Reloading 32-20

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Reloading 32-20

Post by H.Plummer »

I'm gearing up to load 32-20 for rifle using cast bullets and I'm interested to hear what others are doing, and having success with, regarding brands of dies, neck expanders, crimping, etc. I'm starting from scratch with Starline brass.
Any and all input about loading 32-20 will be greatly appreciated.

LG
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Reloading 32-20

Post by richard »

32-20 is my pistol cartridge rifle. Basic load is a 115 grain cast bullet from Lyman mold with 4.5 grains of unique. Dies are lyman and cases arew mostly Starline. I do lose some cases during reloading but I load them up to 25 times before disguarding cases. Nothing is too critical.
Rick B.
Richard
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

Thanks, Richard!
How are you crimping?
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

I do not crimp my bullets in and they do not move. 32-20 does not have enough recoil to move the bullets in case. Friction holds them fine.
Fun cartridge to shoot but if you don't want to reload shoot a .22 magnum which is what my friends have gone to.
Richard
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

Makes sense!
I really enjoy reloading and consider it a part of the sport.
I'm also a huge fan of the old western cartridges and would MUCH rather load & shoot 32 WCF than 22 mag.
To me, and only to me, it's more fitting in a lever action rifle.
DonM
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by DonM »

The dies I use are a really old set of Hornady dies. I like the Lyman bullet cast from 16-1 or #2 alloy, and the RCBS 100 gr swc bullet shoots well. Also have an ancient Winchester tong tool I use occasionally.
Powders unique and lilgun, with lilgun getting the most use.
CCI small pistol primers.
Preferred cases are ww, with rp a close second. Have some Starline but don't care much for them.
On the ASSRA forum classifieds, there's a fella selling 4 bags of ww brass. Price is a bit steep, but might want to see if they're still available before they go on Gunbroker and the price goes way goofy.
PAndy
B Poster
B Poster

Post by PAndy »

I have two 32-20 rifles and both are fussy about accuracy. I have found no shortcuts in load development, so I suggest you try different bullet weights and powder burn speeds.
115 gr cast is where I would start for a bullet. I had good luck with GT Bullets 100gr hp last spring, but their seven month turnaround time is too slow for me.
Brass is scarce but fortunately cases have lasted me a very long time.
jnyork
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by jnyork »

For my little Marlin used in silhouette, I use Lee dies with very tiny bit of crimp. 8.5 grains of Lil Gun and an Oregon Trail 115 grain cast bullet in Starline brass. I have used this for over 14 years now with no problems at all, knocks down the rams with elan. I have had a couple cases split necks, but they have been loaded so many times I have lost track of the number.