A Happy Birthday

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
Hoser
B Poster
B Poster

A Happy Birthday

Post by Hoser »

I got to spend my 38th birthday at the range yesterday with my two kids. It was not a silhouette match, but a tactical rifle match. So we did shoot nothing but steel targets out to 425 yards. Does that count?

Both the guys appreciated my suppressed 22BR instead of the nasty blast from the above AR.

Best birthday to date.

unkmike7
A Poster
A Poster

Post by unkmike7 »

Happy Birthday! No...It doesn't count....(Unless, you hit all the targets...Like we do when we shoot silhouettes)??.......
Hoser
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hoser »

unkmike7 wrote:Happy Birthday! No...It doesn't count....(Unless, you hit all the targets...Like we do when we shoot silhouettes)??.......
In fact I did hit all the targets. Even with that 1-4 S&B scope. At 425 yards, a 10 inch plate is plenty small and it moves around a lot more than the 250 yard ones. My back up AR-15 has a Trijicon Accupoint 1.5-5.

The targets we shoot at are called MGM Flash targets and LaRue Sniper targets. We shoot from awkward field positions like the ones below. It is usually 5-7 total targets to be engaged from 4-5 different positions ranging from 200-425 yards. I have even made up some turkey and pig faces for the flash targets for our monthly handgun (IHMSA) silhouette matches.

Its just as hard as Silhouette as fastest time after penalties wins, so you are huffing and puffing by the end of the stage. But luckily there isnt more than 10-15 total required offhand shots.

Every once in a while I will shoot my Tubb2000, just cause I can.

dryfire
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dryfire »

Hoser
Did you get a big slobbery b-day kiss from your K-9 cheering squad?
Your tactical matches look interesting. Do any of your group use any
cartridge other than 5.56 in the ARs ?
Do you ever hold longer range unknown distance sniper matches ?
A bit of a departure from silo but my curiousity is aroused.
Cheers
Hoser
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hoser »

My kids are always there with a big kiss no matter what. On the way home we stopped off at a good spot for Quail and let them get a workout.

Most guys use 223s. I ran a 223 Ackley for a season. Occasionally a 6.8 or a Grendel shows up. Other than 223, its 308s in M1As and AR-10/SR-25s.

Two of us shoot Tubb2000s, me with a 6XC and Dr Rhodes with a 308. Some boltgunners use AIs in 260 and 308.

Its good fun and really emphasizes trigger control while your heart is pounding and you have a crappy rest.

Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

If thoes are your kids, I'm not sure I want to meet your wife.
Hoser
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hoser »

Jerry G wrote:If thoes are your kids, I'm not sure I want to meet your wife.
She buys me guns, lets me buy guns and gives me weekends to play at the range...
mordecai
Forum Fiddler
Forum Fiddler

Post by mordecai »

Nice... That must be a dry-state sport though. :wink:
ImageImage
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

Nah.. if you shoot that match in western WA in any month other than July or August, you just have to wear scuba gear... :)