New Sightron silhouette scope...

All the dope on risers, rings, scopes and optics.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

New Sightron silhouette scope...

Post by Jason »

Looks like Weaver's discontinuing their silhouette-spec T24 just in time for Sightron to bring out their silhouette scope.

http://sightron.com/index.php?action=vi ... d=15&id=33

Summary: Big Sky (better glass than old SIIs), variable 6-24x, 17.6oz, 1/4 minute clicks, bigger dot

If someone sees one in person, please report back on it. I can't see enough detail in the picture to see if the smallbore silhouette distances are marked on it like on the T24s I'm using now.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Jason, how does sightron connect there turrets? Set screws or on screw down throught the top? I am just curious as I have never seen a Sightron in person.

Kevin
BlauBear
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by BlauBear »

Eye relief as specified is actually a little longer than the Leupold FX-III 25x40 (look here) but the Sightron is also larger and heavier. Given the price (look here) the only real advantage over the Leupold is that it's variable. Weaver T-24's cost at least 1/3 less than the Leupold and the obvious difference there was good glass vs. great glass. The Sightron looks good, but it doesn't fill the T-24 gap.
"If the America people ever allow private banks to control the issuance of their currencies, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all their prosperity" - TJ
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Yeah, but I've already got two of the T24s to play with. I'm making a list of new toys I don't have yet. :)
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

kevinpagano wrote:Jason, how does sightron connect there turrets? Set screws or on screw down throught the top? I am just curious as I have never seen a Sightron in person.

Kevin
I've only had a couple SII or better Sightron target scopes, and I sold those in favor of other scopes due to the older Sightron SIIs not having the greatest glass in them. I think they used set screws in the turret caps, if I remember correctly, but they may use something else on the new Big Sky models that supposedly have better glass. One thing I can say about the Sightrons, though, is that the adjustment system is second to none. It was a little better (more precisely what each click was supposed to be) than the Weavers I'm using now and a good bit better than the Leupold 6.5-20x that I had. If they truly did put much better glass in the Big Sky series and kept the weight low like the specs on that scope say, the Sightron could take over a large part of the silhouette scope market soon, especially if they had the forethought to mark the silhouette distances on the objective bell of the scopes.

There have been a couple windy days (windy enough to blow me around) and a couple hot, mirage-filled days that I sure wished my T24 was a variable. Funds are kinda tight right now due to fixing up some stuff on the house, but if the reviews of the new scope are good, I might take the T24 off my CZ "loaner" rifle and move it to my prone rifle so I can put one of these on it and try it out.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

The thought of a 6-24 with big dot, 1/4 clicks and light weight is very tempting to try. I had Bushnell 4200 and liked the scope just not the 1/8 clicks and the weight.

I too have a 24 x Leupold now and it is frustrating to me some days but just fine others. I been looking at variables, and now have another choice to look at. Prices seem a little steep when you can get a Leupold for 625 from chicken.

Kevin
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

Is Weaver no longer going to make the T24 with a dot? I know they are down to just the 1/8" dot w/1/8" clicks but are they planning to stop production of this scope as well?

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

I don't think they're stopping production on the 1/8,1/8 model of the T24, but I'm not really a fan of that scope for silhouette without at least a reticle change.
GeoNLR
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by GeoNLR »

I didn't look at the scope at the SHOT show, so no real input there.

My price on these will be $500 for anyone intrested.

P/N SIIB62442SIL
Image Chicken George
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

This scope is intriguing me more everyday. 20 min of elevation in one revolution. variable up to 24x is very nice as well. light weight. I would love to see the glass on one.
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

kevinpagano wrote:This scope is intriguing me more everyday. 20 min of elevation in one revolution. variable up to 24x is very nice as well. light weight. I would love to see the glass on one.
I agree Kevin if it has good glass it will be a good buy. I wish Leupold would variable one say 8-25x, now that would be ideal!!!
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

I agree that would be great too. Probably the best. I would opt for that but if the sightron has the meter marks on it then this would be an optimum scope if the glass is good.

I wonder how they compare to the old 24x glass on leupold?

Kevin
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

Guess we'll have to wait till the end of March when they become available, or Chicken George does an evaluation for all of us....
Detritus
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Detritus »

I have been using the SIIB 6-24x42 D for the past year or so...
Mounted in BKL 257s the elevation makes it out to Rams just short of a full turrent revolution :D (1 to 9 on the turrent numbers)
While researching and before buying I really was wondering at the time why Sightron were not offering the same specs 1/4 clicks and larger dot, as this new Silhouette model is now... Oh well.... Need another scope soon :wink:
The Big Sky glass has impressed me... nothing quite like watching your bullets drop in on an unsuspecting silhouette :lol:
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Just spoke with Sightron, no meter markings on scope.