Box mag Versus floor plate.

More expensive to feed, but worth it.
savagefan
B Poster
B Poster

Box mag Versus floor plate.

Post by savagefan »

Hi, did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for. I'd like to hear from the seasoned shooters if you have a preference for either mag. system for a hunter class rifle, this rifle may also be used to hunt deer. Thanx in advance.
Gophers are evil.
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

I'm not seasoned, but in a situation where weight allows it I prefer a floorplate. IMHO its a safety preference.
If something happens at the range mid string and you must make your rifle safe and rack it while loaded one can dump the mag instead of cycling rounds through the chamber.

Hunting, same thing.

Rifles with a 3 position safety are better than nothing for a blind mag, preferably a safety on the bolt.

and the obligatory legal disclaimer:
ALWAYS HAVE MUZZLE POINTED IN SAFE DIRECTION AND FINGERS OUTSIDE OF TRIGGER GUARD WHEN ROUNDS ARE CHAMBERED UNTIL READY TO FIRE.
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
savagefan
B Poster
B Poster

Post by savagefan »

Woops, sorry I meant a detachable box-mag. :oops:
Gophers are evil.
sobrbiker883
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by sobrbiker883 »

Lots of folks use BDM's, think Tikka, Sako, etc.......

If its got a protruding mag I don't believe you can use it for rifle support though.
Usually shooting scores right in class, too bad its the class below my classification!

Steve E
savagefan
B Poster
B Poster

Post by savagefan »

Excellent point.
Gophers are evil.
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

Hear bad things about the Remington DBM at the sporting goods store but saw people using them at Missoula (except for Mordecai!). Are the Remington DBMs worth using/. Anyone want to fill me in with actual experience?

dwl
Jim Beckley
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Jim Beckley »

Have never owned one. When the .260 became popular for silhouette, it seemed like everyone was shooting one in HR, but you don't seem to see any around anymore, the detachable box magazine would affect your COL, not the best of situations especially with a long throat. IMHO
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

DWL, in my opinion those Rem detachable magazines were not designed properly and we had lots of problems with them, that is one of the reasons you do not see them any more. Those detachable magazines besides not working properly do not offer any advantages to those that have them since you have to use two of them for a five round string. A lot of people view Rem attempt at DM's as a failure and that is why Rem discontinued using them in their hunting rifles. Another more powerful reason is because a lot of us that had them have gone to custom stocks like the ones made for Mark Pharr.
savagefan
B Poster
B Poster

Post by savagefan »

Interesting Lone Ringer, are the mark Pharr custom stocks not compatible with detachable mags?
Gophers are evil.
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

I use a DM 260 without any issues. I load 3, then push 1at a time into the mag for the last two shots. The only limitation is the COL. I load to 2.790. The recommended COL is 2.800 so I do not see too much of a disadvantage. My rifle shoots 3/4 MOA stock.

Back to the orginal subject, I use remington brass and it works fine.

Question, if I wanted to use Lapua 243, how do you neck up the brass?
tim
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

savagefan, I am sure that if you wanted to incorporate a DM to a Mark Pharr stock Mark, Evelio or somebody else would accommodate your wish but I have not seen anybody wanting to do that yet.

I do have to tell you that depending on how you hold the rifle with your forward hand sometimes those DM's get in the way of the hold and can be rather painful specially with ram loads.

I do not think that Remington hunting rifles feed the cartridges as good as others like Winchester, Sako, Tika, etc. I for one like to build mine with a blind magazine a la ADL and only load one round at a time through the magazine.
dwl
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by dwl »

Affect my hold?! That's off my list for sure. Thanks guys. Thanks Tony.
timfinle
A Poster
A Poster

Post by timfinle »

the remington 700 dm magazine does not extrude from the bottom so it does not effect a hold on the rifle.
tim
Silo65
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Silo65 »

timfinle

When I necked up Lapua 243, I used a standard RCBS full body die with a Redding carbide tappered sizing button. Lubed the ID of the necks and body with Imperial Sizing Die wax, a little goes a long way. The tappered sizing button and lube make it pretty simple. Same process for necking down 308, just be sure that the neck diameter fits you chamber.
K Danz
B Poster
B Poster

Post by K Danz »

Folks,
Having had troubles with the DM mags from Remington, I came across a nifty little tool from H-S Precision. It is a Magazine Feed Lip Tool that allows you to tweak the feed lips for any cartridge you can think of. It has dimensions listed for different cartridges, but I have yet to match any of those dimensions. I'm not sure how you're supposed to use those dimensions anyway.

Geting back to the actual tool use, you slide it onto the feed lips of the mag and bend it in or out depending on your needs. Since I am also an avid IPSC shooter, I know that any dropout magazine can be finicky and since I was used to working with feed lips with my IPSC guns, I figured I could handle the task.

Any way, end result, I have six of these magazines for 3 different rifles and 5 of them work 100% of the time now. I have 1 that I just can't get right.

Now Im fairly sure that most folks out there like myself bought the Remington detachable mag guns did it so that they could preload both mags since you can only fit 4 rounds into them. However since the rule was changed to bringing "5 loose rounds" to the firing line, the perceived advantage is a moot point.

Personally, I just leave the mag in the gun and load it like an internal box/floorplate gun anyway.

Brownells has this tool if you are interested.

Now I know the description says it for use with H-S Precision mags only, but it will work with the remington mags.

Part # 393-000-015

Catalog 59, page 13