air rifle classes

Pumps, pre-charged, springers and everything else pneumatic.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I like to deal with Pomona Airguns, Steve the owner is a good guy and always willing ot help. As for price I saw a few PorSports on GuBroker the other day for a bit over $600 about the best price I have found for them so far. The main difference is the cocking arm in hidden under/inside the forearm of the stock whereas the TX200 had a longer cocking lever that extends all the way out under the barrel. That gives the TX my leverage to cock but I do not find the shorted cocking arm of the ProSport to be all that hard to cock. Looking on the used market is a good idea as well. Air Arms has had 2 price increases in the past year so they are going up as is everything.

As for the velocity of springers I agree its not the most important thing but unless it is down around 600 fps max I don't think it would or should be allowed in the Target class.

If you just want to give it a try and plink or get some trigger time at home the RWS Model 34 would be a good option as it is a good rifle at its price point. I heard they just came out with a newer model that has more adjustability in the trigger for fine tuning. IMO stay away from Gamos, and re-Badged Beemans as they are just not quality. Also don't believe any stated velocities the manufacturers claim on their products. You don't want to shoot a 8g pellet @1200+ fps even if you could.

Good quality airguns cost thats all there is to it. You can lurk the classifieds or post a request with what your looking for and possibly get a good deal. I put a nice mountain bike I never rode up for trade and ended up coming out great with an even trade for a Steyr LG1 SSP rifle and a Daystate .22 Harrier with custom Purpleheart wood thumbhole stock plus the original stock. With prices going up the used market is becoming more and more the place to find deals. These airguns hold their value pretty well overtime if well maintained. Just last week they had a FWB 601 SSP on Gun Broker for a mere $500 with no reserve. The only current SSP in production is the FWB 603 and I think new it runs around $2200, used ones usually sell for $900ish. At $500 I was tempted to buy it just to sell it for a profit lol.

Steyr SSP

Daystate Harrier

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

richard wrote:Pressure in pcp guns is generally between 2000 and 3000 psi. No you can't use your shop compressor.
:oops: Now there is an understatement! Like I said - rookie question! I'm not ready to jump in with Anschutz, but Air Arms looks pretty good. Small bore silhouette has already taught me that I can't afford cheap equipment...
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
deadeyeky
A Poster
A Poster

Post by deadeyeky »

went onto airhogs.com, and the only air-arms rifle they had listed was the
s200 for $510, has anybody had any experience with this scuba gun?
pyramydair same rifle was listed for $557, and the tx200 for $549, the prosport at $669.

so it seems everybody is suggesting i stay away from the beeman R11 and go with an air-arms rifle, or the rws 34?
I do my best not to think i know it all, but i do know i know half of what i think i know now, so if i mess something up, cant i get an alibi?
Ramslammer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Ramslammer »

G'Day All
Here in Australia we only have one class, any air rifle to 7kg. As we shoot 5 of our Rifle events at one championship if we had more classes we couldn't fit them in to the Nationals. I have used both springers and PCP rifles and still use the springer at club shoots. They sure teach you how to shoot better.
Juddy
toad
B Poster
B Poster

Post by toad »

well you must have forgotten :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

One Gun?

Post by Jetmugg »

Is it possible to shoot a sporter style springer in all 3 classes?
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: One Gun?

Post by Dee »

Jetmugg wrote:Is it possible to shoot a sporter style springer in all 3 classes?
I don't think the spring guns we are mentioning IE the TX200 and ProSport would be allowed due to their higher velocities. There are people that use older classic 10m spring guns but the pellet velocity is around 550 fps not 850+ like the hotter shooting Air Arms.

You can only use them in Sporter and Open as far as I am aware. A lot of people in Winnie shot Target rifles in open and I know my friend planned to use his ProSport for both Sporter and Open just because he shoots the ProSport the best out of all his rifles. I think he has over 35,000 pellets through it in about 3-4 years. Unforunetly the cocking linkage bolt gave up the ghost and sheered off during the Sporter Match in Winnie. we both were fortunete enough to get loaners to finish the match and he used a loaner PCP for the Open Match the next day.

Limey was saying something about a CO2 rifle a TAU (IIRC all the details) that would qualify for all 3 classes. Said he might get rid of it since the CO2 is hard to get shooting in colder climates.

Anyone else know any other rifles that would make all 3 classes in one rifle? I would have to review the rules a bit closer myself for the fine print.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

My Springer

Post by Jetmugg »

I've got an Anschutz LG 250 springer match rifle. I'm sure that I could shoot it in the Target class and the open class, but not as a sporter. I guess I need to re-check my rulebook. I'd like to shoot air rifle silhouette, but there arent any clubs within 100 miles of me that offer AG.

I suppose one of the older break-barrel "match" rifles might work for all three classes. I need to re-visit the sporter rules.

I also assume that PCP sporters will eventually be re-allowed as their popularity increases.

Just thinking out loud mostly, as it would make for a pretty full day trying to shoot all 3 air rifle classes.