22LR Powder Charge

22 Long Rifle ammo is finicky. Tell us all about it here.
Mike 3-4
B Poster
B Poster

22LR Powder Charge

Post by Mike 3-4 »

Hi: Can anyone tell me what the powder charge in grains might be for a 1250 velocity & 1080 velocity 22lr with a 40 grn rnl cartridge? I'm curious as to what, if any, the recoil difference in ft. lbs. would be? I shot a .296 group at 50 yds the other day with the high velocity round and didn't do near as well with the CCI std. velocity. Will I see my impact on the chickens with high velocity?
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

did you try the high velocity rounds at the turkey and ram distance?
Mike 3-4
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Mike 3-4 »

Dave: I also shot at 100yds. on paper, and that group was .625 ctc for 5 rounds. My T/C carbine just seems to like Fed.510 better than most others. Years ago when I shot a little small bore I had real good results with Fed Gold Medal Target. I never did as well with CCI "Green Tag" back then either. Sometimes I think my chamber accepts Fed. & Win. a little better because the ogive on the bullet is a tad wider? Just bought some Wolf MT & SK Match the other day but have not tried it yet. The lube on both look better to me than the FED, so maybe I'll find a good std.velocity for silhoutte.
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

There is a noticeable change in recoil between standard and high velocity ammunition, although I don't have numbers.

There are at leas three issues with high velocity ammunition:
  1. They're louder and other shooters sometimes complain.
  2. Some match directors worry the more energetic ammunition will damage chickens, so only allow standard velocity ammunition.
  3. Conventional wisdom is that sonic ammunition falls below the speed of sound somewhere around the turkey line and gets slapped around by the transonic buffeting. I have noticed that Federal 719 will convince me it's all a myth by solidly smacking several rams in a row, and then do something really weird... That couldn't possibly be me of course...
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

High velocity stuff is moved around more by the wind than standard velocity stuff, too, so there's another thing to think about.

As for the difference in recoil, well, for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. Whatever the difference is in muzzle energy between two rounds will be the same difference in recoil energy.
Mike 3-4
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Mike 3-4 »

I was just wondering if someone had taken a 22lr apart? I simply don't know if it would be safe with a rim fire cartridge? Would a kinetic bullet puller do the job if the collet is small enough? Thanx
Travelor
A Poster
A Poster

Disassembly

Post by Travelor »

Just take a pair of plyers (why are plyers called plyers when ther are in fact only one and should be plyer?)and the bullet will twist out.

Simple to do and safe if you hold the cartridge in your hand.
George

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

The tool consists of two pliers connected together. If you only had one plier you would only have half a tool. Just like if you only had one scissor you would only have half a tool. Scissors. Pliers. Shears. Tongs.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I have pulled the bullets to switch out the powder for lots of my 22mag ammo. All you need to do it is a 25acp shell holder and the Hornady collet bullet puller with the 22 cal collet. I haven't pulled any 22lr bullets, but I doubt it would be any different to do. You just want to know the difference between powder weights between a high velocity and a standard velocity 22lr round? Isn't assuming that it's the same powder a pretty big assumption?
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

As for CCI Standard, well, this is probably why you didn't like your results:

Code: Select all

CCI Standard H07N21	
grains	count
49.5	2
49.6	6
49.7	6
49.8	4
49.9	4
50.0	14
50.1	13
50.2	19
50.3	17
50.4	31
50.5	43
50.6	72
50.7	97
50.8	38
50.9	18
51.0	29
51.1	28
51.2	43
51.3	13
51.4	2
51.5	1
Total rounds	
Average	
Extreme spread	
The quality control seems to be a little lacking. I'd suggest trying to find some Eley Target Rifle or Lapua Super Club. Or perhaps some Federal Gold Medal 711b might be easier to locate. They'll probably all do much better than the CCI Standard.
dave imas
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dave imas »

rather than pull bullets and weighing charges might be easier to shoot rounds through a kronograph to measure velocities? I know Mr. Theodore has done such gaining excellent information regarding what is and isn't acceptable and what to expect from ranges of spread...
Mike 3-4
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Mike 3-4 »

Well... I took apart both Fed510 & CCI std with pliers as suggested with no problem. Both appear to have the same primer compound in color but the Fed covers the whole base and the CCI has a very visable circle in the base as if you were looking at a flash hole. Perhaps that makes it ignite more evenly? The Fed powder weighed 1.3 gr and is dark black and very consistent in flake size. The CCI weighed 1.0 gr and is grey in color and not so consistent in size and is much finer. When I tried to calculate the recoil the results are the same according to my source at O.1 foot lbs. with my 8.5lb T/C. I don't know how much was learned on my part but it sure is nice getting your input and knowledge. Thanx
_Shorty
A Poster
A Poster

Post by _Shorty »

You don't need to take apart rounds or measure powder or anything like that in order to determine the difference in recoil. Muzzle velocity tells you that. Even if stated muzzle velocity differs from practical muzzle velocity in your gun, you still can calculate the difference from the manufacturer's stated muzzle velocity and get a result that's probably good enough for the sake of discussion. All that's required is finding out the stated muzzle velocities for each, which shouldn't be hard.
Mike 3-4
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Mike 3-4 »

SHORTY: Got this recoil information from www.biggameinfo.com and needed to provide them with bullet wgt./ powder charge/ firearm wgt. Have one very similar from an old Layne Simpson artical but the website does the calculation while I'm drinking my beer. This sight also provides recoil data for black powder and various subs. Please have a look and let me know what you think. Thanx
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

Holy crap people!

Mike, if you want to shoot high velocity stuff at chickens, find what works well in your gun, and ask the match director if you can use it. Be forewarned that if you shoot at different places (BASF, Rio, Tucson) you may wind up not being able to use something you've grown accustomed to and trained around.

I really don't think 200fps difference in an 8.5 or 10 pound rifle is gonna be that noticable of a difference in your view during follow through, and if your follow through is good enough that you watch your rounds impact every shot, do yourself a favor and spend the extra coin for good match ammo, because you will be shooting Master class...........

Where in AZ do you shoot matches?
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E