.308 Vs. 30-'06

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
Gringo Grizzly
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Gringo Grizzly »

SavageFan,
Let me know if the rifle you were referring to as the "14" is the one Jason has pictured in his post.

If so, this means you may already have this rifle in .308.
Already having it means you already have something to start with, and I was assuming you didn't have a rifle in a suitable cartridge.
It'd be better if it were a .260 but you can use what you have before sinking lots of $$ into a smithing project.

Once again, shoot me an email as I can respond in detail.

Thx!
GG
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

Savagefan,
Is the 14 you are referring to a Savage Model 14? I believe that is what you were saying. If so, if you are buying a new one they offer it in 7/08 as well as 308. The 7/08 is the better choice by far. Simple to load for too. The 130 to 140 grain bullet of your choice for c-p-t and a 168 or 175 Sierra MK for the rams. H4895 in the 36 to 39 grain range works well for both bullet choices too. Varget as well. As always, consult a loading manual and start at the lower end and work up.
If you need a new barrel Shilen offers them pre-threaded and chambered for $305 blued. Sharp Shooter Supply also does. www.sharpshootersupply.com. If getting a 260 go with a 1-8 twist.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

A few years back, I was hunting Coues Deer in southern Az, I was on one side a big canyon and a deer was on the other, there was no STW's, RAUMS, WSM'S, and no lazer guided projectiles on the civilian market at the time (at least I didn't have any) so I held my Win 70 in .308 to what I felt was the proper height between the bucks back and the bottom of the crosshairs touched it off. The Deer took off made it about 20 yards and fell graveyard dead. I started shooting silhouette with a .308 as did most who started at that time or before. Good bullets, great case, accurate, just a little to much recoil for 40 rds.
savagefan
B Poster
B Poster

Post by savagefan »

Sorry folks, yes I do mean a model 14 Savage and I know nothing about the sport. I am a member of our local silhouettte/target range but have never competed mostly because I can't hold a rifle steady enough. I'm hoping by entering matches I can learn from the experts. Gringo, e-mail on its way. Again many thanx for all the responses I'm overwhelmed. :D
Gophers are evil.
Joaquin B
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Joaquin B »

I shot my best High Power Silhouette score to date, a 25/40, at Rio Salado Gun Club in Mesa, Arizona, a few years ago with my .30-06 "two-legged varmint rifle".

Recoil does not bother me at all and does not affect my scores. My problem is "headspace" :) .

Happy New Year To All !!!
Joaquin B
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Jaquine, moat of us suffer from that head space problem. I have had a real bad problem the last two years and I hope I am starting to come out of it a little this year. Also, I have noticed as I get older I get, the worse shape I am in and that is also hurting the scores.
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

Jerry;

You haven't got a head space problem, it's just the low lifes you hang around with. Unload Crackers and the Fat Boy and get a real spotter and you'll do better! I bet Blondie would spot for you!

dwl