New Hunter Gun

This is what we do.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

New Hunter Gun

Post by dave imas »

I am the proud owner of a brand new $160 Marlin tube fed semi-auto. i've slapped an old weaver t-6 i paid $150 for with some extremely inexpensive rings. it weighs in at a grand total of 6lbs 12oz. and has a clean and crisp trigger break right at 7lbs. i'll let you know how things go. i'm hoping at the end of this little experiment we can tell all the whiners out there to stop complaining about the expensive equipment and to go learn how to shoot.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Ahhhh......The new Retro Class..........The way this sport goes "follow the leader" Dave shoots a good score with his Model 60 and there will be a run on Wally Worlds everywhere.....and pawn shops......
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I like the idea.. right up until the 7lb trigger thing. I don't even have a cheapo shotgun trigger that heavy. :)
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Oh this sounds fun. I have an old sears and roebuck semi auto 22 that has trouble feeding the first round. And if the trigger is as low as 7# I will kiss your uncles monkey.

Kevin
KY Ratshooter
B Poster
B Poster

Post by KY Ratshooter »

I got a head start! I've got my old Western Auto single shot putting rounds into less than 3/4" at 50 yards. I was going to inlet one of those fancy six shot round holders, like the biathilon shooters use, into the stock for rapid reloads except I realized the thing cost $30 and that was more than I had in the gun.

If autos are the requirement I have an old Stevens that wobbles inside the stock! Would that meet the specs?

Black powder shooters have a group of guns they refer too as "PoorBoys" and Schmetizls (Barn guns). Is this our version?
Shoot low boys, they're riding ponies!
Uncle Irv

Post by Uncle Irv »

Tube fed???
If it holds more than 10 rounds it's a (gasp!!!)
"Assault Weapon" in the great state of New Jersey.
The same is true of my little Mossberg Model 152
semi auto with a fold down forestock - AKA
'The Gov. Christy T. Whittman Memorial assault rifle`.
(It now bears a little block of plastic affixed to the barrel
with scotch tape. - When asked what it is, my reply is
"Why thats the bayonette lug of course.")

"Stop repeat offenders. - Don't re-elect them!"

Irv
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

So...

to make this experiment applicable i'm going all out newbie. no shooting vest... just showed up as if i'd never been. didn't test ammo prior to the match. shot $1.95/box stuff. got it on chickens with three off-hand shots and used my kit bag as a rest for the rest of the targets. my settings were kind of approximate. 7lb trigger pull with a few edges on the trigger gave me the beginnings of a blister on my trigger finger. lots of jams using standard velocity ammunition which wouldn't cycle the bolt reliably. will be going to Federal Lightening for the next match. still managed a 25/40 i think that is an AA score? so begins the march to master with off the shelf equipment...

hunter gun

Post by Guest »

If I can stumble into hunter AAA with a 10-22, you shouldn't have any trouble. I did have to use target ammo to get groups at 100 and had a lot of trouble getting the thing to cycle when it got a little dirty. Some people bitched about the thing throwing hot brass so I made a deflector from an Eley lid.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

hunter gun

Post by Jerry G »

I forgot to log in before I posted. OH well.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Dave,

Try the Federal Automatch. It's $10 for a bulk pack of 325, so that works out to about $1.53 per 50. It's made specifically to cycle autoloaders and still give decent accuracy. The only place I've seen it is Wal-mart, so if that ain't "off the shelf" enough, I don't know what would be. It's hard to get more "newbie" than bulk pack ammo from Wal-mart. :)

If you can't find it down there, I'll bring some down the next time I come to one of the Tacoma shoots. I use it for my smallbore cowboy rifle. I just throw it into old CCI boxes to make it easier to drop out five at a time.

Post by Guest »

dave imas wrote:So...

to make this experiment applicable i'm going all out newbie. no shooting vest... just showed up as if i'd never been. didn't test ammo prior to the match. shot $1.95/box stuff. got it on chickens with three off-hand shots and used my kit bag as a rest for the rest of the targets. my settings were kind of approximate. 7lb trigger pull with a few edges on the trigger gave me the beginnings of a blister on my trigger finger. lots of jams using standard velocity ammunition which wouldn't cycle the bolt reliably. will be going to Federal Lightening for the next match. still managed a 25/40 i think that is an AA score? so begins the march to master with off the shelf equipment...
26 would be a AAA... 1 more point...I for one KNOW that you can do it...

32 Master...

Cluck Cluck
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ajj »

Well, you can get some of the new Eley 10x "Automatic" and sort by weight, get a rim gauge...
Does anyone else remember when Clark Williams hit ten pigs in the Coonass Team Shoot using the bolt action version of the Rem Nylon 66, tube mag and all? When I asked him the trigger weight he said:"About 10 pounds. Wanna try it?" I took his word for it.
duckgumbo
Master Poster
Master Poster
Location: Winnsboro, Louisiana - Home of the Southern Nationals, the Greatest Show on Dirt!

Post by duckgumbo »

Dave,

Will you be bringing this new rifle to Winnsboro? I think that you should as I know that you are up to the challenge!

David
Sgt. O'Ducky
Ftard Troop