lever action caliber thoughts

Centerfires, rimfires, pistol cartridges and everything in between.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

lever action caliber thoughts

Post by ChuckD »

So I have always thought of shooting a .44 mag for center fire and pistol cartridge. I recently got a .454 Casull and 45LC is much easier to shoot. Got thinking- 44 mag or 45 LC for both. Thoughts or +/- to the mentioned calibers or potential plan?

Ya its winter.

Thanks
chuck
DAVIDMAGNUM
A Poster
A Poster

Re: lever action caliber thoughts

Post by DAVIDMAGNUM »

I have never talked to anyone that is happy with 45 Colt rifle accuracy at 100 meters let alone 200 meters.

I personally tried using a 45 Colt rifle for the pistol and rifle caliber games. I personally know two people that tried to make this work. Despite valiant efforts the three of us failed to get good results.

I have no personal experience or 2nd hand knowledge of anyone trying to use the 44 Magnum for both games.
In the days of old when men were bold, and a quarter was still worth a dime.
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Jetmugg
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Jetmugg »

Following. .44 Magnum seems like it would have a greater chance of success.

I'm interested in either case.

Steve
TheBugFather
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by TheBugFather »

44 mag

Dennis
The Bug Father
...I don't like recoil, but I love to experiment.
elevenbravo
B Poster
B Poster

Post by elevenbravo »

The first "Cowboy" rifle I purchased was a 24 inch Marlin 1894, five years before I started shooting
lever action sil, started with cast bullets with not much success went to 180 gr XTP with 10grs Red Dot
for PC, very accurate never rang any animal, started LAR with 30-30, recoil was a problem as I have had many shoulder
operations due to motorcycle mishaps, tried the 44 mag but the 180/10gr RD didn't have enough spit on rams.
I now use 240 XTP with 20grs 2400 on rams only, 180/10 RD on all others, still very accurate and has what is needed
to take down rams as long as I do my part. two years ago at our local ranges I cleaned 30 rams in a row in one month,
also, loading a straight wall case with carbide dies is a joy compared to all others