Newbie question about 22lr ammo

General BS, Match Results, Upcoming Events and all around Gossip...
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Newbie question about 22lr ammo

Post by H.Plummer »

Is it an issue to switch back and forth between two types of 22lr ammo? Like switching between CCI standard velocity with a lead bullet and CCI mini mags with a copper plated bullet.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Re: Newbie question about 22lr ammo

Post by Merlin »

Just a thought but if you are going to HV for extra thump at 100 yards consider CCI Blazer.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

Not necessarily going for more thump but I have limited rear sight adjustment with my Skinner peep so going to HV helps at 100 yds.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Shouldn’t be a problem as long as you know your sight setting or hold for the ammo you are using for the given animal it will be used on. The HV and standard velocity target ammo will likely not have interchangeable sight settings. Did that answer your question? Or was I totally off in left field?
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

My question wasn't very clear. I understand the sight setting/hold position difference. My question was more about barrel fouling going from lead to copper or visa versa, and if that will affect accuracy.
Last edited by H.Plummer on Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

H.Plummer,
Please need a little more info. What type of silhouette are you shooting? Is this lever gun or regular SB. CCI Blazer ammo is historically not very accurate. You should consider Eley Force if you need more velocity.
ppkny
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

This is for smallbore lever action but I guess it could apply to other 22lr disciplines.
I'm content with the accuracy of both types of ammo I mentioned. I was just wondering if accuracy will noticeably suffer when switching back and forth between a lead bullet and copper plated bullet.
Merlin
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by Merlin »

Don't know the answer to your question but.... It takes a number of shots fired to coat or lube the rifle bore with the wax coating of your bullets - "generally" ~1 per inch of the barrel length to properly coat/season the bore. If you fire a copper bullet it "seems" likely that after firing the copper and removing the wax inside the barrel your barrel would need/require additional lead bullets to again season the barrel for best performance. Probably the first copper clad bullets would also be affected by the wax buildup laid down by the non clad bullets.

Total speculation on my part.
"Only God can judge me." Merlin

"Merlin..Your'e a rimfire whore." God

NRA Lever Action Silhouette - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....
TSRA Lifer
NRA Patriot Patron Lifer
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

Thanks Merlin, that is EXACTLY my concern. Hopefully someone will comment that can give their experience doing this.
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

I would expect a horizontal shift when going between those ammos, also might take a bank to get back to previous zero after shooting copper.
Why not just go with a lower front post?
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

Grantmac,
The Skinner peep is limited in how low it will go and how high it will go.
With the current height of my front sight, and my rear at It's lowest setting, I'm on at 40/50 yards with SV ammo. If I install a lower front sight it will raise my point of impact and I can't lower my rear any more to lower my point of impact to get back on target.
A lower front sight would help me at 100 yards but screw me up at the closer distances. That's why I was thinking about using HV ammo at 100 yds because it has less bullet drop and I'll have enough rear sight adjustment.
I MIGHT have enough rear sight adjustment to shoot SV at 100 yds but I was not able to confirm that before we got buried in snow and frigid weather.
Am I making any sense?
Grantmac
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Grantmac »

Lower post and aim at the chicken feet? I seem to end up aiming at the feet either way.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

.22’s are so unpredictable from one to the next the only way to know for sure if your rifle will be effected by the copper washed and non copper washed bullets is shot groups while switching back and forth. The other question would be if it does matter, does it matter enough to matter.

I will say from experience, if you pick one ammo and stick with it through the match your life is much simpler and you can put the lube and copper wash worry to bed.

I shot several matches using three different .22 mag loads and shot Nationals using three different .357 loads during Highpower. It’s a pain and adds extra potential for mistakes and fills your head with logistic thinking that’s not necessary. That said it doesn’t take much to be better at mental gymnastics than I am.
H.Plummer
A Poster
A Poster

Post by H.Plummer »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen!
Hopefully spring is around the corner and I can get out to do some testing.