This is what we do.
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

2023 NM Smallbore Championship

Post by 375Short »

Hosted by the High Lonsome Silhouette Club in Hobbs NM

https://highlonesomesc.org/

Entry forms will be available on the website at a later date. Contact information for the club is available on the website. I believe the match details will also be available on the NASSA website.
Hawkeye_12
Unclassified Poster

Re: 2023 NM Smallbore Championship

Post by Hawkeye_12 »

entry forms are available on the web site. There is still time to join us for the event!!! Last year we had over 70 shooters over the two days of competition.

www.highlonesomesc.org
Hawkeye_12
Unclassified Poster

Post by Hawkeye_12 »

we have nearly 100 shooters over the two day event already signed up, but there is still time and room for people to join us!!!! entry forms can be emailed to the assistant match director using the email on the website. hope to see everyone soon!!!
lone ringer
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by lone ringer »

You guys are doing great compared to other states like the one I reside in, that have a hard time getting 20 shooters at their state SB and HP rifle silhouette championships. Le us know what the secret is.
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

I'm excited! Should be a hoot. Arrive at my hotel later Thursday and plan to spend the day Friday banging swingers for practice. My new job (and the 100+ degree days for the last 2 months) has really put a hitch in my practice schedule.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
acorneau
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by acorneau »

cedestech wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:26 pm ... plan to spend the day Friday banging swingers for practice.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allen Corneau
375Short
A Poster
A Poster

Post by 375Short »

How does Hobbs NM draw a large number of shooters?

Three reasons. Welcoming personalities from the volunteer management and local shooters. They often shoot big targets and recognition of achievement. Regular scheduled matches include Big Targets (1/2 scale and 3/8), these big targets draw shooters because they are fun and they see improvement rather quickly. A portion of the big target shooters gradually feed the NRA 1/5 scale matches. Recognition of achievement is accomplished through tracking and publicly posting scores and Slam progression on all size targets. For a big portion of the clubs history you even received a T shirt for hitting the mile stone’s such as Slams and 40x40. Not every competitor is striving to be the next national champion, the majority just want to have fun and winning a T shirt is fun.

One tends to assume that the 1/2 scale targets may be an easy 40x40 for an accomplished NRA Smallbore shooter using a finely tuned SB rifle. Not so, it is certainly easier, but perfect scores are only shot occasionally even by the best. To my knowledge perfect scores shot by more than one shooter in a single match has occurred VERY few times. Shooting big targets isn’t without challenges and it keeps people showing up. When they shoot 1/2 scale it is also an NRA leveraction match at the same time with appropriate official NRA rules for that game.

Occasionally a NRA 1/5 scale purist will grumble about the big target matches wasting time for official matches. They also tend to show up and shoot the big targets as well and would have far less competition at the NRA matches if not for the big target program.

The truly driven competitor, working hard to be a National Champion is the minority and they will push themselves. A club by design should not creat obstacles for this minority to excel and will have a great deal of pride when one of these exceptional talents is from their club. That said, day in and day out you need to provide for the majority to enjoy silhouette and keep coming back, one of them is your club’s or your state or your nations next champion.
richard
A Poster
A Poster

Post by richard »

375 you have the right idea. I mainly now shoot air rifle field target and have a similar situation. Ft has a lot of flexibility regarding how the course is set up compared to an NRA sport where there are specific range standards. I have done both FT and Silo for years and shooters like to hit a lot of targets so why make it more and more difficult all the time favoring only the top shooters? It's nice to be a purist and have challenging matches but all of the mediocre shooters that just want to have a good time are chased away. Having a less difficult course does not make it all that easy and can still provide a challenge for even most of the top shooters. My club runs an indoor silo match in the winter with quite large animals. The match is very well attended and only a few have cleaned the match but most shooters can knock down some animals. Yea it's not pure silo but it is still lots of fun and everyone looks forward to it.
Richard
hermit5
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by hermit5 »

375,BINGO,your evaluation of silhouette is correct,and so is Richard.