State Championship Match Info

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
NewAZShooter
A Poster
A Poster

State Championship Match Info

Post by NewAZShooter »

Is there any single central place to find information on all of the State matches coming up in 2008? I don't even have the info yet for our AZ matches in all disciplines but I did see BASF Phoenix is hosting HP, and Tucson might be hosting pistol this year in late April.

I found the info here on Steel Chickens about the National matches and a few of the other big ones, but so many are so far from where I live. Might have to plan on just one of the big matches like Winnsboro. Suggestions if I can only make one big trip? Newbie advice for my first big match is always welcome. Please feel free to PM me if you don't want to post.

I am currently shooting smallbore and high power rifle and .22 LR smallbore hunters pistol silhouette. Am hoping to shoot hunters pistol soon also. I have been shooting both NRA and IHMSA/ASRPA matches at Ben Avery Shooting Facility in Phoenix, AZ for pistol. I have a few months off in the spring and I'm thinking of setting up a road trip to hit some matches in 2008 around April to June, somewhere in there.

I just got started in the shooting sports about 7 months ago, but its a ton of fun and with time off, I'd drive to neighboring state matches at least, if not farther. Anyone out there doing a circuit of silhouette matches in 2008?

Thanks!
~JW

Love it when those chickens fly!

CZ 452 Silhouette
Ruger 10/22 W/ Clark Custom Barrel, B&C Anschutz Style Stock
Interarms Mark X 30.06
Browning BuckMark .22LR
T/C .22 LR, .22 Hornet
Ruger GP-100 .357 Mag
papabear
A Poster
A Poster

Post by papabear »

If you are going to shoot just one(1) big match a year, the Southern Nationals in Winnsboro will be a great choice.
Competitive and very "INFORMATIVE".....
PaPaBeAr

I'm confused...
Wait...
Maybe I am not.
jneihouse
Distinguished Master Poster

Post by jneihouse »

Anyone out there doing a circuit of silhouette matches in 2008?

Several folks shoot a "circuit" though there isn't a special "circuit" to shoot....We try to make the Southern Trifecta, which is the Sunshine Classic in Jacksonville, the Southern Nationals in Winnsboro La and the Midsouth Classic in Arkansas in September.......Also the Conard Bernhard Cup in PeEll Washington is a "must make at least once in your life" type of match....and I like to include the NRA National Championships in the circuit, though some will disagree due to some controversy over trophies and some wrangling over "issues" in the past.........My advice, from a seasoned shooter, don't let the "issues" get in the way of your enjoyment of the sport and make all of the matches, both big and small, that you can.........All are good......and all have a different "flavor"......The big, independent, matches offer door prizes and an outrageous level of fun....the NRA nationals are, well, the NRA nationals and deserve the respect of all our shooters due to the level of competition if not the trophies and prizes awarded, and the local matches offer a huge amount of fun and fellowship and a tremendous opportunity to train without the pressure to perform that comes with the "big" matches......

All are fun, the important thing is to get out and shoot......

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Gator
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Gator »

There is one on this site that the Webmaster is updating as we speak. Go to the home page and look at the Match Schedules. He can't put them in if he doesn't know about them. I just sent an update for the monthly matches as well as the State Championship for Chattanooga Tennessee for 2008.

c ya there
Gator

BTW - Happy Holidays to all and glad to see Kitty back in action. We worried a bit about him...
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

AZ state SB will be at 3point in Oct. I'll find the exact date and post it. If Shooting Sports were up to date we wouldn't be asking these questions.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Yep.. and that's why I didn't renew my subscription this year.
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

