Bernhardt Cup

This is what we do.
ajj
AA Poster
AA Poster

Bernhardt Cup

Post by ajj »

Would someone be so kind as to post a word or two about who did well, or poorly, or drank too much or something else in the category of news? Inquiring minds want to know.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

For those unaware of Conard Cup format it is 160 shots over a two day period with all shots counting toward a final agg. Each morning is shot with the Standard Rifle with each afternoon shot with the Hunter. It is a long hard time usually plagued by tricky winds and a bit of cold with some rain tossed in for good measure. The firing line is covered with a beautiful, flat, green grass carpeted range layed out before it. Lots of good scores have been shot here but, at times, the range will make you work for it. If you can't shoot a hunter rifle you can't win.

Jared Perry won with a 144/160
Dave Imas 2nd with a 143/160
Chad, Cathy, Keith Cairns and Paul Davis with 141/140
Dennis Dadian with 140/160

Jared is from Porterville, California. 26 years, semi newly married, hangs out of helicopters for a living and comes from a long line of excellent shooters. A delight to coach and even better to hang with.

Winning and second place rifle was an 1808 action made in to a hunter rifle with a Mark Pharr stock and a Shilen barrel. Built by none other than Mark himself. Sightron Scope, 6x24 shot somewhere between 16x - 18x. Ammunition was SK Match 50. Vest by Chris Winstead
Imas coached Perry, Dadian coached Imas. Winstead coached Winstead on both accounts. (that would be Chris)

Friday was sunny and warm (Chad cooked up a pot of chili), Saturday dropped in to the 30's with a gusty little breeze that typically had little value until you took an edge shot. (I heard Chicken forgot his boots and shot in his socks?) Two 37/40 tied for the first match with, I think, 6 or 7 36's right behind. 2 38/40 tied for second match with a couple 37's and 36's following close. After the first day Imas had a 75/80. I think Cathy had a 73/80, Jared, Paul, Pavel, and one other had a 72/80, Chad had a 71/80 and Dennis Dadian had a 70/80. That night the match dinner was put on with a pretty darn good meal followed up by a drawing for about 120 prizes. Ammunition, spotting scopes, rifles scopes, knives, Leuopold sun shades, rifle cases, and all sorts of treasures where available to be had by the lucky diners.

The second day was pretty good weather with, again, a deceiving little breeze that was hard to know what to do with. Typically, if you took a center break you got your animal. It was a bump and grind for all those at the top with about 6 people in a position to either win or tie when it came to the last animal. At the end of the day, Jared stood tall amongst the rest shooting 9/10 turkeys for a 37/40 and took the prize. (he had a hell of a coach) :)

The Pe Ell club, Steve Wooster, Eric Boos, Marvin Pearson, and Larry Balestra did a great job of putting the match on with excellent organization and a very nice batch of prizes for the winners and placers. Rifles, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, cases of ammunition, aluminum hard cases, etc. Gary Malmberg donated the BEAUTIFUL sculpture that was awarded to the Match Winner. I believe there were 108 or so shooters?

I won $40 in side bets and $35 playing poker so i rank it an outstanding weekend! As Jared put it on our drive to the airport, it is the camaraderie that makes this game special. No truer words ever spoken.
dave

(Steve, please fix anything I got wrong)
sdwooster

Post by sdwooster »

You did a pretty good job, Dave. I thought that the match went well. And we even got out before the sun went down. The only person you forgot was Sue Winstead. Without her help I would of been lost. She was like a machine. She even took books back to her room to help put scores in for me. I think everybody had a good time. I think we will sit down soon and discuss if their is anything we can do to improve the match. And I am willing to listen to any suggestions( I might not use them but will listen). I have a few ideas I am thinking of. I will also check for any new records as well. So I guess if you weren't their you really missed a great match. Probably the best on the west coast and with the best competition in all classes. I think next year I will have some complete body suits for our warm weather friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I won't mention any names.

Steve
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

I for one was impressed as can be. It went smoothly and the chow tents were a welcome addition this year - talk about convenient!!! You know how to make everyone feel at home and have a good time. Thanks for all your work and efforts fellas. --m
ImageImage

Post by Guest »

Another vote of big thanks here. Thanks so much to all who made it run so smoothly. You guys do an awesome job. 8)
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

sdwooster wrote:I think next year I will have some complete body suits for our warm weather friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I won't mention any names.

Steve

I wore pants the 2nd day...LOL

AND shoes!
Image Chicken George
duckgumbo
Master Poster
Master Poster
Location: Winnsboro, Louisiana - Home of the Southern Nationals, the Greatest Show on Dirt!

Bernhardt Match

Post by duckgumbo »

A great match! Kudos to Steve, Marvelous Marv and everyone for a great time. At times, I thought that we were in the South due to the great hospitality of our hosts! Nehouse and I are definitely planning on coming next year and shooting better!

As a reminder, the Southern Nationals is less than a month away! As of today, we have 167 shooters (not guns) signed up and squadded. We still have plenty of room for shooters as we can max out at 240. Jerry and I anticipate a bigger and better shoot than last year.

Dave Imas,

Can I borrow your vest, ammo and rifle as you spot for me?

Dennis D.,

We will reserve your space next to the ice cream wagon!

Thanks for a great time in PeEll. the food on Saturday night was exceptional!

David
Sgt. O'Ducky
Ftard Troop
sdwooster

Post by sdwooster »

Thanks for the Kudo's David.

I wish I spent more time talking to the people. But running a match and trying to shot is next to impossible. I had great help but it would of been nice to BS a little more. I hope to be able to make your match next year. Should be a little easier if they have the Nationals in August at Raton. It was great seeing you again.

Steve