Your Remington 700

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
chickenchoker
A Poster
A Poster

Your Remington 700

Post by chickenchoker »

I was shooting with one of the Remington reps this week and he asked me what the silhouette shooters would like for an out of the box rifle and what price you would like to pay. Let's hear what you have to say.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Chamber the current CDL, SPS stainless in .260 Rem. Offer the CDL in .260 with an all stainless barreled action. Stick with 24" barrels on all. Tell them to pay more attention to barrel quality. Keep the prices in line with the current models. These would be good choices for an out of box hunter gun.
chickenchoker
A Poster
A Poster

Post by chickenchoker »

Twist rate,comb height, drop at toe, outside barrel dimensions, trigger, wood, synthetic ????
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Unfortunately, Remington would have a hard time convincing me their action was true or their bore good. Using a Shilen barrel, as they're doing on the 547, is a good start but I don't know about the action. After that they need a raised comb, a stable stock, make weight and price it $1,200 or less. It doesn't have to be pretty, just solid and straight.

If they want to fix their reputation, fine, build some and get 'em out there.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Hmmmm.

Post by Jetmugg »

Hmm, I'm kind of in the market for a turn-key HP Silo rifle. Here's my wish list...

A synthetic stock modeled after the Robertson/Pharr design, chambered in 260 Rem. A plain brown finish would be fine with me, nothing fancy, but I would prefer something other than black plastic.

I think a 24" bbl is about right, with a profile which will allow it to make weight with one of the popular scopes mounted (Weaver 24X or Leupold ) in hunter class. We don't need any super lightweight stuff. Forget about the sling swivel studs also, they just get in the way.

I prefer blued, but SS is also popular, so why not offer both?

How about making it a silhouette special, offered as a single shot action. I believe this would make it legal for hunter class.

Price - why not aim for $700?

SteveM.
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

OK...lets introduce this new rifle from Remington. ...............The Remington Model 700 MS (metallic silhouette)

Stainless 700 short action, magazine fed.

25" stainless unfluted magnum contour barrel.

Supplied with the new X-Mark trigger.

Grey or black H-S Precision Hunter stock.

Weight approx: 7.5 lbs.

Available only in .260 Remington.....8 twist , 7-08 Remington.....9 twist, .308 Winchester 10 or 12 twist.

Keep it a regular production item, not from the custom shop. My experiance with all the 700's I have ever owned is that they have been very accurate with no tuning mods to the action. Just develop a handload they like. This un needed tuning will keep the costs down. From the box it should have no trouble making weight with the popular optics and mounts we all use and can be used in both classes. The one gun approach to compete in silhouette. Keep the price under $850. Like Bear said: "Build them and they will come." I will be first in line to place my order.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Nice approach, Bob! Kitty likes the phrase"Purpose Built" - Everything you need, nothing you don't. If it will hold MOA, it's good enough. They may even want to keep it a single shot! Do nothing that adds a nickel unless it's needed, definitely don't bother with engraving the receiver or fluting the barrel. The H&S Precision or Bell & Carlson stock is actually a good thought.

Remington .260 would be their lead round, but they may want to consider the new Lapua 6.5x47 and just for variety a 7-.08. But to keep things simple, start with the Remington .260. If they price it under $1,000, I'll try to buy one just to show support.

Kolby Rasmussen, a gifted 15 year old shooter from my home club, is actually shooting a very similar rifle - an all factory parts, accurized, Remington .260, SS CDL in a B&C bolt on stock. I'm not sure who tuned that puppy, (the rifle - Kitty is Kolby's coach) but it really shoots so I know the concept can work.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

BlauBear wrote:Nice approach, Bob! Kitty likes the phrase"Purpose Built" - Everything you need, nothing you don't. If it will hold MOA, it's good enough. They may even want to keep it a single shot! Do nothing that adds a nickel unless it's needed, definitely don't bother with engraving the receiver or fluting the barrel. The H&S Precision or Bell & Carlson stock is actually a good thought..............
:shock: :shock: :shock: What.... No Bling :cry:
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Bob259
Bling is for those who can't shoot.
Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Innocent wrote:Bob259
Bling is for those who can't shoot.
Innocent
Nice..... that hurt.... Luv you :D

BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Bob259 wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: What.... No Bling :cry:
I appreciate artistic "bling" but admire function. If your goal is to build a fine performing rifle on a budget, stay with blue steel, powder coat instead of blue or polish, and monotone paint. Spend the money on machining and quality materials.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Bob259,
Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder....no go find some honey bees and you'll see the beauty in simple wood.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Innocent wrote:Bob259,
Remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder....no go find some honey bees and you'll see the beauty in simple wood.

Innocent
And nothing beats the feel of a nice wood stock or looks of a 'fancy wood' one with some nice checkering either... Just wish they fit as well as the others.

Im a sucker for good looking wood stock too :-) Just like puppys, I want to take all of them home too :D

BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Innocent
Sounds like something I said in the Club House about Savage rifles that were accurate but ugly. It surprises me that nobody has built a rifle around the Savage custom action. It looks like a pretty good buy, since it includes a trigger, if it shoots well.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

BlauBear wrote:

Innocent
Sounds like something I said in the Club House about Savage rifles that were accurate but ugly. It surprises me that nobody has built a rifle around the Savage custom action. It looks like a pretty good buy, since it includes a trigger, if it shoots well.
Look in the dictionary under Butt Ugly and you will see those two pictures... Rosey and A Savage rifle...