CANIBALIZE

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
shakes
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

CANIBALIZE

Post by shakes »

Ive got some ?s for you guys. I'm thinking of getting into high power, I'm going to go to a local match and borrow a gun to see if I like it or not(I know dumb question)before I start to buy more guns. If I decieded to go with a 260 I know I can take a 243 and put a new barrel on it. My big question is if I'm planning on putting Wooster stock and a new barrel, and a new trigger could I canibalize a Rem 700 youth model in 243caliber to get what I want, this may sound dumb but are the actions the same from youth models to reg size models? I've noticed that you can find youth models on sale for under $400 bucks. I know I could probably find a nice gun at the local show for the same price but its been used and i dont know how good used receivers are. Thanks for the input. Matt
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

to me its a cando conversion, a youth rem 700 and a regular 700 have the same action, well they are the same action just the youth has a shortened stock and barrel, sounds like a good idea to me

http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... 00_SPS.asp
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Bad idea Shakes.... HP is VERY addictive. LOL... I now like HP much more than SB :lol:
F Troop - Southwest Outpost

Proud Member of the Ram Slammers US Division (Two Bob)
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Let me help.....Buy a Stiller Predator action, Krieger barrel (or whatever your particular flavor might be) a Pharr stock, a CG Jackson 2 stage trigger and put them into the hands of the smith of your choice....Tally the total cost of the build and multiply by 2...this will give you the real cost of the build...Take half of the new total and go buy the wife something very nice...nice as in jewelry, not appliances......You'll have plenty of time to do this while your rifle is being built....Go ahead and give her her nice surprise and win her heart...if your timing is right the glow won't have worn off by the time your new rifle arrives.....everyone's happy....and, oh by the way...blame Bob259 for talking you into building the rifle and never mention Kitty in any of your conversations with your better half....

And another helpful hint for those of us who's better halves think we have too many guns and we don't need another, it helps to stock them all in identical stocks...call it camoflage if you will.....and it helps if you ship a rifle back and forth to your gunsmith once in a while...this will let you slip in one every great once in a while by telling her "honey it's just one that I sent out for repair" or some similar story.....but be warned, don't try this very often....wives can count and they do keep a long list of things we have done wrong in our lives and if you've been married long enough they have enough on you to argue for a week without you even opening your mouth....Hope this helps....And it's not a matter of if you like high power, its just a matter of how hard the bug will bite.

Enjoy

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Shakes...WARNING....you will become hooked right away. Turn back before it is too late. Why go through all that work tearing down and salvaging and scrounging up pieces and parts for a custom build? There is a supurb example of a custom built .260 for sale in the market place right now. For alot less than you will spend any other way...and no waiting around to start feeding your new addiction.
Sell off the youth /lady/ small person ADL stock. Set the barreled action into the Wooster stock, and the $$$ you will save can buy a 25x Leupold.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

Matt,

I've got a .260 you can borrow if you need to. Take about an hour to get 200 rounds loaded and you'll be ready to go. it is in a McMillan thumbhole stock.
smallbore std/htr - master
highpower std/htr - master
shooting rifle silhouettes since 1982
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

You're going to get all of us killed, Kitty! 8) Although you have a point, and here's the part where I pretend to know something about this...

Traditional manufacturing heat treats the action after machining because soft steel is much easier to machine, which translates into longer machine tool life and lower cost. But heat treating warps the action, so it cannot be straight and cannot really be made straight. Gunsmiths can lap and face components so they're in the correct relationship to each other, but they aren't straight.

By contrast, Custom CNC actions are typically heat treated before machining, so they're straight from the start and don't need machining. Lower production volume and more worn out tooling pretty much accounts for the higher cost.

And then there is that sweet little .260 in the Marketplace, already tuned up and ready to roll...
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

To late Kitty... The wife already has your picture on the fridge with a 'WANTED' label on it. :o

BB, Kitty and I were together for more then a whole week at Ridgway and see the world is still running. I think you need to reconsider your rule that we cannot be within 500 miles of one another. I'm thinking both of us need to be close to you to nurture your future rifle purchases. 8)

PS: I got in more trouble with Innocent then I did with Kitty :shock:

Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Bob,
What trouble did I get into?(Jack still hasn't figured it out, had he?) I didn't drink enough to forget. As for you and Kitty being together and not getting into trouble, I have my sources for information about HP and they don't monitor this site.

Innocent
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Matt,
The bit about the wife and the stories from Kitty and Bob...hell forget the women or choose one that likes guns more than you then you don't have any problems.

Innocent

Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Innocent wrote:Bob,
What trouble did I get into?(Jack still hasn't figured it out, had he?) I didn't drink enough to forget. As for you and Kitty being together and not getting into trouble, I have my sources for information about HP and they don't monitor this site.

Innocent
LOL.... we were on our best behavior, really we were :lol:

Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

we were on our best behavior
I am innocent of all charges. My best behavior...now that I'm not sure about.

Innocent Mary

Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Innocent wrote:
we were on our best behavior
I am innocent of all charges. My best behavior...now that I'm not sure about.

Innocent Mary
Mary... they count down has started, you only need 10 more posts to become a Master :-)

Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Something like ten-in-a-row?
M

Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Innocent wrote:Something like ten-in-a-row?
M
Ya, something like that... only it's easier