Time for High Master Classification

This is what we do.
CoastDog
B Poster
B Poster

Time for High Master Classification

Post by CoastDog »

So what’s up with our game?
Every NRA event seems to have a High Master classification to acknowledge the exceptional skills some competitors have achieved. Rifle silhouette certainly has more than a handful. A half dozen names immediately come to mind, deservedly so.
The standard to make master is not an especially high bar anymore. Skills and equipment have come forward dramatically in the 30 years I’ve been in the sport.
If ya ain’t shooting a 34-36 you are not competitive in Master. The folks who occasionally shoot a master score are holding back or just plain stay away from bigger matches.
What do you guys think? 36, 37, 38 to make High Master? B-)
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Re: Time for High Master Classification

Post by 375Short »

Master seems plenty enough a high standard to me. My observations are making it to master is not easy for the majority or in fact never achieved by the majority and consistently shooting Master scores is accomplished by only a handful. The big matches I have watched the scoreboard on will likely not have half the master shooters shoot a master score. Maybe it’s just me but it seems plenty hard enough. I don’t see a lot of people getting board shooting 40x40 and moving on to something more challenging. That’s my opinion, the opinion of a common, struggling, competitor that loves shooting silhouette.
rogersptl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by rogersptl »

I see no need for another class either. Look at any score board and as 375 mentioned see how many masters fail to shoot a M score. I'd also like to see the 'post-down classing' require shooting the 3 higher score to return to that higher class. Your thoughts? Would it lead to 'sand bagging'? I don't think so. Best wishes
Close only counts with grenades and horseshoes.
Kujones
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Kujones »

How about a "High-Master" patch or pin for shooting a 35 (or 36 or 37) 3 or more matches in a row. No need for another classification but recognition and incentive for top-level shooting.
Kujones
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Kujones »

Or, a patch for averaging High Master scores for a year "High Master 2023". Again, no need for another classification which includes additional awards, etc at matches but still shows recognition for superior performance.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

It's fine as is. The overall winner is already not counted in the master class. Usually overall 1, 2 & 3 then first master and so on, so basically they already are separated
shakyhold
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shakyhold »

The original classification system had AAA as the top, Master was added to address the disparity of scores.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

Rogrsptl,

My thought is ask around and get a feel for what people think of that idea. It does seem logical to me that if you have gone through the process to move down in classification that the process to move up would apply as it did in the first place, 3 to move. The shoot ONE higher score and you move up again seems a little harsh. Like you , I just don’t see sand bagging being much of an issue and for those that feel the need to do it “whatever”, if that makes them feel good and sleep well at night great for them. The most of use walk to the line and just try and hit the most animals we can. But again, I haven’t witnessed any widespread or maybe any sand bagging.
RBriscoe
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by RBriscoe »

It’s just more work (and expense) for the match director.
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

Having just witnessed another competitor shooting a 40 at Leveraction Nationals at Ridgway.I think it is worth considering some sort of recognition towards High Master,similar to a Grand Slam.An additional class is a nightmare to a match director and expense.
The Facts,the Effort,the Results.
The Facts,having participated in SB( master both) HP (AAA both)[achieved in my 40s]for many years and not shooting those kind of scores for at least 5 years.I asked to be downgraded in 2021.Now at 70 it’s a lot tougher game so changes were made.The changes were switching to a 2 stage trigger ,better ammo and 10x power on the scope in SB.Made master with 40x and single stage trigger way back.
HP AAA was made using 7-08 and 308 ,168s and 20x scope.Switched to 6.5 TCU for HP and 10x scope.All my rifles were factory stocks.
Custom stocks were tried but didn’t do anything for that effort and expense.
The Effort,over the winter lots of SB ammo was expended indoors at 50’ and outdoors on the Chris Winstead chicken on ram target at 40 and 60 meters.
The Results,at the SB Lapua Super Shoot at Ridgway ,I managed to squeak one point in to master class in hunter class out of 10,40 shot matches.At the HP Sierra Classic also at Ridgway,once again squeaked in by one point in AAA Hunter.
The rules are the rules,yet moving back to previous class with one point in seems more of a penalty.3 times is befitting of earning it.
Now to beat the dead horse.Without the books showing each previous match.Whose responsibility is it and when is it officially recognized to upgrade?I had to show my new downgraded card to the match director so it would be consistent to expect the same to upgrade classifications.
I won’t sandbag but it’s a situation that needs addressed.