may be wort a try

cheers
dave
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot
Hoyt
Truball
Easton
silhouette13
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by silhouette13 »

i em grat at spelling :D
Sako Finnfire /weaver v16 tk lee 3/8 dot