Sling for weight on light hunter rifle

This is what we do.
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

Sling for weight on light hunter rifle

Post by CoolArrowMarksman »

Is it a viable idea to attach a padded carry sling to a light Hunter class rifle to give more weight up front?
Of course abiding by the rules of not using it to support the rifle.

I’m using a CZ 457 with the American stock and it weights in at 7.2 pounds. I figure adding a padded sling to the rifle might help add weight in the front to help tip the barrel forward a bit more than it is currently.

has anyone tried this?
Heavybarrell
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Sling for weight on light hunter rifle

Post by Heavybarrell »

Mill out the barrel channel and put stick on tire weights. Slings aren't allowed and tire weights will allow you to place much more weight.
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

“ 3.13 Slings - Slings may be attached to the rifle but may not be used for support of the hand or arm.”

I won’t be using it as a support.

Also it has verrry little meat left on the barrel channel as the channel was cut for a bull barrel.
It’s the wood stock for a Varmint 457 actually, with stippling instead of checkering.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

Will the sling hang down and become a pendulum and cause more wobble? I guess you can cinch iy up but usually slings are made to not weigh a lot, so again yiu would be better off putting in some lead weight in the channel. There is a reason it is not done
CoolArrowMarksman
B Poster
B Poster

the pendulum bit makes sense.
I'll have someone take a look and see if it's viable at all with the bull barrel channel
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Why not just add some weights to the barrel. I assume because it's a bull barrel you're using it for Standard Rifle? You can buy some cheap collars at a hardware store to adapt to the barrel size.
ppkny
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

It’s not something I would do too much movement chance. Having said that most times weight my rifles muzzle heavy. Mostly sheet lead in the stock under the barrel . Rifles are different though might have to do another way. If it is standard rifle muzzle weights easy to make,find somebody with a lathe.

Personally I think there is advantage same rifle Hunter and Standard even If giving up weight when shooting as standard.

Boats