It's not only Shooting Sports that isn't up to snuff, I'm pretty sure it is the whole NRA, with the Silhouette Dept. on the tip of the iceberg. About 3 weeks after I shot my 10 rams to finish out my HP SR Grand Slam, I called one of the know nothings in the Dept. to see what the status of the pin was. They had no copy of the GS report. A quick call to Jim Hebenstreit, verified that he sent it. My next call was to Greg Connor and he said they didn't have it. My next question to Greg was did they receive the match report from Hassayampa and he said that the match directors didn't have to send a report after the match. I told him that I was a match director for 6 years and I knew better. I then sent a my copy of the report certified mail to Greg. I got the green copy back on the 3rd of December with nothing to follow. I sent a e-mail to the Silhouette Dept. asking if there was anyone there with a clue what was going on to please e-mail me back and I haven't gotten a reponse so what does that say?
Bob259
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Bob259 »

It's just like the commitee meetings every October, did anyone ever hear back on any outcome from this years. In today's enviroment how hard is it to post an overview out onthe web for everyone to see, comment on.
duckgumbo
Master Poster
Master Poster
Location: Winnsboro, Louisiana - Home of the Southern Nationals, the Greatest Show on Dirt!

Post by duckgumbo »

Jim,

I am sorry but if you are looking for sympathy, look in the dictionary between s**t and syphillus!

The NRA Silhouette department leaves a lot to be desired and I quit worrying about them when they would not listen to the majority of the shooters in what is best for the sport.

Winnsboro Gun Club has been screwed every which way you can by Mr. Connor and the Committee and we do not need them to have a successful match. The 2007 Southern Nationals was the largest match that we have had and it was just an approved match! We will run Registered NRA matches this year strictly for the benefit of our loyal competitors that want to be able to set records.

It is beyond me that the NRA with their almost unlimited source of funds does not have a better organized competitive shooting department. Do the Board of Directors have any influence? Supposedly the Board is made up of successful professionals in their respective fields. Maybe the Board is not getting the full story from the Committee Chairmen!

I have been so disgusted with the Silhouette Rules Committee that I do not even shoot on a regular basis anymore and have lost interest in the sport. We run the Southern Nationals for the privilege of visiting with our many friends from all over the country and want them to have a great time when they are in Louisiana.

All that being said, it will take a LOT of change in the NRA before we host any matches past our 20th anniversary match in 2010! Jerry and I are getting too old to put up with the BS!!!

Respectfully,
David G. McLemore
Sgt. O'Ducky
Ftard Troop
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

David, I have been in that dictionary before, however if there was another sanctioning body out there that shot silhouettes I would for certain be with them!
Gator
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Gator »

SAW THIS THREAD AS JUST A CHANCE TO GET ANOTHER SHOT IN.

RECKON THE NRA SHOULD BE IN BETTER SHAPE THIS YEAR WHAT WITH THE CHANGE TO NRA "POINTS" IN LIEU OF TROPHIES AT NATIONALS. A WIN-WIN? SURE. NOW THE NRA CAN KEEP THE MONEY SINCE PROBABLY MOST OF THE POINTS NEVER GET USED AND CERTAIN OF THE "MASTER" SHOOTERS DON
jneihouse

Post by jneihouse »

Used up all my NRA points........Started putting one in every request for money that I got from NRA and sending it back to them.....

Kitty
Commander in Chief, F Troop
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Used mine to pay entries for Nationals.
Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.
kevinpagano
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by kevinpagano »

Ok I have to say NRA points got me a coupl hats for my kid that I brought with me. WOW most other shooting sports give those out for free with entry fees. I am sorry I have actually considered going back to pistol shooting action sports this year. Well organized, good trophies, high participation, great publications and a value for your money. I must say I enjoyed the experience of shooting the nationals (my first in any shooting discipline) but the overall experience was a big let down.

Anyone want a slightly used 1712 for a good price? might need the money for me to buy some more pistols for me and my boys.

Kevin
Innocent
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Innocent »

Kevin,
The NRA nationals are not a good representation of the matches. Plan on attending at least one of the Trifecta or Conard Bernahardt matches then you will see a lot better match. Actually CO smallbore states were great this year also but on a smaller scale.

Mary
Proud member of SNOSS. I earned mine!
Proud member of IBDF Club...

Guilty until proven Innocent by the press.